Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #21

Love my Blue Ox Swaypro. Much quieter and better ride than my previous Equalizer.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #22

Love my Husky Centerline

I tow a Rockwood 8329ss behind a Silverado 2500HD 4x4. I use a Husky Centerline WD hitch 800-1200 pounds T weight. It has been the best towing hitch that I have ever used. Sway eliminated and except for the weight I am pulling you would not know that there is a Travel Trailer behind you.

I don't tow long distances but my towing is all highways and Interstates.

Taking time with the setup is the critical factor. About an hour and a half. Quality of the materials is superb.

Amazon has them on sale for &298. Bought mine in November for $333. Needed it then. Sold my old Curt WD hitch with my Cherokee 29B
hmfic@bellsouth.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #23

I also tow with the Blue Ox. Install was super easy and set up is a breeze. It is pricey but well worth it. Tows great
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #24

I wish I had experience with other hitches. That said, I've only towed with the BO SwayPro and can't imagine the total experience...installation, hookups, unhooks, adjustments via number of links used to hook up...could be any better. So I'm a fly in the vinegar that doesn't know any better or a fly in the honey...and it sure tastes like honey to me...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperJo View Post
Hello campers,

I am looking to pull a TT with a 7725 gross weight and a 725 tongue weight with my F250 gas (12,500 tow capacity). CW has quoted $580 for a WDH installed but I have no idea which hitch they are trying to sell me. I am looking for recommendations. Chains or no chains? I do want back up capability and anti-sway.

Thank you!,
camper Jo
Go to Etrailer.com. Watch a few videos, read install instructions and since it sound like you have plenty of tv, as we do, buy what ever you like. If you are sure about your weights, go simple. There is a current generic version of one of the oldest hitches out there for about $225 on sale. 10000 lb 1000 hitch rating. I've had two so far, one for each of our two tow haulers. Plenty good for us and we do lots of freeway speeds and lots of hills riding out tow haul mode. Been more than adequate pulling with our F250.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #26
Canadian Member

I've never used the Husky Centerline WDH but I have their Brute HB4500 electric tongue jack on my 8293SS. I put one on my previous Roo, too. It works perfectly and I recommend it here when the question comes up. It's also made in China.

As has been said on this forum before, just because it's made in China doesn't make it automatically junk. They can build high quality if the client wants to pay for it. There's lots of junk made in America (and Canada), too. Don't people complain all the time around here about poor quality control on their FR trailers, not to mention the quality at some dealers! The big 3 made junk vehicles for a lot of years until the Japanese started forcing them to improve quality.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1 View Post
Look at the Propride 3P...
read the reviews, go to youtube as well. AS I posted a day or two ago, I have a brand new Equalizer for sale as soon as I'm able to purchase the Propride 3P 1400
We have the ProPride also. Nothing compares to it.
Alvega007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
That right there would eliminate it from my choice. What the heck do the Chinese know about WDhitches anyway. They don't even own RV's or have bigger trucks for personal use...
Hey, sadly until Trump works the import ratios, 9 of 10 things we buy come from China and they do a good job of knock offs of everything.

But right now in the real world, not much is fully manufactured in the USA so watch your wallet.

The "round bar" hitches with chain links is made or labeled by about every company in the hitch business. The most generic of those is Pro. They are all nearly identical knock offs of the original wdh. I think it was "EZLIFT " when I had my first one in 1973. Nearly fool proof and competitively priced cause everybody sells them. Patent must have expired decades ago and still for me, the best and most trail tested. Counting the one in 73, that was on the back of my 68 Chevy Caprice., I am on #3. Still lovingthem.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

I can only speak to what I have used and experienced but I had the basic Curt chain with separate friction screw type set up on a popup and my mini lite 2306. When we purchased the Grey Wolf I had them throw in the Equalizer. All I can say is I had no idea what I was missing. While the WD setup seemed ok on the Curt (it is a basic design used for years) the sway control of the Equalizer was night and day. I no longer had any sway issues from passing trucks, wind or such.

I am all about saying some money but when I spend $20,000 plus on a trailer 500 to 750 for a quality WD setup is ok. I will say, I do not care HOW good some of these are, I would NOT spend $1500 on a WD hitch. But that is just me.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvega007 View Post
We have the ProPride also. Nothing compares to it.
X3 on the ProPride. I've only towed with the ProPride. I looked at the hitch as being an investment. I have a considerable investment in my TT. I never wanted to ever be in a situation that I would regret not using the best in the market. By then it's too late.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
x3
X4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:14 PM   #32

Most hitches are sway control hitches. Most of these use friction to absorb the sway energy - they are "brakes". Blue Ox I saw one post that said Blue Ox doesn't use friction and I think I recall a post that said that basically the sway is absorbed by what is effectively a strong spring. Not sure... Most of these hitches are mass produced and enjoy cost benefits based on the large volume sold. Many folks use these successfully.
There are 2 sway elimination or prevention hitches. They work significantly different from the common hitches. They are both based on the same patented design - Hensley and ProPride.
I look at it this way, vehicles have come a long way in the safety arena. Anti-lock brakes and other relatively recent improvements have done a lot. But think about how much cost they added to vehicles, especially until they were incorporated into large volumes of cars and trucks.
Yes, ProPride and Hensley are much more expensive. I know ProPride manufactures them to order, I think Hensley is the same and they are both US made. It is interesting to me that these hitches seem to be more accepted by the Airstream community - not sure if it is because the cost is less of a fraction of the trailer price or they are more interested in protecting their investments. I have read 1 post of someone, who after having one, didn't think a PP or Hensley was worth the money, many say the opposite.
One thing that seems interesting - you have a pretty hefty truck so, weight distribution may not be very important to you. All of the common hitches require the WD to be active for anti-sway to work, it may be possible to use the ProPride or Hensley without WD - you should check with the manufacturers if you want to try this.
Anyway, these three u-tubes show the difference between the Hensley/Propride and all other ball mount hitches.
You need to decide how much safety is worth to you and how much you want to spend. If you go with one of the mainstream hitches, make sure you stay within the recommendations for tongue weight.

Tongue weight and sway

Utube of Lego Hensley Hitch

ProPride Example

Stay safe and
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF602956 View Post
Hi Camper Jo,

i am an RV parts manager and use and recommend only these two hitches. Number one is the Blue Ox Swaypro which generally sells for around 739.95. it is a one of a kind hitch thatll provide your best towing experience due to the sway prevention technology built into it.

The other hitch is the Husky Centerline TS which wells for 439.95 and is a great experience also. it uses 4 point friction sway technology.

Avoid equilizer because they build their bars with straight stock steel not spring steel.
Ditto the Blue Ox. Shop around I paid 599.00 including ball from local RV store in PA.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #34

I purchased/used the Original Husky model. WDH is full of opinions, but mine is absolutely FABULOUS! If interested, I just traded in my TT for an RV and have it available at a discount - send me a PM if interested. You may see it & other items at ZRD - Travel Trailer and RV Services It only has delivery and 3 short trips use on it.

This WDH is so good one has to allow extra room when making turns - Gas Stations!
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #35

I'm partial to the Andersen. Simple, smooth, quieter and lighter for towables this size. Dunno, but at $580 installed... CW is trying to sell you a $300 hitch... and probably won't get the setup right. Ask me how I know.

Weight Distribution Hitch | Andersen Hitches

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3380.../dp/B006X21BH0
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #36

x599 on the Equalizer

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #37
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperJo View Post
Hello campers,

I am looking to pull a TT with a 7725 gross weight and a 725 tongue weight with my F250 gas (12,500 tow capacity). CW has quoted $580 for a WDH installed but I have no idea which hitch they are trying to sell me. I am looking for recommendations. Chains or no chains? I do want back up capability and anti-sway.

Thank you!,
camper Jo
My hitch/drawbar/ball is rated for 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight and 2,550 lbs. tongue weight. This is well below my truck's capacity. The truck also has electronic sway control.
I don't use a WDH or external weight control.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I'm partial to the Andersen. Simple, smooth, quieter and lighter for towables this size. Dunno, but at $580 installed... CW is trying to sell you a $300 hitch... and probably won't get the setup right. Ask me how I know.

Weight Distribution Hitch | Andersen Hitches

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3380.../dp/B006X21BH0
WW
I loved the Andersen for weight and ease of operation. Absolutely no sway. My issue was I was unable to transfer weight back to the front. I lost 420 lbs on the nose due to tongue weight. That put my tongue weight at 1,300+. The TV handle and steered ok, but I didn't like the heavy tongue with a 1200+max class IV hitch. Therefore, sold the Andersen , purchased the Blue OX and now I have the front back within 1/4" of unhooked and my Tongue Weight is at 1,120. Happy camper with the Blue Ox. Not knocking the Andersen just didn't do what I wanted.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #39

The Anderson is an interesting system but pricey. I was going to get it once for a mobile workshop \ fiber optic trailer but never did and never needed it. Towed that trailer all over the SE with an F150 without a WDH. Never had a problem.
CamperJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #40

The Equilizer seems to be a very popular choice. I did see a Blue Ox locally in Craiglist with pictures. Looks barely used and is going for $300.
CamperJo is offline   Reply With Quote