Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

Weight Calculations

Hello,

I mainly want to get an overall weight (GCWR?), an idea of how much cargo I carry in the camper and total truck payload when towing with family.

I just bought a new camper so I was thinking of hitting a Cat scale, weighing the truck empty, weighing the truck with my gear that will be going into the camper, weighing my truck with what/who I normally carry in the truck on a camping trip, then finally coming back to the scale with my camper and truck loaded up for a trip.

I'm assuming with the above numbers I can do the math for a rough camper dry weight, rough tongue weight (at least how much load is on the truck between tongue and WD) as well as an overall ready to camp weight, GCWR.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Gunrock
gunrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

Let this be your guide:

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #3

Thanks-I was trying to avoid undoing weight distribution. I should be able to get the numbers above i was asking about? Then again, I suppose I would get even more information undoing WD and the scale is never busy.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #4

This thread documents my Cat scale trip. It is definitely worth the extra effort.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...in-121166.html
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #5

Hah, catchy title, nice post. Thanks. Now that I got the camper and know how to setup the equalizer hitch, I feel more comfortable and good for me, the scale is never busy.

I'll take four measurements, Truck with gear going into camper, truck empty (no gear just me), truck/camper ready for trip with WDH, then without WDH.

but now that I think about it, should I weight just the truck with camping gear?
Old 06-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #6

Easier than I thought, took the three measurements, trailer, truck WDH engaged, truck by itself (with camping gear packed) then trailer, truck, WDH not engaged.

I can see I need to adjust the WDH, though --front tires are way lighter than the rear (700lbs difference), though it still tows without issue. I wish I would have had the truck packed when I took it to the dealer to save me the hassle of messing with the WDH.

Thanks

Tags
weight