Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #1

Value of the sliding rear window on a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
... Want the sliding rear window? You have to take a lot of other extras to get that package. ...
Not wanting to hijack the thread linked above about somebody's new TV, I'll create a new topic. I'm contemplating placing an order for an F150 XLT Crew w/ HDPP and Ecoboost. With added options, you can get an XLT almost up to the level of a Lariat, but can't get electric tow mirrors. That's almost a deal killer for me but I'm exploring the possibility of swapping Lariat electric mirrors for XLT manual mirrors.

As for the sliding rear window, it's an added option on the XLT. I'm questioning the value of adding it. I think I can live without it and the contacts to the defroster wires are subject to failure on the slider. (Mine is broken with the only repair I know of being $$$ replacement.) Can anyone share their wisdom/opinion on the value to them of the slider window?

As to why order an HDPP when I can buy an F250 off a lot, I want payload capacity, an EcoBoost and electric tow mirrors. I can live without leather seats and some other Lariat+-only items. I may be able to work around the mirrors not being in an XLT; I can't work around the EcoBoost not being available on the F250. (No diesel vs EcoBoost arguments, please.)

An HDPP might make it feasible to get a 4x4 (not FX4) and still come out ahead with payload capacity. The 4x4 isn't critical, though. I'd rather have the payload.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:45 PM   #2

For me, it is useless. Don’t want it open during the summer heat. Don’t want it open during the winter cold. If you are a smoker it might help getting smoke out of the cab. A solid one piece window is easier to see out. Back in the day of a standard cab truck it might be good. Virtually all trucks now are 4-door and you cannot reach the rear window.
My 2cents.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:58 PM   #3

For me it's a must. I have a topper over my bed and my pups usually ride back there. When they are back there, I keep the slider open on rear of cab and have a slider on front window of the topper. It makes it easy to keep tabs on them. Also there have been a few occasions where I had linger than normal lumber boards to haul and opening up the sliders made it much easier to transport with less hanging out the back.

As far as the rear defrost, Chevy has had a bunch of issues with those heating up and blowing out the back windows. IMHO, rear defrost on this is unnecessary. The rear defrost will automatically come on when remote starting in colder weather. I just pulled the fuse so it is no longer an issue...
Old 01-20-2022, 05:58 PM   #4

I found the rear windows very useful in the old days, with no AC on a hot summer day. Nowadays, I never use the one on my XLT. I wouldn't have paid for it on purpose, but I had no choice.

I replaced the XLT mirrors with aftermarket tow mirrors. Neither set have power fold, and the aftermarket tow mirrors power adjust like the originals. The only thing lost, was the driver side auto dimming. I do kind of wish I had power fold, as the tow mirrors i have are manual telescope and fold, and are quite wide even retracted. I don't want them bad enough to pay Lariat price, or custom wire lariat mirrors to work in the XLT though.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #5

I have had sliding rear windows on several trucks and have never had one open for more than a few moments to see if it worked. Completely worthless in my world.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #6

Thanks all for your comments. It seems the majority don't place much value in it. While I can see the usefulness with dogs in a topper, I have neither.

Regarding my interest in electric folding mirrors, I use them frequently. I often use my Lariat around town and have to fold the mirrors to get past drive-throughs, keypad entries and other obstructions. If I had to do that manually, I'd go nuts.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #7
PRB

While I rarely open mine, it does take the “flutter” out that you get while driving with the windows down. Allows the wind to flow through the cabin. Don’t know that I would order it if it didn’t come with one.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #8

I use the sliding rear window fairly often. It provides nice air flow with the windows open.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #9

Opening my rear slider in conjunction with opening my moonroof makes for great airflow. It quickly cools the cabin down. So I definitely like it.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:07 PM   #10
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Not wanting to hijack the thread linked above about somebody's new TV, I'll create a new topic. I'm contemplating placing an order for an F150 XLT Crew w/ HDPP and Ecoboost. With added options, you can get an XLT almost up to the level of a Lariat, but can't get electric tow mirrors. That's almost a deal killer for me but I'm exploring the possibility of swapping Lariat electric mirrors for XLT manual mirrors.

As for the sliding rear window, it's an added option on the XLT. I'm questioning the value of adding it. I think I can live without it and the contacts to the defroster wires are subject to failure on the slider. (Mine is broken with the only repair I know of being $$$ replacement.) Can anyone share their wisdom/opinion on the value to them of the slider window?

As to why order an HDPP when I can buy an F250 off a lot, I want payload capacity, an EcoBoost and electric tow mirrors. I can live without leather seats and some other Lariat+-only items. I may be able to work around the mirrors not being in an XLT; I can't work around the EcoBoost not being available on the F250. (No diesel vs EcoBoost arguments, please.)

An HDPP might make it feasible to get a 4x4 (not FX4) and still come out ahead with payload capacity. The 4x4 isn't critical, though. I'd rather have the payload.
You cannot get the higher level XLT with HDPP. Max tow, yes. HDPP, no. You can get the XLT 301a with max tow/HDPP combo as long as you get the 6.5' bed Supercrew or 8' bed Supercab.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:13 PM   #11

I have a camper shell on my bed. I do use the sliding rear window in the summer when parked to ventilate the cab without concern of anyone getting in. Other than than, never use the sliding window.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
I have a camper shell on my bed. I do use the sliding rear window in the summer when parked to ventilate the cab without concern of anyone getting in. Other than than, never use the sliding window.
Not having the electric tow mirrors would be a deal breaker for me.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:03 AM   #13

I've had the rear slider for seven years. Used it twice. Both times I forgot to close it and the cat got out. I opened it to hear the DW when she's standing at the rear corner of the truck watching an obstacle. Opening the back seat side window works just as well.

Got my first power folding/extending tow mirrors in 2020. Now a must-have.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
You cannot get the higher level XLT with HDPP. Max tow, yes. HDPP, no. You can get the XLT 301a with max tow/HDPP combo as long as you get the 6.5' bed Supercrew.
I am aware of that but, by adding a few items back in, you can get pretty close. They only thing I can't get that I'd prefer to have is heated leather seats. I'll survive. FWIW, I've seen a YouTube where, after about 6 months of use, the reviewer liked the cloth seats more than his Platinum. That's obviously subjective.

My ordering another truck is contingent upon being able to retrofit electric folding mirrors onto an XLT as described in this F150Forum megathread, without being just totally insane in cost. It know won't be cheap. I consider that part of the cost of the HDPP.

My order would be:
  1. XLT HDPP EB RWD 301A
    HDPP adds MaxTow which, in turn, includes the tow technology package and 36 gal tank
  2. Co-Pilot Assist
    to get adaptive cruise control and other driving aids. Includes nav, which I don't care about.
  3. Console with work surface
    not reproducible after market. I have a jump seat now and prefer storage and a surface
  4. Black (cheap) running boards
    cost comparable with after market
  5. Tailgate step
    not reproducible after market. includes box lights and other items
  6. Power-adjustable pedals
    for height-challenged co-pilot
  7. tow mirrors
    if having manual tow mirrors is not a requirement for swapping with electric folding mirrors, I won't get them.

Other stuff like all-weather mats, a tailgate damper and a tonneau cover is easy and cheaper after-market.

I have a factory spray-in bed liner. I'd like to include that but may be satisfied with an after-market bed mat. An after-market bed spray may be cheaper and as good. Will investigate. Suggestions?

Use of the term "includes" above may draw corrections from some readers. I don't mean it's included for free. Some items are "free" in the package; others add cost to the invoice.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Not having the electric tow mirrors would be a deal breaker for me.
It was for me, too. which is what led to my buying the Lariat I have now. In the meantime I learned about this retrofit project. The combination of an HDPP with an EcoBoost engine may be worth the hassle. I have yet to confirm that a) I possess the necessary skills and b) I'm willing to do it.

That thread is 200 pages long, much of which seems very repetitive, but I'll read it all and the references it includes before making a decision.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:33 AM   #16

Quote:
I am aware of that but, by adding a few items back in, you can get pretty close. They only thing I can't get that I'd prefer to have is heated leather seats. I'll survive. FWIW, I've seen a YouTube where, after about 6 months of use, the reviewer liked the cloth seats more than his Platinum. That's obviously subjective.

My ordering another truck is contingent upon being able to retrofit electric folding mirrors onto an XLT as described in this F150Forum megathread, without being just totally insane in cost. It know won't be cheap. I consider that part of the cost of the HDPP.

My order would be:
  1. XLT HDPP EB RWD 301A
    HDPP adds MaxTow which, in turn, includes the tow technology package and 36 gal tank
  2. Co-Pilot Assist
    to get adaptive cruise control and other driving aids. Includes nav, which I don't care about.
  3. Console with work surface
    not reproducible after market. I have a jump seat now and prefer storage and a surface
  4. Black (cheap) running boards
    cost comparable with after market
  5. Tailgate step
    not reproducible after market. includes box lights and other items
  6. Power-adjustable pedals
    for height-challenged co-pilot
  7. tow mirrors
    if having manual tow mirrors is not a requirement for swapping with electric folding mirrors, I won't get them.

Other stuff like all-weather mats, a tailgate damper and a tonneau cover is easy and cheaper after-market.

I have a factory spray-in bed liner. I'd like to include that but may be satisfied with an after-market bed mat. An after-market bed spray may be cheaper and as good. Will investigate. Suggestions?

Use of the term "includes" above may draw corrections from some readers. I don't mean it's included for free. Some items are "free" in the package; others add cost to the invoice.
You can't get close. You can't get the heavier frame, springs, receiver, etc.
All that extra stuff adds alot more weight than you might think.
Not gonna be easy to add tow mirrors with more options than the regular mirrors the pickup came with. Switches, re-pinning, wiring.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:39 AM   #17

Quote:
It was for me, too. which is what led to my buying the Lariat I have now. In the meantime I learned about this retrofit project. The combination of an HDPP with an EcoBoost engine may be worth the hassle. I have yet to confirm that a) I possess the necessary skills and b) I'm willing to do it.

That thread is 200 pages long, much of which seems very repetitive, but I'll read it all and the references it includes before making a decision.
What is the hassle of the 301a 6.5'bed 3.5 Ecoboost HDPP ?
Old 01-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #18

In the 18ish years I've owned my truck, I used the rear slider one time... when my AC died on the road.

IMHO, it just more un-needed weatherstripping to get hard and leak over the years... but then I have no intention of ever replacing my 1993 F350[emoji16]
Old 01-21-2022, 08:32 AM   #19

As far as cloth vs leather/vinyl, I'm 100% in the cloth camp. Grew up in the desert SW, hated leather and vinyl as when you get in a cab, that is no kidding 170 degrees, the seats burn any bare skin (like legs when wearing shorts) and you sweat like a stuck pig and stick to the damn seats. And when it was cold, the leather/vinyl seats instantly make you cold until they warm up.

I'm 100% Cloth all the way.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:27 AM   #20
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
As far as cloth vs leather/vinyl, I'm 100% in the cloth camp. Grew up in the desert SW, hated leather and vinyl as when you get in a cab, that is no kidding 170 degrees, the seats burn any bare skin (like legs when wearing shorts) and you sweat like a stuck pig and stick to the damn seats. And when it was cold, the leather/vinyl seats instantly make you cold until they warm up.

I'm 100% Cloth all the way.
Agreed. I've lived in Texas most of my life, and the one time I had leather seats, I had to keep a towel over them all summer to keep from getting burnt.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck, window