RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #61

Sorry, I'm just not seeing the logic in this thinking. Also think 'a lot' of trucks and SUVs is a little more limited than implied.
But it does remind me why we avoid California in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
In SoCal with all of the stop-and-go traffic a lot of pickups and SUV's leave their hitches in full time. It's a first defense against being rear-ended and saves many bumpers . . . for the lead vehicle at least.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #62

I live in so cal and don't see any more hitches left in than any other place. I sure don't leave mine in.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I live in so cal and don't see any more hitches left in than any other place. I sure don't leave mine in.
That could certainly be the case but I see a lot of hitches left in. I know for a fact that our group of friends and family with lifted trucks leave their deep drop hitches in permanently to act as a bumper.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #64

Around our farm, those hitches that are left in act mainly as shin biters for the truck user
Quote:
That could certainly be the case but I see a lot of hitches left in. I know for a fact that our group of friends and family with lifted trucks leave their deep drop hitches in permanently to act as a bumper.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #65
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Around here they are left in and used as a step!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #66

Quote:
In SoCal with all of the stop-and-go traffic a lot of pickups and SUV's leave their hitches in full time. It's a first defense against being rear-ended and saves many bumpers . . . for the lead vehicle at least.
I like this idea, spear the radiator and condenser with your hitch when a texting driver rear-ends you. We continue on, damage free.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
So as I start this story every one is fine and problem is solved.
Go check your hitch receiver on your truck. Look it over for rust, even check the back. Done? Go do it first then finish reading.

Back... ok. So today as a pulled into a rest area and made a small corner I hear a ďPINGĒ and then metal dragging. I go a few yards and my wife says, oh that was the car behind us keep going. We are hurrying with a screaming 18 month old who wants lunch. I think, ok, and go a few more yards. Nope, that dragging sound is US!
I stop right there and get out to look... the WDH has popped a bar clean out of its mount and the whole hitch was leaning to the side. Like not straight. Seriously. Bent down to the right and at a funky angle. OH. CRAP.
A trucker behind me leans on his horn but I stay put. I get down and start looking things over... the bend was in the receiver and hitch itself. Oh boy... this canít be good. As I look closer sure as a bear poops in the woods- the hitch tube above the receiver is bent and cracked.
Darn it.
I limp into the RV area and park it. Look things over again... why in the Willy whacks did this happen??Well as Iím checking it over I feel the back and... a hole- where there shouldnít be one! Fiddle sticks!
I crawl under and there it is- the whole tube had rusted through! Pipe finally gave and it was bad news. It must have been slowly dropping down and bending away. When it gave the last bit it must have changed the pressure on the WDH bar and let it fly. Thank god we stopped for lunch when we did. No really, say thanks for me again- I have been all day. If that had let go on the highway things could have been disastrous for me and everyone around me!

Short part of story; called around and found a nearby u-haul that had a hitch in stock. Left the wife and kiddo with the gene and headed out. They were great! From break to back on the road- 2.5 hours total. (U-haul in Augusta Maine- Zach came through for us!)

So my moral? Go outside and check your hitch for rust and damage- might just save your life.
Attachment 213007
Attachment 213008

Other details people will ask. 2012. No other outward signs. Yes a I love in Maine. Yes we use a lot of salt.
I guess GMC would not be real Proud of that 7 year old Hitch !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I guess GMC would not be real Proud of that 7 year old Hitch !!!
Could be why GMC limits corrosion coverage for only 3years/36000miles.

https://www.gmc.com/owners/warranty-details
Old 08-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #69

CentralMePistol, thanks for the reminder. Living in MN, winters are long and salt/sand are frequent, so periodically checking under TV's and TT's is a good idea.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #70

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Yes.
Poor GM Quality. I will never buy one. Had two many bow tie disasters to list!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #71

You should dress more casually
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Poor GM Quality. I will never buy one. Had two many bow tie disasters to list!
Old 08-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I can honestly say I have never in my life...which has been quite long...seen a hitch rust out like that. I had a 1979 F150 that I sold in 2008 and the hitch was still good.
I have. A guy dropped his trailer at the stop sign by my house. I went out and helped him Jack up his trailer tongue disconnected his hitch. Backed my truck in and put his trailer in my back yard while he went to get a new hitch. By the way. GM is noted for rusted failing hitches.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #73

Thumbs up

I've visually inspected my receiver regularly ever since I bought this truck 16+ years ago. I've even inspected and checked the bolts connecting the receiver to the truck frame as I do not want anything loosening up under stresses & strains of towing.

I've seen only minor rust on the surface (which I've fixed) & no loose bolts found.
1999 Chevy Silverado 2500
campkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
I think SeaDog has moved past salty, to pickled!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #75

Got a break here in Florida ... we are not allowed to drive on the beach anymore
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #76

I mean to have it rust like that it appears maybe some salts, or water has found its way seeping into that area. Strange that itís rusted from between the bumper like that. I would think maybe a snow plow truck and the salt spreader leaking salt has slowly eaten itís way through over the years. OR an aftermarket defective tow hitch.

Clearly something had been eating at it from the middle point.

I agree it might be tough to catch this as seen from underneath you might see some rust but not suspect itís eaten through the metal.
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPup2018 View Post
I mean to have it rust like that it appears maybe some salts, or water has found its way seeping into that area. Strange that itís rusted from between the bumper like that. I would think maybe a snow plow truck and the salt spreader leaking salt has slowly eaten itís way through over the years. OR an aftermarket defective tow hitch.

Clearly something had been eating at it from the middle point.

I agree it might be tough to catch this as seen from underneath you might see some rust but not suspect itís eaten through the metal.
That type of hitch could have openings at both ends that allows snow, ice,water, salt, sand to enter and settle where the receiver was welded to the structure.
That area is always warm from driveline heat so the snow melts quicky and doesn't dry out due to the confined space. The corrosion starts and eats away at the welds.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #78

Same hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
I have. A guy dropped his trailer at the stop sign by my house. I went out and helped him Jack up his trailer tongue disconnected his hitch. Backed my truck in and put his trailer in my back yard while he went to get a new hitch. By the way. GM is noted for rusted failing hitches.
DW's 2006 Yukon XL and my 2006 Tahoe have the same hitch. I crawled under to take a look. The paint is still good on the metal--not even surface rust.

Both cars are North Carolina cars. They do salt and brine the roads here, but we try not to drive much when they have.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #79

Yes, I agree with you. I could have had a bad experience. The back bumper on my TV was a little rusty and didn't look good so I decided to replace it and glad I did. During installation of the new bumper I noticed the hitch rusted almost through on the top and back side where it could not be seen without removing the bumper.
Mark72358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:40 AM   #80

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you captain obvious. Hence my warning to others to look in a place one normally might not inspect for damage. I have driven it all summer, 30+ days of travel without any other sign. Yes, I am lucky it happened when it did.
If you inspect the every inch of your truck on a regular basis you clearly have more time to kill than most of us.
Love the Captain Obvious reference... :roflb lack:
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, hitch