Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #1

WDH - Hensley, Propride - are they so much better ??

Ok, here is the question, I have a 37 toy hauler, I currently have a 4 pt equalizer 1400lb WD hitch setup and it works pretty good, yes I have some pull when being passed by a semi, but that's to be expected, at least I think so. I have towed campers and trailer for years, in fact for about 5 years I worked part time for a RV dealer in NC and made countless trips to Jayco and KZ to pickup new units. To anyone that has made the investment and bought a Hensley or Propride WDH, are they so much better that they are worth the 3000. I'm not unhappy with my current setup, but would defiantly be willing to spend the investment if they are worth it. I would like for my wife to help drive on the interstate to give me a break sometimes, but she has almost no towing experience and would like it to be as safe and sway free as possible.

So if you have made the change or know someone that has, give me your input

Thanks
2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

I had a sway problem with my Toyota Sequoia. I bought a Hensley. All sway eliminated.

Over time I sold the TT and then thinking I would not have another TT, I sold the Hensley.

Now I have another TT with a Equal-i-zet E4. There is NO comparison. The E4 reduces sway, but, as you noticed, not completely. Also, there is the E4 “song”.

The downside to the Hensley is the price and the learning curve for hooking up. Once mastered, much easier. Price is forgotten after the second tow.

Wife may get angry after multiple questions of “Did you notice how well the trailer is towing?”
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #3

I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and tow a wolf pup 17rp small toy hauler. When I first got it sway was a disaster. It got so much worse when loaded, even the Equalizer 4pt couldn’t do a thing to help. I didn’t have the money to get a new tow vehicle so I decided sell the brand new toy hauler. But just by chance I came across the Hensley website and after talking to Terry he convinced me to give it a try. Best decision I ever made. Now I can easily tow at 75mph on Arizona freeways, the same speed as trucks and nothing affects me, and I mean nothing. Emergency braking, desert wind storms, semi’s it’s amazing. My fj crusier can easily pull it, and I’m not over the legal limits, it was just the short wheelbase combined with 1000 lbs loaded behind the axle in the hauler. I still plan on getting a bigger truck, ram 2500 or titan xd but that’ll be next year. The Hensley makes towing a pleasure. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	214483
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #4

For a tow vehicle and trailer that are well matched, I think the answer is "no," the difference in price of a Hensley hitch is not worth it, compared to a current-generation four-point hitch such as Equalizer, Husky Centerline TS, or Reese Steadi-Flex.

I towed a 6,000 lb Outback trailer with a Chevy Avalanche equipped with a 6.0L Vortec and Hensley Arrow for six years. The hitch worked as advertised; I never experienced trailer sway. The Hensley was about $3,000.

I now tow a 5,300 lb Grey Wolf trailer with a Nissan Titan and a Husky Centerline TS hitch. I have never experienced trailer sway with this set-up either. The Husky Centerline provides a safe, relaxed towing experience. Cost is about $350.

Bottom line: If your trailer is well within the capacity of your tow vehicle, I do not consider the very high cost of a Hensley Arrow to be necessary. I can't speak concerning the Pro-Pride because I've never owned one or priced one.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #5

Had a Hensley when I owned a bumper pull trailer. If I ever go back to a bumper pull, it will have a Hensley or ProPride. Yes, a properly set up weight distribution hitch will suffice, but one emergency lane change and you,ll wish you had the Hensley or Propride. Been there, done that. Glade I had the Hensley, trailer stayed behind the truck all the way through the maneuver. If I had Reese Dual Cam that I had before the Hensley, I probably would not be writing this post. Either one is well worth the money.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

With a proper TV and Equalizer 4 point I never saw anyone with a need for more. An SUV or truck named TOY.... or the like then yes.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Had a Reese Straight-line hitch setup. Worked acceptably good 95% of the time. The 5% that it didn't work well (windy days or trucks passing), it was living hell.

Last trip with I had a sway incident where I was sure we were gonna wreck. I had my heart in my throat as I used up BOTH lanes on the interstate to get everything whoa-ed up and back under control. It was at that moment I vowed "never again". Had I wrecked it then (and it was THISCLOSE) $3000 would have looked like chicken-feed.

Bought a ProPride, and first trip out with it was the very first trip EVER pulling my camper where I was totally relaxed. Not "most-of-the-time relaxed". But totally, 100% relaxed in the confidence that this thing simply will not (read: can not) sway. That was worth the purchase price right there.

People will tell you that you don't need it. They will tout Brand X or Brand Y hitches as all you really need, and they might be right. At least 95% of the time.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

^ X2.

Though I admit to not being relaxed ALL the time. Narrow lanes in construction zones still raise my stress level...

I have a Propride and really like the WD jack setup. You can really dial the WD in to exactly what you need. And no worries about the WD bars snapping free and causing an injury.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #9

I have been using a Pro-Pride for 9 years, I won't tow the camper without it. I can drive one handed and sometimes forget the trailer is back there. There are a few times when a heavy gust of wind will push the rig but it pushes the whole rig, not just the camper. Owning a Pro-Pride is an investment.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

Have my ProPride for 8 years now and from my perspective, best WDH made. Would not tow my 33 feet travel trailer( 8500 lbs ) without it. But it is a personal choice...
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #11

You can get a pre-owned remanufactured one directly from Hensley or pro pride for well under $2k. Or least I could have about 8 months ago.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #12

I have about 10K miles on my Hensley Cub. Before that I put about 3K miles on an Anderson. Many on the forum here will claim that Hensley and ProPride defy the laws of physics and the cost does not justify results. These folks don’t understand the laws of physics cannot be broken and that engineering is simply applied physics.

As far as the cost goes, yes they are expensive, but what is the value of safety and peace of mind when it comes to your investment in Tow Vehicle, camper, and the lives of you and your family? I am continually amazed at the complaints about a $3,000 hitch by people driving $40,000 trucks and $30,000 campers. I really don’t get it.

As mentioned earlier, the real value of the Hensley and ProPride design is not fully realized until you have to make an evasive maneuver, which thankfully most RV’ers will never do, but when it happens to you, you will survive with grace and ease due to some spectacular engineering. You will not regret the purchase of a Hensley or ProPride. Hensley offers an impressive money back guarantee. Try it, if you aren’t blown away by the joy of towing with it, send it back and get your money back. I’ll bet you keep it.

Jamnut
Old 09-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #13

I have a Pro Pride. Short answer, yes its worth it. I've tried the Equalizer and E2. My opinion, if towing something longer than 25', these pivot point projection hitches make all the difference. l tow a 34' Rockwood, weighing in at 8300 lbs. And yes, I also pull with a f-250. The "big truck" doesn't prevent sway , it reduces how much you feel it. The trailer still could be moving back there, you just don't feel it a much like I did towing with an F150 . Incredibly stable towing experience, wind no longer is worry some. People spend $30k+ On a trailer, $ 45k+ on a truck, but baulk at spending over a few hundred dollars on the one thing that holds it all together. The only thing I regret about buying my 3P is I didn't do it sooner and towed so many stressful , windy times.
gone: 2013 F150, standard Tow
2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #14

Hensley Hitch

I have had my Hensley on two different TT. The present one is a 2017 34' Lacrosse. I have pulled from coast to coast in the last two years! the first trailer went from Arkansas to Whidbey Island Washington every summer for three years in a row! I am not exaggerating when I say one-hand driving with semi's and heavy crosswind! Would not pull without it! The lacrosse has three slides and 1350 lb tongue weight. I pull with a SRW dodge 3500 diesel crew cab. I pulled the first TT, a 28 ft coachman with a Tundra with the Hensley. If you decide on a Hensley, Call the company and inquire on a used rebuilt Hensley. I saved over 500+ dollars and still got the lifetime warranty just like a new one! I broke a strut in Washington when I made a sharp turn and the spring bar hit the trailer tongue jack foot. My bad as I didn't fully retract the jack! Hensley didn't care about who's fault! I had a replacement sent next day air to my location! I payed shipping only! Every part of a Hensley is covered like that! Great customer service! Talk to Terry at Hensley and he will fix you up! Safe travels!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #15

Who spends $30k on a trailer, and $45k on a truck? Not me. I spend what I can afford, that will still do the job well. If I can't afford what will do the job well, I won't buy the trailer and truck in the first place. I've had emergency lane changes, and the Equal-I-zer handle it like a champ. I also credit proper loading, and an excellent driver !! HA-HA!

By the money argument ("if you spend lots of dough on truck/trailer, why not the hitch") everybody should skip the "projected hitch point" argument, and go straight to the "actual 5th wheel".

I can hear it now:
"You spend $30k on a trailer anyway, why cheap out and get an inferior bumper pull? Why get the virtual 5th wheel, when you can get the rear thing?"
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #16

Although I have never towed with a Hensley or a Propride so I can't comment on them those of you that do that’s great and if it makes you towing experience better that is what is all about.

This reminds me so much of the gas vs diesel debate for those who tow with a diesel like myself and pull lighter weights. I only pull 8K and a lot of folks say you don’t need it for that low of a weight Blah Blah Blah and all the negatives like it’s 10K more you’re going to need to keep it 300K to break even, It cost more to maintain, it’s going to give you issues…etc.

I have never felt the need to justify anything I do for approval on a public forum that includes buying a 3K hitch if I ever decide to 😊
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolan5 View Post
I broke a strut in Washington when I made a sharp turn and the spring bar hit the trailer tongue jack foot. My bad as I didn't fully retract the jack! Hensley didn't care about who's fault! I had a replacement sent next day air to my location! I payed shipping only! Every part of a Hensley is covered like that! Great customer service! Talk to Terry at Hensley and he will fix you up! Safe travels!

OK, thread hijack, but I have to ask.
I don't see how any part of my Propride hitch could hit the tongue jack. Where on your hitch is the strut that broke because it hit the jack?

I usually pull my jack up so that bottom is just higher than the bottom of the spring bars. Trying to understand why I may need to retract it farther... TIA
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
"You spend $30k on a trailer anyway, why cheap out and get an inferior bumper pull? Why get the virtual 5th wheel, when you can get the rear thing?"

Kinda hard to hook up a 5th wheel to a SUV, dig?

But why do you tow with a $9000 Cummins diesel, when a gas motor will do the job just as well? (there ya go... Can open... Worms everywhere!)

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Who spends $30k on a trailer, and $45k on a truck? Not me. I spend what I can afford, that will still do the job well. If I can't afford what will do the job well, I won't buy the trailer and truck in the first place. I've had emergency lane changes, and the Equal-I-zer handle it like a champ. I also credit proper loading, and an excellent driver !! HA-HA!

By the money argument ("if you spend lots of dough on truck/trailer, why not the hitch") everybody should skip the "projected hitch point" argument, and go straight to the "actual 5th wheel".

I can hear it now:
There will always be guys like you, who don't spend or buy new/expensive things, and nothing wrong with it. However the masses seem to not be that way, based on what I see in campgrounds. You don't believe in spending the money, and that's your choice. They question is does it work and is worth it. My answer is "probably, depending on the trailer length". Typically the argument is buy a big truck, which is even more expensive.
The 5th wheel argument is bogus as many people don't want one. Either they don't want to drive a HD truck, or, like me, want the bed of my truck to put stuff in like kayaks or my daughter's toys. So I have the best of all world's in my setup. Big truck to have all the PL I need, good bed to put stuff, and the safest hitch on the market.
I've had the Equalizer. I know how to drive like most do. I know how to load a trailer. I know how to weigh it. I know limits and ratings. I know it worked well in general, but the second winds picked up about 15 mph, which is nearly all the time in the Midwest summer, then it got very tiresome. Slowing down was the only solution. Going slow is not a bad thing they say!
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #20

Quote:

I can hear it now:

After towing with a SUV I would never buy a 5th wheel. When I get a truck soon it’ll be so nice to be able to put dirt bikes and gear in the back. So by owning a Hensley I’ll get the zero sway that a 5th wheel gets and be able to use my truck bed.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, propride