Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #1

WDH with SC

Hello All

Have a question and I think all your expertise will help me. So here it goes.

I have a 2005 21ss Roo TV is a 1500 chevy

1. Do i need sway control with this trailer? The dealer said all i would need is a WD hitch

2. Do you think towing mirrors will be needed? If so do you have any recomendations for mirrors?

Any help you could give me would be great. I have not towed this trailer yet and would like to be as prepared as possible when we get it.
Thanks again for all the help.
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Need is a relative thing. You may not need it till you do. But when you need it you REALLY need it.

I'd say with a 1500 you NEED weight distribution AND sway control.

I would definitely recommend you get either a Equal-i-zer or a Reese Dual Cam and make sure it's set up correctly.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #3

I use CIPA Custom Tow Mirrors. Easy to put on and take off. They do the job for me. Very little vibration
I recommend the Equil-i-zer hitch. I just got one with my new tt.
I had a wd hitch with a friction sway control before. I experienced sway and felt the "sucking" from semis when they passed. I haven't experienced any of that with the new hitch.
You will want to check the set up very close. My dealer didn't do a very good job. When I got home I read the instructions and re-did the set up. It wasn't hard to do and made a lot of difference.
Don't forget to get a brake controller. You'll need one of those as well.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #4

First thing is first, check the manual on your tow vehicle under towing, with a 1/2 ton Chevy truck you might find in the manual that if the trailer weighs over 5,000 lbs it is highly recommended that a WD&S control system is needed.
---------------------------------------------
Members of the Forum, it sounds like Tim is a newbie and I see that under the recommendation for WD&S system it has been stated.....to make sure He (Tim) that the equipment is installed correctly well, if Tim is a newbie he needs some kind of guide lines to make sure that the equipment is installed correctly, can anyone recommend a link for Tim to go to and print out the proper guide lines for insulation on the equipment he selects this way Tim can check behind the dealer and question anything that looks odd.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #5

Timmy,
I'm following rockwood06's advise. Go to www.equilizerhitch.com and you can find all the information needed about their hitch system. The same info that comes with the hitch as far as installation and so forth. It gives detail instructions which aren't hard to follow. Should help you out as far as that type of hitch system.
I used the same info to find out all that they did wrong when installing my hitch, then used the info to correct it myself.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #6

I would get the correct weight Equal-i-zer, and be done with it.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Team

I specifically didn't recommend a particular setup because it will be different depending on which hitch he decides on. Once he decides and reports back here what brand/type he has I'm sure he will get some very detailed instructionns on the proper setup. I appologize for not making this clear in my first post.

We do sometimes forget that when a person posts here it may very well be the first place they have been. I promise to try and keep that in mind in the future. Thanks Rockwood06 for the reminder.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Site Team

yes, you'll need a WDH and sway control. the 21SS is tongue-heavy.
i have an E-qual-izer which has built-in sway control. i love it and it's trouble free.
the Reese Dual-Cam is also highly recommended. Reese did come out with a clone of the E-qual-izer. i think it's called the Pro. and it's cheaper.
the best price for an Equalizer is RVWholesalers.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #9

Thanks for the help. I did decide to go with the Equal i zer hitch as it seems to be highly recommended. This hitch was my initial thought but now you all have reafirmed my decision. Again thanks for all your quick responses!! This forum has really helped to expand my knowledge on camping with a TT as a newbie.
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #10

I have a very inexpensive, heavy duty Pro-series 12000 lb round bar unit ($170) with the friction sway control. The difference between no-WD and SC and having it is like night and day. The hitch adjustment can be tedious and a daunting task but you'll love it in the end.

'07 Salem T26BH
If you want to buy one of these just take the cash, wad it up and throw it into the garbage.
eightrac is offline   Reply With Quote