Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #1

WDH recommendation for new trailer

hello all, and thanks in advance for the help. I am about to purchase a new trailer. it will be a rockwood 2509S and it's weight is 5200lbs and the hitch weight is 710lbs. I am Pulling it with a 2016 F150 5L V8 and my tow rating is 9100lbs.

with that out of the way, i would like to get a WDH with sway control when i purchase the trailer. I have tried reading about them here but it seemed hard to filter thru all the posts, so i figured i'd make a fresh one for me. what would be the ones you guys would recommend i look at for my specific setup? and if you could tell me the pros/cons of each if possible. i know i may be asking a lot but i just want to make sure i purchase the correct thing and dont regret my decision 6 months from now.

thanks again, and as always, happy RVing to you all!
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

I use the Equalizer 4 pt hitch - works well for me. There are several other good ones on the market.

Also , I wouldn't go with the Andersen.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
hello all, and thanks in advance for the help. I am about to purchase a new trailer. it will be a rockwood 2509S and it's weight is 5200lbs and the hitch weight is 710lbs. I am Pulling it with a 2016 F150 5L V8 and my tow rating is 9100lbs.

with that out of the way, i would like to get a WDH with sway control when i purchase the trailer. I have tried reading about them here but it seemed hard to filter thru all the posts, so i figured i'd make a fresh one for me. what would be the ones you guys would recommend i look at for my specific setup? and if you could tell me the pros/cons of each if possible. i know i may be asking a lot but i just want to make sure i purchase the correct thing and dont regret my decision 6 months from now.

thanks again, and as always, happy RVing to you all!
Since this is not your first trailer I will start by asking what you used previously and how was that experience for you.
Virtually everyone has a different level of comfort for what's acceptable.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Since this is not your first trailer I will start by asking what you used previously and how was that experience for you.
Virtually everyone has a different level of comfort for what's acceptable.
right now i have the one with the 2 bars and a friction sway bar. i wanted to get away from the friction sway control and get a WDH that has the sway control built in. i guess i should have mentioned that as well, sorry.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

Equalizer 4pt is what I’ve been using for 10k miles pulling our 28’ bunk house with a half ton Ram. We love it. Had the e2 before that and the 4pt is noticeably better
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fire View Post
Equalizer 4pt is what I’ve been using for 10k miles pulling our 28’ bunk house with a half ton Ram. We love it. Had the e2 before that and the 4pt is noticeably better
thanks, i'll take a look into that one.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

+ 1 for the E4.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fire View Post
this is the one you are talking about correct?

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/
Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #9

We don’t know your specific wants and budget, so I’ll just put out there one that I found to be a good overall value - it comes with an anti sway bar and some pre assembly as well as different weight ratings for tongue weight and overall weight:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #10

It is funny you should post this thread. My wife and I are planning on purchasing a 2509s either this fall or we are going to wait for next spring and get a 2020 model. I have been contemplating what hitch to get for this trailer. We will be towing with 3/4 ton suburban with 8.1 vortec. I have always been torn. My heart truly wanted a propride or hensley but the cost hits the pocket book hard. But going this route you know you have the best and I havn't heard of a person having any regrets using one of the hitches. The Equilizer was my other option. A lot easier on the pocket book and people seem to have great reviews on it. To wrap it up, I actually just bought a Hensley arrow today. I found a used one on craigslist that was bought this past june and only used twice. The owner upgraded to a fifth wheel and had no use for it. I paid right at half price for a basically new Hensley and couldn't be happier. If you do a national craigslist search you might score a deal also. Now just have to get the trailer! If you can swing the cost I highly recommend just biting the bullet on a hensley or propride. If not I think a properly set up equilizer can serve you well.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
We don’t know your specific wants and budget, so I’ll just put out there one that I found to be a good overall value - it comes with an anti sway bar and some pre assembly as well as different weight ratings for tongue weight and overall weight:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The OP already has a basic WDH with the old tech friction sway bar.
He stated he wants something more modern, with integrated sway control, like the 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH.

Mammoth, you're making a common newbie mistake by using fictional dry weights.
Those numbers are based on a stripped-down version of the trailer.
Don't go by those numbers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
this is the one you are talking about correct?

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Yes sir! Check out craigslist and Facebook marketplace, I scored mine for 250 used. The warranty dept is also accessional. Hensley and propride are probably better, but for budget friendly the e4 does a wonderful job and is excellent quality.
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #13

I have a ProPride. Expensive? Yes. In my mind, worth every penny. Over 25k miles using it. All towing with either a 2016 or 2018 F-150, both Platinum trim and both completely stock - 20" P-rated tires, etc.

1. On a drive from Detroit to Grand Rapids MI. I was stopped in a rest area. Guy in a 3/4 ton and a SOB trailer pulls up next to me and proceeds to comment on the wind that day, he needed a break - it was pretty strong. The only issue I had noticed was how fast I was going thru gas.
2. North bound on I-75 coming up on Lexington KY. Wind partly deployed my rear trailer steps. I knew the wind was blowing, but had no issues with the trailer misbehaving.
3 Southbound on US 27 in Georgia. Cross-wind was strong enough that it sucked off the front half of the trailer underbelly. I knew the wind was blowing, but again. had no issues with the trailer misbehaving. Discovered the underbelly issue when we stopped to register at a campground.

The hitch increases the distance between my truck and the trailer a bit - allows me to fully open the tailgate while hitched. Nice feature while setting up or breaking down camp. The other "feature" I like, WD bars are permanently attached to the hitch - nothing to store and no grease worries.

Regarding your 6 month comment, last I heard, ProPride will refund your purchase if you aren't happy with the hitch.

Do your research and decide out what is best for you....
YMMV
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #14

I tow a similar-sized 2104S with an Equalizer 4 point and have nothing but good things to say about it. Take the time to set it up right, they have a very helpful video, and it pulls like a dream.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #15

I just got rid of my round bar hitch with separate sway control. I didn't like it since you have to be so careful backing up with it. I bought the equilizer as well. I bought the nylon pieces that the spring bars sit on. Makes the hitch quieter at the expense of a little less sway control.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #16
Multi-Slacker

I just went through the analysis a few months ago. My conclusions were that Propride then Hensley were best but at a price point that was unrealistic for us. In the 2nd tier are Andersen, Blue Ox, Equalizer-4-pt, Husky Centerline, and Reese.

I have now used the Husky Centerlines and the Andersen - either is fine. I prefer the Andersen.

I spent hours looking at hitch and unhitch videos for all the hitches and compared them to my criteria. I suggest you do the same because any of the hitches I mentioned will do just fine for you. While you watch the videos, imagine the truck pointing up or down or tilted or at an angle to the hitch cup. YMWV
Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #17

well after reading all your comments and watching some videos and reading some reviews it looks like the opinions area all very similar. The hensley and propride are nice, but out of my current budget. so it looks like its between the Equal-i-zer 4pt and the Andersen no sway chain system.

now both of these are very different from each other. and the andersen looks like its a newer tech. but both have good reviews and a good fan base. anyone have any opinions or reasons i should go one over the other or would both be equally effective? they're pretty close in price, so that's not really a factor.

and thanks to everyone for taking the time to help and for your input.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #18

Anderson is lighter if that's a concern.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #19
Good Ole Dad

I like My Anderson. Light Weight, not much Noise and Backing up No Problem. The only thing I can Compare it to is a HF Round bar that was Heavier than Heck but worked Great.
Hensley Arrow.
2021 262RL StarCraft.
G.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #20

Quote:
right now i have the one with the 2 bars and a friction sway bar. i wanted to get away from the friction sway control and get a WDH that has the sway control built in. i guess i should have mentioned that as well, sorry.
Andersen is the way to go . no more messing with bars and all the extra weight and grease with a standard WDH . JMHO
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer