Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #1

Use of Trailer Toad for Over-Weight Tongue Problem

Does anybody have experience with using a Trailer Toad to offload trailer tongue weight from a 1/2 ton F150? We would like to purchase the Forest River 266RLDS but it applies when loaded 1178 lbs tongue weight which is ~600 lbs more than the truck allows with a GVWR limit of 6800 lbs. All other truck towing limitations are easily managed.

We understand the Trailer Toad has been used in many similiar over-tongue-weight applications but wanting to check with the Community for any related input prior to proceeding. Thank you.
Ussix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

I will be the first to say it. You need a different tow vehicle.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #3

I have never heard of it and had to look it up.

TrailerToad.com

I'm going to bet that only 1 or 2 people on this forum have any experience with it.

For the price, I think I'd look at a bigger truck.

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Why introduce another point for sway to generate? You will need sway control for both the TrailerToad and the RV.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Ussix, everything on their website, shows that this device is for use on a Motorhome, not a pickup truck. Especially not a 1/2 ton truck.
Both of their YouTube videos show use on a big Motorhome.
Unless I missed it, there's no indication it's for how you want it use it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #6

To add to questions is it legal in the states that you travel??? Could be considered double towing??

From their site>>>>>>>>>>

In almost every case that we hear back from a customer that tells us he is feeling some sway, it is simply the front of the trailer is higher than it should be. Most of us with heavy trailers have spent a lot of time trying to balance the trailer BEFORE we had the Trailer Toad. Now you can put that weight back in front, we like to see 15% of the gross weight of the loaded trailer on the ball, it let's the Toad do what it was designed to do, "carry the load".

If your trailer weighs over 10,000 lbs. we highly recommend you use the best equalizer hitch you can get. Look for a model with drawbar and components rated at 12,000 to 17,000 lbs. Some manufacturers feature trunnion bars while others have round-bar systems. We have a simple modification that allows the trunnion-style to function well with the Trailer Toad. We also offer "Equal-i-zer" and Curt brand hitch assemblies. American made and the best quality we can find for our customers.

************** Sounds like issues ==============

I personally am like the others using on a 1/2 ton is probably a bad idea.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #7

Perhaps all the "experts" here ought to take a look at the trucks on the highway they are passing or are being passed by.

This is no new idea. I've seen variations of it since the early 60's and pictures of similar setups going back to before WWII.

The only real difference between this setup and a "dolly" under the front of a semi trailer is the ball hitch.

Is it legal? I guess that depends on State Law where you live. Is it practical? I think I'd go the bigger truck route.

Sway? Properly loaded, good brakes with properly adjusted controller, why would it be any different than a semi towing a trailer on a dolly? Sway on "bumper pulls" is mainly an issue due to the distance from the pivot point (hitch) from the contact point of the rear tires of the tow vehicle. On this setup the hitch ball is right at the contact point of the tires.

Unless you have a huge motorhome and monster trailer like shown in the advertising, I'd forget about the TrailerToad and either buy a trailer that fits your truck or a truck that fits the trailer you want.

If you really do want one, just make sure your Check Book or Plastic is ready for $4,000 plus. (BTW, on Toll Roads you'll get nailed for an extra axle too).

There are numerous online reviews but beware. Most smell of "Manufacturer Sponsorship".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Ussix, everything on their website, shows that this device is for use on a Motorhome, not a pickup truck. Especially not a 1/2 ton truck.
Both of their YouTube videos show use on a big Motorhome.
Unless I missed it, there's no indication it's for how you want it use it.
Looks like ti works for trucks to
Are you getting serious about protecting your motor home or truck from damages caused by heavy trailer tongue weight?
Are you looking to reduce trailer sway and simply make your trip while towing a heavy trailer more enjoyable?
You are in the ONLY website that has a product that can answer both questions with two words: Trailer Toad
interesting option for trucks with enough towing ability but not enough payload
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #9

my research says the trailer has a dry weight of 6k pounds. what on earth are the specs of your f 150 that you are worried about towing 6k pounds?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #10

Dry weight is a fantasy number. The TT never really weighed that and never will.

I believe he's looking at a Surveyor 266RLDS. Per the FR website:

Surveyor 266RLDS - Surveyor Luxury Travel Trailers Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

His GVWR is 6089 lbs UVW + 1689 lbs CCC = 7778 lbs GVWR. So a TW of 10-15% would be 777 to 1166 lbs TW. A 12% TW would be 933 lbs.

Add another 50-100 lbs for a WDH, depending on type.

He will run out of payload before he gets to the "tow capacity."

Unfortunately, the only way to truly know your actual "tow weight" and "tongue weight" is to load it for camping and then go weigh it. Tough to do before you actually buy.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

Remember if you truck is too light to tow it, it is too light to stop it. I would think stopping would be a little bit more important.
DR Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #12

Lucy had one for the Long Long Trailer!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Quest View Post
Remember if you truck is too light to tow it, it is too light to stop it. I would think stopping would be a little bit more important.
I believe that's why trailers have brakes, controlled by the tow vehicle.

With this device the important number will be GCWR of the pickup or coach. That will answer whether there is enough drive train to pull the combination. The dolly pretty much negates the tongue weight (as part of the cargo capacity) issue.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:01 AM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Perhaps all the "experts" here ought to take a look at the trucks on the highway they are passing or are being passed by.

This is no new idea. I've seen variations of it since the early 60's and pictures of similar setups going back to before WWII.

The only real difference between this setup and a "dolly" under the front of a semi trailer is the ball hitch.

Is it legal? I guess that depends on State Law where you live. Is it practical? I think I'd go the bigger truck route.

Sway? Properly loaded, good brakes with properly adjusted controller, why would it be any different than a semi towing a trailer on a dolly? Sway on "bumper pulls" is mainly an issue due to the distance from the pivot point (hitch) from the contact point of the rear tires of the tow vehicle. On this setup the hitch ball is right at the contact point of the tires.

Unless you have a huge motorhome and monster trailer like shown in the advertising, I'd forget about the TrailerToad and either buy a trailer that fits your truck or a truck that fits the trailer you want.

If you really do want one, just make sure your Check Book or Plastic is ready for $4,000 plus. (BTW, on Toll Roads you'll get nailed for an extra axle too).

There are numerous online reviews but beware. Most smell of "Manufacturer Sponsorship".
I'd be leaning towards no in PA. It is simply a smaller version of a convertor dolly that is used by a tractor trailer to make a semi trailer into a full trailer. It would need tags, be inspected if it is rated over 3000lbs and be considered a double tow. Interesting concept but seems to me it might cause other issues in an effort to fix others..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I believe that's why trailers have brakes, controlled by the tow vehicle.

With this device the important number will be GCWR of the pickup or coach. That will answer whether there is enough drive train to pull the combination. The dolly pretty much negates the tongue weight (as part of the cargo capacity) issue.
The problem with “truck brakes stop the truck and trailer brakes stop the trailer” argument is getting those two to properly work in unison during an emergency situation. The truck has ABS to monitor wheel speed/lockup the trailer doesn’t so the chance by luck that you have trailer brakes adjusted exactly right is very slim. There’s still a very good chance the trailer will push the truck during emergency braking.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
The problem with “truck brakes stop the truck and trailer brakes stop the trailer” argument is getting those two to properly work in unison during an emergency situation. The truck has ABS to monitor wheel speed/lockup the trailer doesn’t so the chance by luck that you have trailer brakes adjusted exactly right is very slim. There’s still a very good chance the trailer will push the truck during emergency braking.

The newer model trucks with the 4 wheel ABS and integrated brake controller actually work quite well at managing the trailer brakes.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Lucy had one for the Long Long Trailer!

That was my thinking bet the 150 would have higher payload if it was convertible like Lucy’s
Old 01-30-2019, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post

So how is a 6k truck stoping a 7 k trailer any less safe than a 9 k truck stopping a 10 k trl I don’t get the reasoning. I would also go out on a limb and say that 3/4 ton and above truck owners are more likely to have the larger disparities than those towing with a 1/2 ton. I know most manufacturers use new sae j2807 that includes the SAME braking standards regardless of truck classification.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
So how is a 6k truck stoping a 7 k trailer any less safe than a 9 k truck stopping a 10 k trl I don’t get the reasoning. I would also go out on a limb and say that 3/4 ton and above truck owners are more likely to have the larger disparities than those towing with a 1/2 ton. I know most manufacturers use new sae j2807 that includes the SAME braking standards regardless of truck classification.
I see no mention of truck class or weights in my statement.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 AM   #20

That might be considered "Double Tow " in Florida. Not allowed. I would never try it with a 1/2 ton anyway.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, trailer, weight