Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Leave it up to turbs to start the brand bashing! Trouble maker!
I NOT ONCE bashed any vehicle in these highly scientific test procedures...
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #22
Site Team

Chevy tested tough
Im sure they all make good trucks!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I NOT ONCE bashed any vehicle in these highly scientific test procedures...

Yeah but you set the trap for it! Lol
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I'm thinking he might of had some help here.
FT Turbs needs no help!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #25

Where I work here in Moab, we do run trucks on conditions similar to shown here, over some extremely nasty ledges across deep ditches and down trails many will not even walk.

Can't speak for Dodge/Ram since we stopped using them due to constant electrical problems, blown rear axles, and the fact that the nearest dealer is 125 miles away.

Fords do have a problem with the bed flexing too much causing, at times, tailgate damage, and/or just a misalignment with the tailgate. (We did have two diesels blow at early mileage but that was a problem with a manufacturing problem they had with the engines.)

Chevy seems to have a problem with busting rear springs and on many we need to add a lift to get the clearance needed; whereas the Ford did not require a lift.

But 95 percent of the population will not see the types of trails/roads these vehicles are subjected to.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #26

-e
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
"real world" or not - if everything was equal (placement of ramps,height of ramps,etc) then I would consider the test results to be valid.

As far as "daily use" goes, I'm sure some people put their vehicles to uses that are even more extreme than shown here.

I'm willing to put faith in these tests unless someone can show it was rigged in favor of the Ram.
I'm not questioning the "validity" of the test results as they are quite obvious. Again, my entire point was that it was intentionally designed to portray the F350 in the most negative light possible. All manufacturers do it; nothing new, but is it a real problem or just "puffery" intended to convince the public to buy their product, or at least to not buy a particular one, usually the front runner. Hence my comment about modern marketing.

If, as you say, "some people put their vehicles to uses that are even more extreme than shown here" then where are all the owners with problems. I googled both "Ford pickup tailgate flex" and Ford pickup frame flex" and the only references are to those same videos, and to forums discussing those videos.

https://www.google.com/#q=ford+pickup+tailgate+flex
https://www.google.com/#q=ford+pickup+frame+flex

So again, where are the thousands of owners who, through the daily use of their Ford SDs, have had this problem? In the absence of this, I can only conclude that while the test is without a doubt real, its impact upon real world use is minimal.
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #27
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
-e

I'm not questioning the "validity" of the test results as they are quite obvious. Again, my entire point was that it was intentionally designed to portray the F350 in the most negative light possible. All manufacturers do it; nothing new, but is it a real problem or just "puffery" intended to convince the public to buy their product, or at least to not buy a particular one, usually the front runner. Hence my comment about modern marketing.

If, as you say, "some people put their vehicles to uses that are even more extreme than shown here" then where are all the owners with problems. I googled both "Ford pickup tailgate flex" and Ford pickup frame flex" and the only references are to those same videos, and to forums discussing those videos.

https://www.google.com/#q=ford+pickup+tailgate+flex
https://www.google.com/#q=ford+pickup+frame+flex

So again, where are the thousands of owners who, through the daily use of their Ford SDs, have had this problem? In the absence of this, I can only conclude that while the test is without a doubt real, its impact upon real world use is minimal.
I'm not fully convinced that the test was solely to portray the Ford in a negative manner - I would have liked to see all similar pickups put to the same test and to remove all possible doubts of partially towards any one brand, have Consumers Report conduct the tests. But lacking that,I'm going with the test results as shown.

You bring out valid points and questions that I can't answer,but there are some "real world" experiences posted here that I put some faith in.

As far as where are all the other complaints about this, I can only guess that perhaps they were never reported or as you say, perhaps not that many owners experienced this type of failure. We are now learning that 13 people were killed in accidents involving certain GM vehicles equipped with faulty ignition switches and I never heard about that until recently.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #28
Incheon, S. Korea

These tests are very valid, especially the one with 3,000 lbs. of payload. the Chevy frame is A LOT more rigid. The question I look at is if that rigidity is important.
It isn't always better to have a more rigid frame in racing, but on the road? I have no idea.
I used to buy only Chevys for my company, then I bought an Aerostar. Then an F150 SuperCrew.
My choice now would be based on 'feel' and how much I like it.

The Chevy seems to be stronger, but...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Gm period.............

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #30

I had a 2009 Ford F-150 and one of the improvements they made was to go to a boxed frame. When I bought my F-350, I was surprised to see it is a "C" frame. Why did they do that? I dunno. However, I'm not going to trade in my F-350. I'll never take it anywhere where it will need to flex like they show in those videos. Besides, I got "A" plan pricing and end of year discounts that could not be beat! And, my truck pulls my camper great!
It's too bad they didn't do those videos with all three of the big three trucks. I think Dodge may have been the winner.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #31

How many of you were at this "test" and have proof of the validity?

I know I was not.

If dodge had conducted the test the dodge would have come out on top, same with ford or Toyota or Nissan.

Whom ever pays for the results will get what they pay for in spite of the actual results.

Not a real fanboy of Ford but they sold me what I wanted which is more that Chevy would do and without the narcissistic attitude of Dodge.

IF Chevy had it's collective heads out of what ever orifice they were/are stored in I'd be driving one.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #32

I have never owned a Ford pickup. I own an '04 Ram and absolutely love it. However, there is probably a reason Ford has been the top selling pickup for umpteen years. Creative marketing might fool the public for 2 or 3 years, but to have that long of a run at the top says something about the product.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
I have never owned a Ford pickup. I own an '04 Ram and absolutely love it. However, there is probably a reason Ford has been the top selling pickup for umpteen years. Creative marketing might fool the public for 2 or 3 years, but to have that long of a run at the top says something about the product.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Exactly! Say what you want about ford but I would never own a government motors turd!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #34

My Ford doesn't do this either.

I can't find any issue with the frame caused by flexing or other on my '01 F-250 after 210,000 miles or 13 years.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

But it does do this!
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
But it does do this!
No more than this.

Or this....

Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
But it does do this!
Must be a gasser.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #38

Please pass the marshmallows........

& the popcorn ..................

Guess Ford was wise to abandon their "uibody" F150s & return to the separate beds in the 60s. Frame flex has always been there just how much.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
No more than this.

Or this....

This is why gm has recalled all them turds! They catch fire!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #40

Ok, here is the skinny. GM stock, or Ford. Buy Ford (F), you will make a killing on it, unless the market collapses, then all bets are off. Then buy what ever you want.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote