Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #41

GM Family

We're a GM family. My daily driver is a 2006 Tahoe. DW's is a 2006 Yukon XL, also serves as our TV. We don't have any particular strong loyalty. It just happens to be what we owned when we met nine years ago.

That said, we all remember when the American manufacturers were losing sales by the millions because the American cars rusted out so fast. (I was living in northern Illinois and southern Minnesota at the time and remember it well.) The US manufacturers have learned their lessons, or so we thought. Newer models have been robust.

Well, ever since the GM bailout, GM has been backsliding. There have been bunches of recalls for brake line rustouts--even scarier than losing a hitch. Some of the trucks have had recalls. A third-party aftermarket accessory provider, Dorman Products, has a full line of preformed stainless steel brake lines for all the GM pickups. The cars rust out, too. My son was doing some routine maintenance beneath his 2005 Cadillac CTS yesterday and discovered that the brake lines were so deeply rusted that he's afraid to drive it until he replaces them--and his car has been in North Carolina its entire life. There was a recall on the Caddy brake lines, but the dealer won't honor it unless you live in a northern state--strikes me as unethical.

I've also seen some suspension parts offered by aftermarket companies. There may be a problem there, too.

Our cars have the same hitch mount as the OP's. I will be inspecting them before any trailer is attached. (We just pulled a U-Haul utility trailer 400 miles without difficulty--fortunately no problems.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #42

Thank you. may I add a warning for those who leave a trailer hitch on their vehicle all the time. you never know when someone has backed into it or run into it while you were parked at the movies or shopping for new sneakers or groceries. leaving them on is not a great idea as not all impacts are visible.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #43

Thanks

I've learned a ton from this web-site and read it all the time. I appreciate you taking the time and shrinking your ego sufficiently to post a warning that just may save someone a great deal of grief. I applaud your concern for your fellow RV owners.
NatlChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #44
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I thought it was funny comment/pic that added some levity to this thread that's about to go off the rails anyway.
You can take it as a harmless joke, or as a mean spirited jab. It's your choice......
LOL... I really thought once camping season started and cabin fever was thwarted, things would be better... guess not.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegantimber View Post
This is far from a 2012 vehicle Pistol was driving. Get a grip
A bit sensitive to humor, satire and sarcasm?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #46

WOW......That is UGLY. Glad it wasn't worse
BudC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #47

So glad it didn't happen at highway speed on the freeway.
WOW... reminds me to be extra diligent with my total under the rig checks.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #48

Our first new MH was on a 1977 Dodge van cutaway. We special ordered it at the Chicago RV show. The factory welded the hitch onto a unit body platform. We were returning from a vacation driving normally and pulling a boat/motor/ trailer. We heard a dragging noise and thought it was a tail pipe. I slowed down and pulled off on the shoulder. Nope, not the tail pipe-the hitch was dragging.
Fortunately the boat tongue jack had a steel caster wheel that rolled for a safe stop.The caster axle hole was twice the size of the axle bolt. I jacked the boat trailer off and lifted the hitch and it completely fell to the ground. And, the safety chains were attached to the hitch. It was determined that the welds broke. Fortunately, we were very close to home and my father-in-law came to tow the boat home.

Since then, I have used undercoat and bed liner coating under our vehicles and on the hitch. A weld can break without being coated, but rust will defeat a weld over time. That is the only time we have had a hitch problem, but it is a event that will not be forgotten.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
I would also add to check your bolts and make sure they’re torqued down properly and not bent.

Thanks for the thought! I actually checked them at about 50 miles. Hand check, nothing had loosened. As soon as the rain stops- tomorrow hopefully- I will be getting underneath with a torque wrench I always carry to ensure they are to spec. Thought I would only use that wrench on the tire lugs!

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Thank you. may I add a warning for those who leave a trailer hitch on their vehicle all the time. you never know when someone has backed into it or run into it while you were parked at the movies or shopping for new sneakers or groceries. leaving them on is not a great idea as not all impacts are visible.
My hitch ball sticks out a lot farther than most. It is painted orange. I pull a 5er and never use it. Around 1995 someone hit my new truck and caused damage. Since then I’ve been hit twice, no damage to the truck but can’t say the same for the vehicles that hit me. An Impala had to be jacked up and pulled backwards or I would have drug it home. Even painted some find it quite the knee knocker when getting too close.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #51

So I just have to ask. If you never use it, why do you have the ball installed? Inquiring minds want to know
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
My hitch ball sticks out a lot farther than most. It is painted orange. I pull a 5er and never use it. Around 1995 someone hit my new truck and caused damage. Since then I’ve been hit twice, no damage to the truck but can’t say the same for the vehicles that hit me. An Impala had to be jacked up and pulled backwards or I would have drug it home. Even painted some find it quite the knee knocker when getting too close.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #52

Good self defense

Quote:
Yes, a trailer ball makes good self defense, especially in city traffic and parallel parking.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #53

This will be the 8th Michigan we us more salt then you winter for this one.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4394.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	213057   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4396.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	213058  
Days camped 2014 33 . 2015 42. 2016 38. 2017 35. 2018 41. 2019 43. 2020 42. 2021 40.
mikes86gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Really is that funny? Why not remove the hitch? Hard to believe for sure.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #55

CentralMePistol

Thanks for posting this rust problem. Might make other people think twice about not checking their rigs out on a regular basis.

I used to be truck driver I am anal about doing a pre-trip every day on my motorhome. It only takes a few minutes and most times I will get underneath on my back checking things out. Driveline, wheel lug nuts, tire condition, grab that driveline and check for loose u-joints. Take a small ball pene hammer and tap around and listen for loose bolts etc..

I have often seen folks leave camp sights and not even give their rigs a cursory check over. Not even check to see if trailer, towed car, lights are even working.

A few minutes folks could save you a big headache down the road. Just a few minutes that's all.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:53 PM   #56

Yeah but what does it look like underneath?

I would never buy a used truck from a region that salted it's roads
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes86gn View Post
This will be the 8th Michigan we us more salt then you winter for this one.

Mike
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Well, ever since the GM bailout, GM has been backsliding. There have been bunches of recalls for brake line rustouts--even scarier than losing a hitch.
True.

I had a 2000 Monte Carlo where the brake lines rusted out and failed while I was driving. Luckily, I live in a fairly rural area, and when they failed, I felt them get weak before they were gone altogether.

I also had a 2000 GMS Sonoma where one of the transmission cooling lines rusted through and sprung a pinhole leak. I noticed it when is started shifting funny and slipping. I replaced it with rubber lines, but the damage had already been done, and it was never the same.

I now check the underside of my vehicles when I'm doing oil changes.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Really is that funny? Why not remove the hitch? Hard to believe for sure.
In SoCal with all of the stop-and-go traffic a lot of pickups and SUV's leave their hitches in full time. It's a first defense against being rear-ended and saves many bumpers . . . for the lead vehicle at least.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
In SoCal with all of the stop-and-go traffic a lot of pickups and SUV's leave their hitches in full time. It's a first defense against being rear-ended and saves many bumpers . . . for the lead vehicle at least.
a lesson learned from anglers - hook and release?
Old 08-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
a lesson learned from anglers - hook and release?
Not in SoCal. If their car can still move, they usually back up and take off.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, hitch