Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Weight Distribution

I have a husky round bar weight distribution hitch with bars rated to 801lbs. I just bought a Wildwood trailer with a tongue weight of 872. Do I need to upgrade to the larger 1000lb hitch or will the 801's be OK?
Hiebs733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

most bars are rated at even numbers...is the 801 you are seeing something else? A model number perhaps?

If they are 800 pound bars and your tongue weight is truly 872 (if you are using the "book" weight the manufacturer gives you, then I assure it NOT right and all advice is useless and void) then you should be OK.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

I guess the numbers rubbed off a bit from use. They are 800lb bars. Thanks for the tip!
Hiebs733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

Husky lists a different part number for the assembly according to tongue and trailer weight for the round bar WD system.
See this:
http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/...-A_HITCH_3.pdf

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiebs733 View Post
I have a husky round bar weight distribution hitch with bars rated to 801lbs. I just bought a Wildwood trailer with a tongue weight of 872. Do I need to upgrade to the larger 1000lb hitch or will the 801's be OK?
If the Wildwood tongue weight of 872 is the "dry" weight listed in the brochure than you will need to up-size those bars.

How much does the trailer weigh loaded? You probably have not weighed it, yet, but thought I'd ask. Assuming its not been to the scales, you can take the weight of the trailer off the yellow sticker, add in the total for your approximate cargo, some water, propane, and batteries and multiply that estimated "loaded" weight by 13%. That will be a closer approximation than using any of the dry weights.

So, fox example, the current Wildwood 29BHBS has a dry tongue weight of 875lbs and a dry trailer weight of 7,695. Adding 1,000lbs of cargo, some water, propane, and batteries would give you a loaded weight of 8,695. A 13% TW would equal 1,130lbs.

You must do this yourself. That's is just an example of course but shows you how dry weights are misleading.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Monterra
Question Installation Instructions?

I've just purchased this model (800 lb round bar) of Husky WDH which incorporates sway control. The WDH is used and does not come with any instructions. I'm able to figure out the basic installation process from watching Youtube postings but I do not know how and when to modify the tilt of the head, what the proper location is for the sway control plate or drill hole size req'd for mounting the sway control plate.

Can anyone steer me in the proper direction? The Husky web site does not appear to have any link to the installation manual.
Monterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
I've just purchased this model (800 lb round bar) of Husky WDH which incorporates sway control. The WDH is used and does not come with any instructions. I'm able to figure out the basic installation process from watching Youtube postings but I do not know how and when to modify the tilt of the head, what the proper location is for the sway control plate or drill hole size req'd for mounting the sway control plate.

Can anyone steer me in the proper direction? The Husky web site does not appear to have any link to the installation manual.
Yes, I can only locate the Centerline hitch instructions.
Send an e-mail to
techinfo@huskytow.com
and see if they can provide help for your WDH.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote