Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

WDH Grinding

We recently purchased a Ram 1500 to replace our F150. Obviously, the wdh wasn't a perfect fit anymore so I tried adjusting it myself, added air bags to the truck's back end, and ended up going to an RV shop to have them adjust it properly. They told me that it was perfect. (And, yes, I had them repeat that in front of my significant other since she's always telling me that I can never do anything right)

Well, we took a 2000 mile trip since then (everything seemed fine) but I noticed this grinding when we got back. Is this normal?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_092854.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	210425
ColdFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

Those are the signs of the Bars doing it's job with controlling sway. Some people use a teflon or some plastic piece that you can put on there that reduces the metal to metal wear.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

Mine looks the same way. I always thought something wasn't right when I would go through the camp ground and the trailer sounded like an old creaky ship, but then learned that's how it's supposed to sound. Like Wolfpaq said, it's a sign everything's working properly.
WFD473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

I put a little grease each time I hook up. It keeps the grinding sound down to a dull roar.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

Good to know it's normal. Thanks for the reassurance!

Yeah, that noise is a little annoying. Grease sounds like a good idea. Don't remember hearing it with my other truck, though. But I was more worried about the hitch being set up properly. Is it possible to have too much pressure there? Again, the RV shop said it was good but that was prior to loading up. Truck still squats a tiny bit when fully loaded but it's not nearly as bad as it was. Everyone says Rams are notorious for that. I just don't want to be causing any damage to the trailer or truck when hitting dips in the road while we're heading down the highway.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Coldfeet, since you didn't say, it appears you have the Equal-i-zer WDH.
Go to their website and you'll find their Bracket Jackets.
You also need to at least weigh the loaded tongue weight and compare that with your Ram's payload capacity.
NEVER believe that the RV dealer set up the WDH correctly. There are tons of YouTube videos on the Equal-i-zer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFeet View Post
Good to know it's normal. Thanks for the reassurance!
Grease sounds like a good idea.
I don't have this hitch so maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't putting grease on the friction zone inhibit the anti sway action?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Those are the signs of the Bars doing it's job with controlling sway. Some people use a teflon or some plastic piece that you can put on there that reduces the metal to metal wear.
WDH alone do not control sway. The bars don't control sway. Only leveling the load. Sway is controlled with the addition of sway shocks.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFeet View Post
We recently purchased a Ram 1500 to replace our F150. Obviously, the wdh wasn't a perfect fit anymore so I tried adjusting it myself, added air bags to the truck's back end, and ended up going to an RV shop to have them adjust it properly. They told me that it was perfect. (And, yes, I had them repeat that in front of my significant other since she's always telling me that I can never do anything right)

Well, we took a 2000 mile trip since then (everything seemed fine) but I noticed this grinding when we got back. Is this normal?
Attachment 210425
Yep, that is a normal looking hitch. My 2011 looks just like that.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #10

I couldn't imagine putting grease on what is supposed to be a friction point would be a good thing. Wouldn't that reduce the friction thus reducing the amount of sway control? To me that sounds like putting grease on your brake pads because you have a little squeal.
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollinr View Post
I couldn't imagine putting grease on what is supposed to be a friction point would be a good thing. Wouldn't that reduce the friction thus reducing the amount of sway control? To me that sounds like putting grease on your brake pads because you have a little squeal.
The bars do not control sway action. They are load leveling bars. WDH stands for Weight Distribution Hitch. To control sway you must add a sway control system of some sort. Think shock absorber. Note the sway control in this picture.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Serie...SABEgJfVvD_BwE
Old 07-23-2019, 06:21 AM   #12
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The bars do not control sway action. They are load leveling bars. WDH stands for Weight Distribution Hitch. To control sway you must add a sway control system of some sort. Think shock absorber. Note the sway control in this picture.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Serie...SABEgJfVvD_BwE
You are mistaken. The hitch in question has integrated sway using those mounts as friction mounts, there is no chain.
Cost4133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
You are mistaken. The hitch in question has integrated sway using those mounts as friction mounts, there is no chain.
You may be correct but the trailer I just purchased has those same square tube bars with no chain and it also has a sway control arm.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #14

I have the same hitch. He is correct. Explanation direct from the manufacturer.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works
Quote:
You may be correct but the trailer I just purchased has those same square tube bars with no chain and it also has a sway control arm.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #15

Quote:
WDH alone do not control sway. The bars don't control sway. Only leveling the load. Sway is controlled with the addition of sway shocks.
On the Equal-I-zer 4 point....the bars act as the "Sway" control for the TT. It's how they're designed. What's a "Sway Shock" ??
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
On the Equal-I-zer 4 point....the bars act as the "Sway" control for the TT. It's how they're designed. What's a "Sway Shock" ??
Same with the Centerline WDH. It uses "L" brackets that the bars sit on for not only the WD, but also sway control. My brackets looks like what is in the picture also, and it does a fantastic job. If it gets to the point where I feel it needs to be replaced, I will just buy new brackets.

I would never put any grease on the friction area. Kinda defeats its purpose. A silicon pad may work, but I would double check with the manufacturer.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #17

It's an e2 Fastway hitch with sway control. Looks just like the Equal-i-zer, though.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #18

I went with the Bracket Jacket that was suggested in previous posts. You can get them on Amazon for cheaper. Eliminates that rubbing, and does make it quieter. Never noticed any difference in sway control using them.

The main reason I went with the bracket jacket over grease is I anticipate getting the grease EVERYWHERE when you are dealing with the trunnion bars. It might start in the right place, but then you put your hand on it, or rub it on your shirt or pants. Then you place the bars in the truck bed, and it gets all over everything back there, etc. Screw that...

Old 07-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Coldfeet, since you didn't say, it appears you have the Equal-i-zer WDH.
Go to their website and you'll find their Bracket Jackets.
You also need to at least weigh the loaded tongue weight and compare that with your Ram's payload capacity.
NEVER believe that the RV dealer set up the WDH correctly. There are tons of YouTube videos on the Equal-i-zer.
What he said. Bought a new truck. I knew my hitch had to be readjusted. Decided to watch lots of videos and read instructions to see if I could do it myself. After doing all this, following instructions from the manufacturer, I discovered that the dealer hadn't installed my hitch correctly as to the manufacturer instructions/specifications. I did it myself, and now know all the resulting measurements are within the specifications of the instructions.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #20
Grammar Pedant

Read the manual and it will have instruction on where to grease. This will ensure that you don't grease the parts that shouldn't be greased. Manuals are great that way. Otherwise, you're stuck listening to a bunch of strangers who will tell you how their WDHs work ... which may be different than your own.

Cheers.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote