Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I live on Camano Island and many of my neighbors have backup generators because power outages here are common.
The whole island had no power for over 24 hours from the last windstorm. I've owned two houses on the Island and both had backup generators.
The DW's uncle retired from the power company and said Camano Island was their overtime honey pot because it had so many power outages.
I get that, but a given island isn't necessarily representative of the region. I was responding to the idea that a backup generator is a "staple" of life in the Pacific Northwest. I have lived the majority of my life in the PNW, and haven't found that to be the case.

I know people who have cabins up around Stevens Pass. They have generators, but again, they aren't representative.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 02-03-2021, 04:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
Two words:
Mr. Fusion
Two more: Flux Capacitor
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #43

Will this mean the possibility of Hydrogen powered vehicles improves? If so, it looks like Toyota with the Marai hydrogen power is getting the jump on other ICE manufacturers - much like they got the jump on hybrids with the Prius. My family owns 1 all electric, 1 plugin hybrid and 1 Diesel RV. I'll swap the RV as soon as something comparable to my plugin Prius Prime comes along except it probably won't happen in my lifetime; maybe in time for my kids.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
Will this mean the possibility of Hydrogen powered vehicles improves? If so, it looks like Toyota with the Marai hydrogen power is getting the jump on other ICE manufacturers - much like they got the jump on hybrids with the Prius. My family owns 1 all electric, 1 plugin hybrid and 1 Diesel RV. I'll swap the RV as soon as something comparable to my plugin Prius Prime comes along except it probably won't happen in my lifetime; maybe in time for my kids.
Are you speaking from the grave? https://freightliner.com/electric-tr...SAAEgJZTvD_BwE
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #45

Moving pollution

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 yep got my volt and like you this car will take me to the day I no longer can drive. One of the best investments I ever made to bad they stopped making them. Later RJD
Those Volts don't eliminate carbon dioxide--they just move it from Point A to Point B.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 02-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #46

Lithium batteries (LiFePo4) are fantastic. But, they (like oil) comes with a cost. Check this article: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact
Old 02-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #47
Dahagen

I have been saying for years that when we all have electric vehicles the power lines will glow red at night with all the chargers going.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #48
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
How about the $16.69 min wage in Seattle as of 1 Jan 2021. While it may seem like you are helping people you are, in fact, hurting everyone. The Affordable Care Act. I don't know about you, but I am paying quite a bit more and getting less for my money. Don't get me started about how much it cost for me to be on an ACA plan for a few months while transitioning jobs.
There have been several other examples of things in the last few years that no one thought were possible, but happened. Some good, some bad.

Will it be enforced? You will still be able to drive your ICE, but at a significant financial penalty. This works out well for the gov. They get to make money on those who do not want to be forced into buying a product they want to fund a poorly thought out and run policy.

The last thing we need is to he told what we want and what is good for us by a bunch of people who never had a real job. I am about to go down a political rant rabbit hole so I will stop here.
Think about amount of money they will save. 16.69/hr works out to about $34,000a year. How many will be kicked off of welfare.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Once the killer app/solution is identified it will take off with or without a nudge from Uncle Sam. If the solution fills a need at a good value, it will take care of itself. EV's will be a great solution for Rv'ers when the range hurdle is passed. EV's have torque from a dead stop, the power of the motor does not change with altitude, electric motors are dead simple, and could potentially be charged while camping. There are several positives... once we get the energy storage issue figured out.

Remember when it was impossible to fly faster than the speed of sound?
No I don't. I'm about to turn 65 years old and the speed of sound by plane was broken 8 years and 9 months before I was born.

Mike
Days camped 2014 33 . 2015 42. 2016 38. 2017 35. 2018 41. 2019 43. 2020 42. 2021 40.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #50

Lots of interesting articles on the effects of towing on EV range, charging issues, battery weight, etc....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ron-ev-towing/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-towing-range/

This is a good one:

https://www.trailerlife.com/towing/t...e-be-electric/

Bottom line for me...we ain't there yet. Not even close.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #51

I don't know what your proposed bills cover but the GM announcement pertained only to cars, not trucks, going to all electric with a timeline of 2035 as I recall.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Zowie. What makes you think this state law will pass, and if it does, it will actually be enforced? Have you seen all the nonsense bills that are introduced every year and never pass?
I cant believe anyone takes any of this seriously.2030, 2035, 2040, I just dont see it happening. Especially when all the environmentalists see how batteries are produced and what happens to them afterlife.
I keep thinking if this happens in any form it will mainly be the coasts and metro areas like it is now. Out here in the southwest, electric cars barely go from town to town! LOL!
I wish what you say could be true up here in WA State. Unfortunately the entire "Left Coast" is essentially of the same mind as California.

I won't comment further as I'd like to see this thread remain open for a while longer.

As for the batteries, the chemistry is a lot longer life than the current Lead/Acid chemistry in every Car, Truck, Boat, Airplane, Motorcycle, etc, etc. Longer life means fewer units per year entering the disposal stream and even now, recycling of Lithium chemistry batteries is big. Valuable elements to be recovered.

As for electric cars barely going from town to town, you must have towns more than 200 miles apart The Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, and of course Tesla all are capable that distance and more if the driver isn't a "leadfoot".

That is something that will most likely be an adjustment drivers will want to make to extend their range with an EV. Drive slower, especially in truck versions when towing.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 02-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #53

US Army Veteran brings this to mind. Products (other than motor vehicle fuels) made with oil are far too valuable to society for us to waste our finite supply of oil powering ICE's. The sooner we can develop markets for converting solar, wind, hydro (essentially inexhaustible supplies compared to oil) into the means of powering our vehicles the more oil we can conserve for serving mankind in other, more beneficial, ways. For me that includes four artificial joints; I've had both shoulders replaced and both knee joints replaced, thanks to plastics. For others it is replacement heart valves, etc. There are thousands more plastic items out there we all take for granted. What if we didn't have access to those things anymore?
If we all stop using ICE's to get around the oil companies won't self-destruct via exhausting their finite resource so soon, and oil will remain a commodity of significant value much farther into the future, keeping the companies that produce it in business that much longer.
Oh, and the air we breathe will be cleaner and the amount of carbon released into the atmosphere will be reduced. Pretty much a win-win.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
This is laughable. We have friends that live in the Puget Sound area. They tell us that every time the winds blow more than 40 mph the power goes out, sometime for days at a time. It's gotten so common that a main staple of PNW life is a backup generator! I heard their most recent wind storm was on January 13th, which left over 500,000 homes without power. An EV is useless in this situation.
They must live down in the Auburn area or in what we call "South Sound" down around Olympia. That area gets the winds through a mountain pass but even at that it only happens once or twice a year.

If you live in a remote area that's heavily wooded there are power outages from time to time but here where I live (along with several million others) the powre only goes out every 10 years or for more than an hour or two.

As for generators? in my neighborhood there are only two generators in a group of 100 homes. Mine and the one I sold to a neighbor last year.

Now if you live where bikendan lives, a generator is pretty much standard equipment. One power line feeding the island and lots of trees.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #55

Yikes, next thang ya know, "they" are going to ban horses and make us all drive "horseless carriages" on the highways!

Seriously: Cars, trucks, and RVs will continue to improve, and power sources will evolve. I doubt in 30 years we (our descendants, LOL) will be saying "Damn, I sure wish we could have those vehicles we drove 30 years ago--they were so much better than we have today."
Old 02-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I wish what you say could be true up here in WA State. Unfortunately the entire "Left Coast" is essentially of the same mind as California.

I won't comment further as I'd like to see this thread remain open for a while longer.

As for the batteries, the chemistry is a lot longer life than the current Lead/Acid chemistry in every Car, Truck, Boat, Airplane, Motorcycle, etc, etc. Longer life means fewer units per year entering the disposal stream and even now, recycling of Lithium chemistry batteries is big. Valuable elements to be recovered.

As for electric cars barely going from town to town, you must have towns more than 200 miles apart The Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, and of course Tesla all are capable that distance and more if the driver isn't a "leadfoot".

That is something that will most likely be an adjustment drivers will want to make to extend their range with an EV. Drive slower, especially in truck versions when towing.
Three things, electric cars also have a lead acid battery and the size of the lithium battery is much greater to recycle. As for mileage I live in the mountains and drive a truck. I don’t think that is worked out yet.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #57

Quote:
How about the $16.69 min wage in Seattle as of 1 Jan 2021. While it may seem like you are helping people you are, in fact, hurting everyone.
It gets even better. On top of the $16.60 min wage, grocery worker for companies hiring over 500 people now get an extra $4 per hour as "Hazard Pay" due to Covid-19. (Bill is supposed to be signed by the Seattle Mayor today).

Care to guess what's going to happen to Seattle grocery prices?

Notice how easy it is for some to spend other people's money?

Old 02-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It gets even better. On top of the $16.60 min wage, grocery worker for companies hiring over 500 people now get an extra $4 per hour as "Hazard Pay" due to Covid-19. (Bill is supposed to be signed by the Seattle Mayor today).

Care to guess what's going to happen to Seattle grocery prices?

Notice how easy it is for some to spend other people's money?
This makes me a financial idiot for going to college, earning a degree and working my way up!

Should've just stuck to the grocery bagger apprenticeship at Safeway!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
Old 02-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Those Volts don't eliminate carbon dioxide--they just move it from Point A to Point B.
Actually, I get a report monthly via Onstar that tells me how much CO2 I didn't put into the atmosphere.

Fact is my ICE runs so infrequently that the vehicle computer forces it to start just so I will burn a tank of gas per year. A whopping 8-9 gallons

It's a great car for short trips and travel within a 25 mile radius. That covers a huge number of people in most Cities and Towns.

Calculated "mileage" is often over 600mpg. Now just how much CO2 is generated from that small amount of gasoline burned

Old 02-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #60

The new minimum wage is fantastic for automation! NM raised it to $10.50 this year and farmers are no longer hiring much manual labor. It is more feasable to buy additional machinery to compensate. Can we pick all the product as well as with human labor? Nope, but we save so much we just leave what we can't get with machinery in the field and plow it under.
Not that farmers have a choice anymore as you just can't get anyone to work anymore.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel, gas, washington