Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #141
Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
I'm still fairly new here; but these threads come along on a pretty regular basis.

OP - better tires (LT rated vs. the P's that are likely there now) inflated properly, and tranny cooling will help. PROPERLY installed and setup WDH with sway control is a must - and just because the dealer installed it, doesn't mean it's properly set up.

But nothing (air bags, extra springs, a tuner chip, magic seat covers, or anything else) will increase the legal weight ratings and capacities of your truck. The sticker on the door jam is what it is. Period.

Many people run overweight or overloaded in one or more of their rig's ratings - some by choice, many by ignorance (not in a negative way; ignorance as in unaware)... And most do so without ever having an issue.

You should be aware of the weights, ratings, and where your setup falls - if you're mildly over some of your ratings, and you're OK with that; that's on you - at least you're aware, and making an informed choice.

If you're wildly over (and some here, who tow substantial 5vers or TT's with 1/2t or even 3/4t are, in my opinion) - well then you're being reckless; but that's also your choice to make - and accept the potential consequences it brings.

There is an emerging trend in personal injury/auto accident lawsuits, to dive deeper into the vehicles then before; even if some here don't believe it. A quick bit of Google can show you lawyers advertising for "hurt by an RV?" business - and specifically mentioning things like overweight setups.

I towed with a 1/2t - and it did the job - but even with LT tires, a properly setup hitch, etc; it never felt the way I wanted it to under my ass. Relatively long trailer, light truck, short wheelbase - it just wasn't enjoyable to drive for any length of time.

My solution was more truck. I went with a substantial upgrade to be ready (and legal) for the planned 5ver that's in my future - but that's me.

If you can try a few simple things (tire pressures, type of tires, WDH setup) - you may be happier with the ride. Or you may find it's still not the experience you want it to be; and end up truck shopping...

Only you know what's right for you. We can offer suggestions and guidance - but not one of us knows the right answer, despite what some may say.
If I wanted to ensure that my WDH was properly set up, where would you suggest I go? Is the RV Store a good place, a mechanic? How should I check it?
rbreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #142
Coachman 312BHDS

I did a thread of setting up the Husky TS Centerline WDH if you happen to have one of those. You MUST make use a scale like a CAT to set it up properly (about $10.50 to get it weighed multiple times in 24 hours). Anything else is guessing and the dealer and my original guesses were way off. I transferred over 300 lbs. to the front truck axle and some back by the time I got done. Now it is two finger steering. Before it was white knuckle. Although I am within specs - We are right at the 4050 lbs rear axle limit and payload when we are loaded heavily. It tows very well for such a long TT. There should be zero (not some) sway when you are done. Trucks and/or gusts should not cause sway. It should immediately correct if pushed a bit. I think maybe 75% of the folks I meet do not have their hitch setup properly on these large TTs. They try to do it on their own and go with what the dealer did. A few dealers do set them up properly but I don't believe most spend the time with your truck to do it right.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #143

Quote:
They try to do it on their own and go with what the dealer did. A few dealers do set them up properly but I don't believe most spend the time with your truck to do it right.
SOme trial and error is necessary...

you can start with measuring the height of your front fender from the ground... measure the center line of your front tire to the lower lip of the fender with nothing loaded.

Then load the truck and trailer and hitch it up. The WDH should move the front fender back down to where the initial measurement was, or at least within 1/2 inch or so.

search on you tube for videos... I found a bunch for different mfg by searching "how to use a weight distribution hitch"

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #144
Coachman 312BHDS

Well I used the fender measurements initially and the weight was still wayyyyyy off. It was not even close so that isn't a good alternative to weighing it. Sorry.

Yes T&E is necessary. I weighed the truck by itself once and the entire rig five times as we adjusted it.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Will ask again, why do 3/4T and larger trucks insist on commenting on a 1/2 ton truck thread? They offer absolutely nothing to the thread for the benefit of the OP.

Many have asked similar questions and it hasn't ended well. I guess that's the nature of forums. Lots of folks just comment with out reading the post. Most of those same people are the ones that talk more than they listen. The end result is usually not helpful and not appreciated. When that is pointed out you end up with labels on people. I have seen your rig OC and I believe you have travelled more than most. Continued safe travels. Maybe we will see you in Florida again this year.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #146

I use a 2015 Titan pro4x with tow package, tow a 2011 coachman Catalina fbs24.
Trailer weight dry 4995
Add stuff 1500 and you get 6500#
Right now it has p rated tires but will be change to LT rated tires at first tire change
Pulled from Thunder Bay ontario to Niagara Falls Ontario this past August for vacation
The truck is rated for 9300#
I found the truck to be VERY capable of towing the trailer with no issues
I'm using an older Reese equalizer hitch with no sway control
If you have driven the north shore of Lake Superior you are familiar with Montreal river hill, it's a 3 kilometre 6% hill with a 60kph corner at the bottom so you can't even get a run at it
I topped it at 80kph without a problem and with construction being on just about every long downhill the brakes worked perfectly
The Titan worked very well and I was quite happy with it
For a larger trailer I would use LT tires and sway control and pull up to 32 feet watching the weight an such without hesitation
Don
doneuald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #147
Coachman 312BHDS

In reviewing the Titan's specs I was surprised how capable it is spec'd at.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #148
Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
In reviewing the Titan's specs I was surprised how capable it is spec'd at.
It's a really good truck for the price.
rbreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #149
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
... Maybe we will see you in Florida again this year.
Hope we see you too. Will be in TT starting 06Dec for 2 weeks and then Fawn Ridge for 2 weeks.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade