Old 03-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #41
swj

listen

purchased a 2 way friction WDistribution Hitch, did not control sway and did not dist. weight, purchased a 4 way WDistribution hitch, did not control the sway, did not distribute the weight, purchased a ProPride P3 hitch, eliminated the sway and the weight distribution jacks allow you to level your trailer after hook up and distribute the weight, the money I wasted on the 1st 2 hitches would have cover half the cost of a new P3.... find a used P3 one for $1200??? night and day difference!
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #42

Hensley Hitch

https://youtu.be/0FsRXjI8W6o
https://youtu.be/hWKVs04Xy8I
2015 H-D FLRT (Hers)
2009 Honda VTX 1800/Champion Trike (His)
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:16 AM   #43
KSH

Propride or the older HensleyClick image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_-113121833.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	225298
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR_Brewer View Post
There's certainly a ton opinions out there on hitches but I'd like to hear some of yours. I have an EazLift WD hitch now but want to upgrade to something with sway control. As of now, based on what I've learned, I would:

A) want a setup with as simple a connection and fewest parts as possible
B) want to avoid a friction bar setup (mostly for reason A)
C) want a system that permitted me to back up without disconnecting anything

Thanks for the input!!
We have used the Andersen Hitch for several years and over 20,000 miles, as has some friends of ours. It controls sway and weight distribution. I seldom notice large vehicles passing. Plus hook up and unhook are VERY easy and fast. Available on Amazon.
Bdraughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #45

I am completely sold on my Equal-I-zer hitch that was set up properly for my 25' trailer and my 2007 Tundra TV. I have essentially no sway even with crosswinds or passing trucks and it is easy to back the unit up into sites. Setup for departure and takedown after arrival only take a few minutes -- it does have pins and clips and bars to store, but I return the retention pins in each bar with their clip pins before storing in my basement; the side bar "L" clips also store easily. The only hard to store part is the hitch body which is heavy, but I bought a Hitchball Carrier to assist moving it from the TV carrier to a storage bin when camping or in winter storage.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #46
gciceman

Going from sway to no sway

When I bought my FR Heritage Glen Hyper Lyte (26RLHL) in 2017 it came with a Husky round bar with sway control. I was pulling with a 2012 Yukon 6.2. I had plenty of sway with that combination. A friend gave me a good deal on a 8-1200 lb. Husky Centerline. Sway was almost eliminated. Basically I would get half a sway and it would settle back on center. I upgraded TV to a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2 with enhanced tow package. Still using the Husky Centerline. No more sway. While I've yet to go on any long multi-state trips with high wind, I've logged several miles on Interstates and on backroads in the hills of Arkansas with no problems. Passing trucks do not give me any problems.
gcisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #47

I'm completely satisfied with the Husky Centerline TS. I previously towed with a Hensley Arrow for six years. However, for the two travel trailers I've owned, the difference in the towing experience is negligible. The main "plus" of the Husky Centerline hitch (besides its reasonable price) is its very effective and precise weight distribution. Concerning sway control, I've never experienced trailer sway with either the Hensley Arrow or Husky Centerline hitches. Another small point for the Husky: it comes with the hitch ball pre-installed (many do not).
Husky Centerline TS
Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #48

[QUOTE=CurtPutnam;2282806]We swapped out our Husky Centerline with 1200 lb bars for the Andersen hitch. Why? Due to a recent disability, my wife is the one who does the hookups and driving. The bars were too heavy for her and the levering on and off was also too much as well as dangerous. The Hitch head took both of us to install or remove. Once put together the hitch performed well.

By contrast, with the Andersen, my wife can do the whole hitch process. The head weighs ~45 lbs and the WD chains stay attached to the TT. On the road, the Andersen outperforms the Centerline at sway control.

There is absolutely no way an Andersen hitch will take enough weight off the rear of the TV, it will not transfer weight back to the steer axle or onto the trailer axles. I have a hot shot business and deliver RVs all across Canada Wehave scales in our yard and weigh every axle before towing . The Andersen hitch is almost useless. i suggest you try another hitch for your safety sake. Blue Ox is very easy to connect.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
I suggest checking out the Andersen. Had mine about 6 years now and nearly trouble free! Anderson replaced the head unit when the friction material started to creep out. Contacted them again last fall and as there was an improved design they sent another when I changed TV (with 2 1/2 shank).
SUPERIOR customer service.
As to sway , thereís NONE!! 3/4 ton truck, 36í travel trailer, approx 950-1k tounge weight.
Added bonus is none of that squeal, squawk or clanking on corners!!
Love mine!!

There is no way the Andersen Hitch removes weight from the rear of the TV, transfers weight back onto the front axle or back onto the trailer axles. We deliver RVs all across Canada have scales in our yard. We weigh every axle after hooking up and no matter how tight you make the chains on that Anderson it does almost nothing . You likely still have 90 percent of the tongue weight on your TV. I suggest you weigh at a CAT scales to see my point.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, sway, sway control