Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk341 View Post
It's amazing how far trucks have come. My truck in my signature has a gvwr of 11,500. I think the dually's today are 14,000 gvwr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithfirefighter View Post
I agree my 16 3500 SRW Mega Cab has a GVWR of 12300 !
yes .... everyone I am sure is tired of hearing about my new Ram 3500 SRW ... GVWR is 12300 and with current 5th wheel hooked up I have available an additional 2100 lbs of payload and over 10,000 lbs towing ... did I mention my payload is 4395 lbs
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #62

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	221716
Old 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM   #63

For starters, I can't believe nobody has said this yet:

1) If you truly want to upgrade from your F150, get yourself a RAM (yeah yeah, I know - but someone had to poke that bear)

2) If finances are an issue, got out of the Communist Camp of California - or as someone else called it "Kommieformia".

OK, sorry … seriously though, here's a lesson I've learned the hard (read as EXPENSIVE) way.

I have a 2012 Ram 2500 4x4 crew cab short box with a 6.7 Cummins and a 2016 FR Flagstaff Classic Superlite that has a GVWR of 9,595. Truck has a tow capacity of 14,550, so I'm at (roughly) 60% capacity - right?

Sure, as far as TOWING capacity is concerned.

If you believe what you see on TV, a new 6 cylinder can pull this weight (what they don't say is that it could be pulled on a flat - if you're going up a steep grade all the blue haired old ladies in their Buick LeSabres will be passing you giving you the finger for going so slow).

The problem is the payload - OF BOTH the TV and the 5er.

The 5th wheel has a payload capacity of 1,468. Roughly 350 pounds of that is gobbled up by fresh water tank (we boondock a lot) - obviously for your intended purpose (other than the drag races) that wouldn't be a concern for you.

That leaves 1,118 of "stuff" that we can carry.

2 batteries, 2 propane tanks, mattress, tv, clothing, camping chairs and tables, charcoal, grill, tools, etc. - all of which are forward of the axles, then food and drinking water, utensils, plates, sofa, small recliner, games, and beer all behind the axles.

We're right at max capacity - fart twice and we're overweight.

Let's say that everything is as balanced as it can be - and optimistic 15% on the tongue (pin). It's probably more like 20% weight forward, haven't scaled it yet, so I'm not sure. (I am considering carrying more beer in the back to counterbalance the weight - LOL)

9,595 x 15% (very optimistic) means a pin weight of roughly 1,440.

Unfortunately while I'm well under the "towing capacity" is 14,550, the max PAYLOAD of truck is 2,280.

37 gals of diesel @ 6.9 lbs/gal - 255 lbs, 250 lb hitch/receiver, 170 lbs me, 120 lbs DW (not actual, but she might read this some day), 90 lbs Jasper = 885 lbs in addition to the pin weight.

Guess what? The truck is over payload capacity.

A) I could carry less fuel and stop more often … (PITA)
B) I could leave the DW at home … (divorce would cost more than new truck)
c) I could leave the dog at home … (not an option - he doesn't argue with me)
D) I could leave the beer at home (LOL - OK, we're staying home this weekend)

Or E) I kick myself in the ***** and step up to a bigger truck ASAP.

I'm sure there are thousands of people pulling a setup like mine with a 3/4 ton diesel because at a quick glance the truck can do it - heck, I'm sure there's people pulling rigs just like mine with a 1/2 ton.

"Just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it".

In summation: get yourself a 1 ton (RAM) DRW.

JMNW

PB&J
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post
For starters, I can't believe nobody has said this yet:

1) If you truly want to upgrade from your F150, get yourself a RAM (yeah yeah, I know - but someone had to poke that bear)

2) If finances are an issue, got out of the Communist Camp of California - or as someone else called it "Kommieformia".

OK, sorry … seriously though, here's a lesson I've learned the hard (read as EXPENSIVE) way.

I have a 2012 Ram 2500 4x4 crew cab short box with a 6.7 Cummins and a 2016 FR Flagstaff Classic Superlite that has a GVWR of 9,595. Truck has a tow capacity of 14,550, so I'm at (roughly) 60% capacity - right?

Sure, as far as TOWING capacity is concerned.

If you believe what you see on TV, a new 6 cylinder can pull this weight (what they don't say is that it could be pulled on a flat - if you're going up a steep grade all the blue haired old ladies in their Buick LeSabres will be passing you giving you the finger for going so slow).

The problem is the payload - OF BOTH the TV and the 5er.

The 5th wheel has a payload capacity of 1,468. Roughly 350 pounds of that is gobbled up by fresh water tank (we boondock a lot) - obviously for your intended purpose (other than the drag races) that wouldn't be a concern for you.

That leaves 1,118 of "stuff" that we can carry.

2 batteries, 2 propane tanks, mattress, tv, clothing, camping chairs and tables, charcoal, grill, tools, etc. - all of which are forward of the axles, then food and drinking water, utensils, plates, sofa, small recliner, games, and beer all behind the axles.

We're right at max capacity - fart twice and we're overweight.

Let's say that everything is as balanced as it can be - and optimistic 15% on the tongue (pin). It's probably more like 20% weight forward, haven't scaled it yet, so I'm not sure. (I am considering carrying more beer in the back to counterbalance the weight - LOL)

9,595 x 15% (very optimistic) means a pin weight of roughly 1,440.

Unfortunately while I'm well under the "towing capacity" is 14,550, the max PAYLOAD of truck is 2,280.

37 gals of diesel @ 6.9 lbs/gal - 255 lbs, 250 lb hitch/receiver, 170 lbs me, 120 lbs DW (not actual, but she might read this some day), 90 lbs Jasper = 885 lbs in addition to the pin weight.

Guess what? The truck is over payload capacity.

A) I could carry less fuel and stop more often … (PITA)
B) I could leave the DW at home … (divorce would cost more than new truck)
c) I could leave the dog at home … (not an option - he doesn't argue with me)
D) I could leave the beer at home (LOL - OK, we're staying home this weekend)

Or E) I kick myself in the ***** and step up to a bigger truck ASAP.

I'm sure there are thousands of people pulling a setup like mine with a 3/4 ton diesel because at a quick glance the truck can do it - heck, I'm sure there's people pulling rigs just like mine with a 1/2 ton.

"Just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it".

In summation: get yourself a 1 ton (RAM) DRW.

JMNW

PB&J

Lol !! I second the get a Ram !! Lol ! But anyhow Ram,Ford and Chevy all make quite capable trucks! But in the end it boils down to what you are pulling ! Dont buy a camper that it to big for your truck ! I have a 16 3500 Ram srw and pull a 40' Fuzion toyhauler with triple slides (sold my Forest River) im almost at my limit in all weights but i also fill the bed up around the 5th wheel hitch with firewood. Ive seen a friend of mine that had to have a huge 38' toyhauler towed great with his f150 when the camper was empty but he loaded up 2 4wheelers and he couldnt go over 50mph i told him he didnt have enough truck he wouldnt listen to me and insisted it was the hitch so he kept adjusting it to no avail still swayed like crazy. Moral of the story is dont buy a camper to big for your truck or if your buying another truck by the bigger truck if you can swing it you dont want to have to get in trouble by the weigh police because at least in Pa they are cracking down on 3/4 ton trucks pulling 40'+ trailers especially if you look overloaded ! Nobody wants to have there vacation ruined by getting pulled in to a weigh location and told there not allowed to pull there camper with there truck because its overloaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_121329.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	221719  
Keithfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote