Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Scoundrel

WDH Tongue Weight Estimation..

2014 Micro-Lite 19fd
I'm planning to purchase my first WDH and trying to assess what to get. My Micro-Lite 19fd has an empty weight of 3,100lbs with a tongue weight of 400lbs. I presume the manufacturers tongue weight does not include two full propane tanks or two group 24 batteries. If thats a correct assumption, adding full propane tanks and batteries then I'm nearing 550lbs tongue weight. With my pick-ups Leer shell and roof racks I estimate my aft rear axle load to be another 130lbs. Thus I estimate my total tongue weight to be close to 700lbs. Are my assumptions correct? I live in a remote area of Colorado and my nearest weigh stations are hours away. Weighing axles, truck, GCVW is not easily done. Truck payload is 1,300 and with my loaded truck (passengers, dog, generator, fuel, everything) I still have payload to spare. While I plan to do a lot of dry camping and I generally travel with minimal amount of water in my fresh water tank (15 gals) and just water up near my destination. I'm thinking a WDH with 800lbs bars and am looking for an affordable, but quality solution.

As always, thank you in advance for considering the above,
Rich J.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #2

tongue weight is usually calculated to be 12-15% of trailer weight... so even loaded with propane and batteries you are probably around 500-550#... you must also add the weight of the WDH which is usually around 75#

I have and recommend a Harbor Freight WDH... they come with 1000# bars which will work for your trailer. Go to their website and sign up for emails and look for their often posted 20% coupon. You can usually get out the door with the hitch for about $200. You must also add a 2 5/16 inch ball, which funny enough HF does NOT sell but Walmart does. The Harbor Freight hitch is a Reese hitch knock off. Plenty sturdy and rugged... I have had mine now for nearly 3 years and many thousands of miles.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

I agree. 600 lbs WDH would be too close to your actual loaded TW, resulting in a bouncy ride. 800 would be optimal, but not all WDH kits come in that size (Equalizer 4pt does not). If you can't find an 800 in the brand you want, 1000 capacity would work, but might be a little stiff.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Thanks for the replies. I popped for a Husky with 800lb bars.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #5

Hope your Husky is as stable as an Equalizer. We had many different WHDs, only the Equalizer performed as advertised.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

I am using a Husky round bar with 800 lb bars on a 5400 lb loaded micro lite with good results. It took several tries to hit the sweet spot for head tilt and links to end up with the proper weight transfer with the bars parallel with the trailer frame and ground.

Don't be afraid you will over tighten the friction plate. They need to be quite tight to work. Like an equalizer and most other friction hitches if you never hear it popping it probably isn't controlling sway as well as it could.

If you have the Husky centerline most of above still applies except the comments on the friction plate.

Lots of good setup videos on YouTube. Watch several even if your dealer set it up. Unless you loaded the tv and tt as they will be on a trip before the dealer dialed in the setup it is unlikely to be ideal.
2007 Thor Cub 165 hybrid
Husky round bar hitch
2006 Honda Shadow and 13ft canoe in the truck bed
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:57 PM   #7

For the benefit of readers. Typically the best way to size WDH bars is to take the trailer GVWR multiply that number by 12.5 percent then select a bar with the next weight size above that number.

So if the GVWR of this trailer is 5000 pounds multiplied by 12.5 percent come out with 625 pounds. If the next size up is 750 pound rated bars that your pick.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TV’s max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight