Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #1

WD w/ Sway Control Hitch Suggestions

There's certainly a ton opinions out there on hitches but I'd like to hear some of yours. I have an EazLift WD hitch now but want to upgrade to something with sway control. As of now, based on what I've learned, I would:

A) want a setup with as simple a connection and fewest parts as possible
B) want to avoid a friction bar setup (mostly for reason A)
C) want a system that permitted me to back up without disconnecting anything

Thanks for the input!!
OR_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Team

4pt Equal-i-zer
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
Jayhawker

The Equal-i-zer 4-point hitch. And it is MADE IN USA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	047627_1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	224739  
Old 03-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #4

I had similar requirements and went with the blueox swaypro at first...

Blueox pros were no greasy bars to store, simple install, no pins to lose, no removal for backing, no noise, less complex with no washers, fast install
Cons were lower weight distribution compared to my propride, watch your toes when removing bars and not as much sway control as I needed which was significant in my case.

Nothing really against the Equalizer 4pt. These were my reasons for not getting it when I bought my blueox. Your opnion may vary.
I lost my hitch pin so many times I attached it with a chain. No way I could have kept track of all the pins for the equalizer 4pt without wiring them. The equalizer tends to make some noise sometimes when turning (the fix reduces friction which is counter to what I need to accomplish but very workable for some) where blueox was not noisy. Washer heads and measurements were more complex. This confused me more than anything. Blueox was straight forward as you just jacked it up higher to get a better angle on the head if needed.

I think the blueox and equalizer are on par with each other just different technologies and trade offs between them. Similar pricing. I have not used an equalizer so pros and cons were based on reviews and forum issues not everybody has.

I still had some stability issues because I was at max for my TV so I upgraded to a propride P3.

P3 Pros: no noise, No sway, 2 pins and a wrench no other parts (at least after install), grease zerks once a year, better WD due to more leverage, bars stay connected to head, I can open my tailgate when connected, no removal for backing.
P3 cons: heavy but offsets itself, excessively expensive, longer learning curve, longer install time.

About 5x the price but you get what you pay for in stability. Not for everybody but if you want the stability and can afford one why not...I wish I had gone directly to it.

Now you get to make your own choice. To each his own. Happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #5

I have the Husky Centerline WDH. Been rock solid, no swaying.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #6

+1 for Husky Centerline TS. Similar to the Equalizer 4 point above but cheaper. Noisy on right angle turns, oh well.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #7

I really liked the Reese dual cam
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #8

A properly setup trailer shouldn't need sway control add on's. Get the right size tow vehicle for the trailer. Most sway issues are from poorly designed trailers and owners with barely adequate tow vehicles.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
Multi-Slacker

We swapped out our Husky Centerline with 1200 lb bars for the Andersen hitch. Why? Due to a recent disability, my wife is the one who does the hookups and driving. The bars were too heavy for her and the levering on and off was also too much as well as dangerous. The Hitch head took both of us to install or remove. Once put together the hitch performed well.

By contrast, with the Andersen, my wife can do the whole hitch process. The head weighs ~45 lbs and the WD chains stay attached to the TT. On the road, the Andersen outperforms the Centerline at sway control.

Winner: The Andersen Hitch - in all respects. Husky Centerline is for sale.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #10

I suggest checking out the Andersen. Had mine about 6 years now and nearly trouble free! Anderson replaced the head unit when the friction material started to creep out. Contacted them again last fall and as there was an improved design they sent another when I changed TV (with 2 1/2 shank).
SUPERIOR customer service.
As to sway , there’s NONE!! 3/4 ton truck, 36’ travel trailer, approx 950-1k tounge weight.
Added bonus is none of that squeal, squawk or clanking on corners!!
Love mine!!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #11

Reese dual cam

Still have my Reese Dual Cam that I got back in the late 70's. Its now used on my 2016 Chevy Tahoe to tow my 2018 Mini Lite 2306. No problems! I know, I know!!
pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #12

I agree with all that Dbledan said. The only hitch part that needs to be moved is the hitch bar, similar to the hitch head on other hitches. The PP bar weighs 48 lbs. I find it extremely easy and fast to hitch and unhitch. Having a backup camera on your TV really helps (I have one). I can usually hitch up faster than folks with other brands of hitch.

Adjusting WD can be done with a battery drill driver with no risk of bars snapping free. WD bars on the PP have "infinite" adjust-ability, you aren't limited to the increment of each chain link as on some.
Only difference to Dbledan, I pump some new grease into the head before each long trip. Our trips regularly cover well over 1000 miles.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
A properly setup trailer shouldn't need sway control add on's. Get the right size tow vehicle for the trailer. Most sway issues are from poorly designed trailers and owners with barely adequate tow vehicles.
What this man says should be a Sticky in every Internet RV forum. Trailers sway because of improper design and loading and the WD hitch sway control isn’t a effective means to correct for that. If you don’t want to or can’t correct what’s wrong with the trailer the best solution is to get a TV with adequate mass and design that can control the trailer. Hitch sway control is for adding an additional margin of safety that should already exist.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #14

Another vote for the Andersen. The hardest part of hooking up is putting the 45lb hitch in my receiver. After you do the initial setup it could not be easier. I am very pleased with the performance as well.

Basically, once you get it set up the only additional thing you have to do versus a regular non WD hitch is connect the plate, with one pin, to the bottom of the hitch ball. Wicked simple.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #15

I have had both and Andersen is far ahead in cleanliness, sway control, ease of hookup and noise. I have never seen anyone that has tried both go back to bars. I took a leap of faith years ago when Andersen first came out and very few had heard of it. I pull a 34' bumper pull toyhauler with the Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution Hitch and a fifth wheel with the Andersen 3220 Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch. Best of luck to you and remember the main thing is to get out and enjoy camping.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
I suggest checking out the Andersen. As to sway , there’s NONE!! 3/4 ton truck, 36’ travel trailer, approx 950-1k tounge weight.
Added bonus is none of that squeal, squawk or clanking on corners!!
Love mine!!

I checked out the Anderson because the standard hitch heads were getting too heavy for me to comfortably handle.

I was AMAZED how much better the sway control was!! No more white knuckles when the semi's passed. It is far better.

However, it seemed to me the Anderson was a LITTLE less effective for weight distribution, so if that's your primary concern vice sway control give it some extra thought before you decide.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #17
wjo

Anderson the hardest part is getting off my butt to hook up
wjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #18
CGK
Camping with Labs

I don't see information regarding your TT or TV, but if the trailer is long and heavy and/or especially if you are towing with a lighter duty truck - and if you can survive some sticker shock - you might want to look at the Hensley Arrow or the ProPride hitch. I have the Hensley, which virtually eliminates trailer sway. You can sometimes buy refurbished Arrows with full warranties. You can call Hensley at 1-800-410-6580 directly and talk with their knowledgable staff to see if the Arrow could be a good solution for you. The website link is https://hensleymfg.com. It takes a little while to get accustomed to hitching and unhitching the TT with the Hensley, but only the "stinger bar" comes off the A-frame for storage - the hitch, weight distribution jacks, etc, stay on the TT (I cover mine when we are not camping). Good luck!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #19

WD w/ Sway Control Hitch Suggestions

Stop looking open up the wallet and get a Hensley. All other hitches only damper sway. The Hensley eliminates its. Join the Hensley group on FB and look and read all the testimonies. I had a Reese duel cam and it worked great until a 18 wheeler passes you and sucks you in and then pushes you away. Not to mention pulling in high winds. Do your research. Life time warranty. I didn’t believe it until I bought mine.
Coop067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
4pt Equal-i-zer
Yes its one of the best. Works well for me.

Tags
hitch, sway, sway control