Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #1

WDH Set Up - New Truck

My current set up pairs an Equal-i-zer 4 point WDH with a Sierra 1500. The set up is perfectly nailed (confirmed with multiple trips to the CAT scales). I'm about to take delivery on a new Sierra 2500. I'm guessing the hitch receiver will be 3-4 inches higher than it was on the 1500.

I should be able to flip the shank and lower the ball down without too much trouble. My question is this....is it really as simple as getting the ball to the same height it was on the old truck? Or do I need to start from scratch and adjust the whole set up (including washers) to account for differences in suspension, etc? Also, this assumes I can get the bolts loosened (specs say they were tightened to 430 ft lbs). I have a 250 lb torque wrench to put them back on. Assuming if that all works out I could just drop by a local hitch shop and have them tightened all the way to specs after the fact.

I'm sure many of you have gone through the same thing. Appreciate any insight and advice!
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #2

You will need to change the angle since your suspension is different. You can try it with what you have now but my bet is that it will need to change.

For me, since I weigh 190#, I just calculated the length of extension I needed to get the required spec and stood at that point on the extension. For me it was 2 1/4 feet. The extension has to be perfectly parallel with the ground.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #3

I went from a2005 ram 1500 to a 2015 ram 1500 and had to redo setup. I don't use torque wrench just a big breaker bar.

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
My current set up pairs an Equal-i-zer 4 point WDH with a Sierra 1500. The set up is perfectly nailed (confirmed with multiple trips to the CAT scales). I'm about to take delivery on a new Sierra 2500. I'm guessing the hitch receiver will be 3-4 inches higher than it was on the 1500.

I should be able to flip the shank and lower the ball down without too much trouble. My question is this....is it really as simple as getting the ball to the same height it was on the old truck? Or do I need to start from scratch and adjust the whole set up (including washers) to account for differences in suspension, etc? Also, this assumes I can get the bolts loosened (specs say they were tightened to 430 ft lbs). I have a 250 lb torque wrench to put them back on. Assuming if that all works out I could just drop by a local hitch shop and have them tightened all the way to specs after the fact.

I'm sure many of you have gone through the same thing. Appreciate any insight and advice!
I would redo the setup in terms of checking weight return to front wheels. It could be that easy. You can measure the height differences to see if you need to do anything more drastic before weighing.

My guess is you may just need to change washers.

I took mine to a hitch shop because I didn't have the torque wrench and had to change the ball with a 430lb spec. All the other bolts on mine were only 240 or 40lbs so flipping the shank was easy on the blueox. I think equalizer would be just as easy.

The first shop just had a 200ish lb guy lean on a 3ft breaker bar sideways in the reciever. No torque spec :-( maybe you will have better luck. I took it to a different shop and did not see how they did it [emoji52]

I saw one guy here use his trailer tongue and a shirline scale to hit 450lbs by dropping the tongue on the wrench. Thought that was clever.

Make sure you have the right reciever as well. I borrowed a buddies f250 and needed a 2.5in to 2in sleeve. Not sure if 2500s do the same thing.

Enjoy the new toy and good luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I saw one guy here use his trailer tongue and a shirline scale to hit 450lbs by dropping the tongue on the wrench. Thought that was clever.
That is an excellent idea. I am doing that next time since I have a Sherline scale.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #6

I went thru four trucks with my Equalizer 4 pt the dealership set it up on my Ram 2500 mostly sway concern then I bought Tundra barely able to get break in miles on it before I towed with it. During my first overnight stop on 30 day 5 k trip I was making the needed adjustments when I swapped to f 150 eco boost I waited till I put my sumos on to make an adjustment and glad I did because the Sumos saved me from having to make any adjustments when I went to the f 350 had to drop shank low as it would go don’t recall if I flipped it then measured believe I removed 1 shim all with hand tools and grunting
Old 03-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post

I am in a similar situation--going from a Ford f150 to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD. Since there's still snow on the ground here, I won't be able to work on this for awhile yet. However, here's what I was planning:
1) Adjust the head height as close to the old setup as possible.
2) Do the measurements and possibly change # of washers.
3) Confirm setup on CAT scale and adjust further if necessary.

I believe the 430 ft-lbs torque only applies to the ball. You shouldn't have to mess with the ball at all for this. All the other bolts were considerably less
with the shank bolts around 300 as I recall. Anyway, I have a 300 lb torque wrench and I figured it's close enough. I've had no issues with it coming loose for the past 2 years. When I first setup my hitch, I went to an implement dealer and they torqued the ball for me. The rest I was able to do myself. You could always use your 250-lb wrench and then try to put an extra quarter turn or so on it with a long breaker bar.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #8

Thanks Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ulmer View Post
I am in a similar situation--going from a Ford f150 to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD. Since there's still snow on the ground here, I won't be able to work on this for awhile yet. However, here's what I was planning:
1) Adjust the head height as close to the old setup as possible.
2) Do the measurements and possibly change # of washers.
3) Confirm setup on CAT scale and adjust further if necessary.

I believe the 430 ft-lbs torque only applies to the ball. You shouldn't have to mess with the ball at all for this. All the other bolts were considerably less
with the shank bolts around 300 as I recall. Anyway, I have a 300 lb torque wrench and I figured it's close enough. I've had no issues with it coming loose for the past 2 years. When I first setup my hitch, I went to an implement dealer and they torqued the ball for me. The rest I was able to do myself. You could always use your 250-lb wrench and then try to put an extra quarter turn or so on it with a long breaker bar.
Just out of curiosity have you measured yet to see how much different the height is with the new truck? I'm assuming flipping the shank will provide sufficient drop but my new truck is en route so I've not been able to measure it. And you're right, it's only the ball at 430 lbs. The shank bolts are just over 300. I only have a 250 lb wrench but your idea to go an extra quarter turn with a breaker bar is a good one. If not, can always swing by a hitch shop and I'm sure they'd tighten it up for me. Let's hope for some warm weather soon!
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #9

Sorry, but I haven't measured yet. However, in my case I had rear air bags on the f150 and my hitch was setup with 70lbs in the air bags, so that would have lifted the back end a couple of inches. Because of that, I'm not really expecting it to be too much different. You should be able to get at least 3 inches by flipping the shank, so hopefully it will be enough.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

When I went from a Dodge Ram 1500 to a Chevy 2500HD, I had to buy a new drop down.

The old one didn't drop down enough...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDhitchsetup-P1000277.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	198251  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
When I went from a Dodge Ram 1500 to a Chevy 2500HD, I had to buy a new drop down.

The old one didn't drop down enough...
I'm assuming the receiver openings are larger on the HD GM's as well?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Yep...might as well update the shank so you don't have to use the adapter.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Yes, but my truck came with the adapter, which works just fine.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Yep...might as well update the shank so you don't have to use the adapter.
Nope...

Was double the price...

Plus nobody had them in town.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Nope...

Was double the price...

Plus nobody had them in town.
Etrailer has them. Depending on the brand, not much more.

The first 2 here are identical except for the receiver size. The 2 1/2" is actualy cheaper.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ries_and_Parts
Old 03-08-2019, 01:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Etrailer has them. Depending on the brand, not much more.

The first 2 here are identical except for the receiver size. The 2 1/2" is actualy cheaper.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ries_and_Parts
That was 4 1/2 years ago...

Don't need them anymore (notice I have a 5'ver now).

That photo I posted was the shot I used to sell all of that stuff on Craigslist.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
That was 4 1/2 years ago...

Don't need them anymore (notice I have a 5'ver now).

That photo I posted was the shot I used to sell all of that stuff on Craigslist.
LOL....so what? I am trying to help the current poster.

Tags
truck