Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

Weighed at the cat scale. What do you think?

First weigh is the truck, second is truck and trailer and finally truck and trailer with wdh bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_161945.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	234274   Click image for larger version

Name:	15951906025226332323767118369500.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	234275  
Gerogesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

And your truck’s GVWR, FAWR, and RAWR (listed on the driver’s B-pillar) are what?
Old 07-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #3

Here's the sticker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_191530.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	234286  
Old 07-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #4

You are over weight limits on both the rear axle and the Gross Vehicle Weight.

280 lbs over your rear axle wight limit.
520 lbs over your gross vehicle weight limit.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
You are over weight limits on both the rear axle and the Gross Vehicle Weight.

280 lbs over your rear axle wight limit.
520 lbs over your gross vehicle weight limit.
Yes I understand that, just trying to see how I can find a solution. The trailer is 4000lbs dry and 24ft so it's not oversized for a half ton.

I dont think I can raise the notch for wdh bar because the bars wont be parallel to the frame of the trailer. Adding more washer to tilt the head further back (towards the trailer) wont increase the weight transfer (to the steer axle and trailer axles) will it?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerogesin View Post
Adding more washer to tilt the head further back (towards the trailer) wont increase the weight transfer (to the steer axle and trailer axles) will it?
Yes it will.

Any way you can move your L brackets back? They look way to close to the front of the trailer.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #7

Weighed at the cat scale. What do you think?

Quote:
Yes I understand that, just trying to see how I can find a solution. The trailer is 4000lbs dry and 24ft so it's not oversized for a half ton.

I dont think I can raise the notch for wdh bar because the bars wont be parallel to the frame of the trailer. Adding more washer to tilt the head further back (towards the trailer) wont increase the weight transfer (to the steer axle and trailer axles) will it?

The only solutions for being overweight are...

- Reduce your payload (put your vehicle on a diet)
- Get a tow vehicle with enough capacity
- Get a smaller trailer

Fiddling with your WDH or throwing parts at it isn’t going to fix your problem.

Your truck only had 360LB of payload capacity left before you hooked up the trailer. You must have a lot of stuff in or on the truck to have such little payload capacity left.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #8

Something doesn't add up....Why was the total 100# more in the 3rd measurement? Where were your WDH bars during the 2nd measurement? WDh bars don't weigh 100#

You also have 940# of tongue weight. How do you have that much with a 4000# dry weight trailer? If that is accurate, you need to fix that. That's way too much
Old 07-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

What's your Ram's payload capacity?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Yes it will.

Any way you can move your L brackets back? They look way to close to the front of the trailer.
The picture is a bit deceiving because the truck is actually parked on an angle. Its within specs are per husky ts instructions.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The only solutions for being overweight are...

- Reduce your payload (put your vehicle on a diet)
- Get a tow vehicle with enough capacity
- Get a smaller trailer

Fiddling with your WDH or throwing parts at it isn’t going to fix your problem.

Your truck only had 360LB of payload capacity left before you hooked up the trailer. You must have a lot of stuff in or on the truck to have such little payload capacity left.
The payload on our 1500 ram is just under 1500lbs. I didnt think I have a lot of weight in it. The heaviest items would be the wdh, backflip tonneau, linex ?, amp side step, and several heavy coatings of fluid film.

We have a roof rack with 2 bikes, 1 kid bike, several folding chairs, a portable bbq, and a folding table.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #12

Quote:
The payload on our 1500 ram is just under 1500lbs. I didnt think I have a lot of weight in it. The heaviest items would be the wdh, backflip tonneau, linex ?, amp side step, and several heavy coatings of fluid film.

We have a roof rack with 2 bikes, 1 kid bike, several folding chairs, a portable bbq, and a folding table.

1500 pounds minus your weight (assuming you were in the truck when it was weighed?), anyone else in the truck, and all that stuff must add up to 1,140 pounds. People, including the driver, count against the payload capacity. Is there anyone else that will be traveling with you that wasn’t in the truck when weighed? If so then you’re going to be that much more overweight. Since you have 2 adult bikes and 1 kid bike that means you’ll have 3 people riding in the truck. Were they in the truck when you got it weighed?

I’m not sure how you don’t think all that people and gear doesn’t weigh a lot. That’s a lot of stuff when you still need to hitch up a trailer.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Something doesn't add up....Why was the total 100# more in the 3rd measurement? Where were your WDH bars during the 2nd measurement? WDh bars don't weigh 100#

You also have 940# of tongue weight. How do you have that much with a 4000# dry weight trailer? If that is accurate, you need to fix that. That's way too much
I wondered that myself, why it lost 100lbs. The only thing I can say would be it was a very windy day? Nobody left the truck, nothing got on and nothing got off. The wdh bars I put in the bed of the truck when I weighed it.

The 4000lb dry is the manufacture rating. I added a power jack, dual 20lbs (instead of single 20lb) propane and dual 6v batteries.

I have a few things stored under our front mattress such as a space heater, small 750w inverter, camping mat, screen house, 1 air mattress and 1 small tent. The queen mattress is upgraded and definitely heavier than the factory rv mattress.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
The picture is a bit deceiving because the truck is actually parked on an angle. Its within specs are per husky ts instructions.
Just from my personal experience, the husky instructions misled me to believe I was within spec, when I was not. I would triple check that, and check out some other WDH generic instructions to give you more perspective.

And I do agree, your L brackets look a little too close to the coupler...mine are right at 29" from coupler, and the spring bar stickers sit right on top of the bracket. Your stickers look a little bit behind the brackets
Old 07-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #15

Dry weight is useless and means nothing. Trailer GVWR is a better number to use when calculating weight/capacity needs.

Sounds like you really need to look at reducing what you’re taking and redistributing where you’re loading things in the trailer.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #16

You can add washers and tip the ball back more and probably get under the weight limit for the rear axle, but I think you will still be over the gvwr weight limit.

In fact, looking at your ball in the photo it doesn't seem to have any angle at all. You can also come up 1 hole in the L brackets to get more tension on the bars.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #17

Your trailer axle weight(4080) plus tongue weight(940) gives a total trailer weight of 5020. 940/5020 = 18.7%. That's a large percentage. What is causing all your tongue weight? Can you redistribute some stuff to the rear of the trailer to bring that down? That will help with the weight that is on your truck.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #18

I think I will add 1washer to increase the tilt (currently only using 1 washer) and move some weight towards the trailer axles. There honestly isnt much...maybe 60-80lbs.

I cant increase height of the L brackets as they're pretty high up already. I wish I can borrow heavier wdh bars to see if that helps. Trailers gvwr is 6000lbs and my bars are rated for 400-600lbs.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:27 PM   #19

Bars should be fine since you are currently less than 5000.
I have around 6 washers in mine. If course all setups are different.

EDIT: Not sure why I wrote that. That's way too low for the bars. Of course your tongue weight is way too high. You need to work on your tongue weight. Buy a Sherline scale so you can experiment without bringing it to the scales

Quote:
I think I will add 1washer to increase the tilt (currently only using 1 washer) and move some weight towards the trailer axles. There honestly isnt much...maybe 60-80lbs.

I cant increase height of the L brackets as they're pretty high up already. I wish I can borrow heavier wdh bars to see if that helps. Trailers gvwr is 6000lbs and my bars are rated for 400-600lbs.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:01 AM   #20

Okay, there is another issue. If we go by the math, your tongue weight as someone noted is 940 lbs. You state you have the bars rated for 600 lbs. So, you are overloading your bars. You're better off with the 800 to 1200 lb bars. BUT, that is a separate issue and won't change the weight issues. I have a toy hauler and most often don't have the toy in it. Consequently, I have a heavy tongue weight. To counter that, I store minimal stuff in the forward baggage area and when we load up with drinking water, drinks, canned foods, etc, we put those in the back of the trailer. My trailer to tongue weight percentage is around 14%. Is there any way you can weight your tongue weight, as loaded and with the tongue the same height above ground as it is hooked to the truck? Oh, I have the bars you need but I'm in AZ.
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat