Old 07-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #1

Weight distribution hitch

Just bought a 2020 coachman catalina 261BH from authorized dealer. Spent $950 on a weight distribution hitch/ sway bar, which was highly recommended and I'm glad I got it. Been out once at a pull through but going out again next week and will be backing in. I've had a 19 foot boat for 20 years but TT is just not the same. Little nervous about backing in so any hints/recommendations would be appreciated. Practiced a little and will do more but know its not the same as the real deal. My questions are: is it normal for it to produce so much noise with the WD hitch? And 2, am I ok backing up/in with WD in place? I've read yes and no so just want some clarification.
Thanks again.
Newbie in TX
TX First Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #2

Yes they are noisy. Yes you can backup.
The Add on friction sway bars Should be disconnected when backing
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #3

Congratulations and Welcome from New Jersey, Backing the camper I found is easier then the boat, Slow and small corrections .As for the WDH mine can stay connected, I have the blue ox ,What do you have ?
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trksr View Post
Yes they are noisy. Yes you can backup.
The Add on friction sway bars Should be disconnected when backing
If the OP paid $950 for a WDH with friction sway bar I'd say the dealer made a nice profit on that sale I would hope it has built in sway control for $950 like the Equalizer, Husky Centerline, Blue Ox are probably the most popular.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
If the OP paid $950 for a WDH with friction sway bar I'd say the dealer made a nice profit on that sale I would hope it has built in sway control for $950 like the Equalizer, Husky Centerline, Blue Ox are probably the most popular.
Yea, i didn't want rain on the OP's parade but unless it's a ProPride or Hensley, $950 is way too much for any other WDH. Even the 4pt Equal-i-zer, Centerline or Blue Ox.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:41 AM   #6
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yea, i didn't want rain on the OP's parade but unless it's a ProPride or Hensley, $950 is way too much for any other WDH. Even the 4pt Equal-i-zer, Centerline or Blue Ox.

Yep, but no biggie itís only money. Win some, lose some. Youíll get it back, cheers!

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX First Timer View Post
I've had a 19 foot boat for 20 years but TT is just not the same. Little nervous about backing in so any hints/recommendations would be appreciated.
I can't comment on what to disconnect prior to backing into a spot because I only have weight distribution and not sway control. My weight distribution can stay connected, and yes it does make noise.

Do you have a spotter when backing in such as a DW? Either a spotter or backup camera is extremely helpful. We have hand held radios, and my DW's only function is to tell me to stop before I hit something. No other directions. I would also use the backup camera the same way - just as a safety to not hit anything rather than as a "guide". Then I watch the wheels of the trailer and pretty much nothing else (well, except for the front of the tow vehicle too, to make sure I don't run over anything.) Then I just put the wheels of the trailer where I want them to go. The DW will then tell me to stop when she thinks the rear of the trailer is where it is supposed to be at the end of the site.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I can't comment on what to disconnect prior to backing into a spot because I only have weight distribution and not sway control. My weight distribution can stay connected, and yes it does make noise.
sounds like you have a WDH with Integrated Sway Control, like the 4pt Equal-i-zer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 07-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #9

Have had the same 4-point Equalizer on three different campers. Have never unhooked it to back into sites. And, yes, it can make a lot of noise, but works great. What you hear is friction, which is your friend.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
sounds like you have a WDH with Integrated Sway Control, like the 4pt Equal-i-zer.
Nope. El-Cheapo weight distribution from Harbor Freight.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #11

Ok thanks for the info. It is the Equalizer WD hitch with sway bars. So that said, other than probably overpaying for it, you all think its ok to back up with it correct? Nobody ever told me otherwise but I've read some and want to make sure. Thanks again for all the info.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #12

I also have the 4pt equalizer. Yes it's ok to back-up with it. Only time I take the bars off when moving is leaving my daughter's driveway. It's steeply pitched down while the road is level. I don't want to put that much pressure on the components with the truck level and the trailer still tail high.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #13
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info. It is the Equalizer WD hitch with sway bars. So that said, other than probably overpaying for it, you all think its ok to back up with it correct? Nobody ever told me otherwise but I've read some and want to make sure. Thanks again for all the info.

As long as the brackets on the trailer frame have been set the proper distance for the bars, you can back all you want and turn any angle the trailer can handle without a jackknife situation with the EQ brand.
ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē - Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
The true 4 point Equal-i-zer has weight bars that help with sway.
Sway bars are usually add-on friction bars. They are separate from the weight bars.
You keep saying "sway bars" in your posts. The 4pt Equal-i-zer calls them weight bars, not sway bars.
So by your description, I'm not sure what you have. Many use the term "equalizer" for any type of WDH.
If it is the true 4pt Equal-i-zer, you don't need to disconnect anything. If it's not, can't say.
Equalizer WDH
Old 07-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #15

Yes it's the true 4 pt equalizer with weight bars. My apologies for calling them sway bars. Still learning the lingo and proper terminology.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #16

We should probably call them spring arms.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/replacement-parts
Old 07-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #17

The Equalizer does need to be lubed, but ONLY in the hitch head where the instructions say. It quietened mine a lot.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #18
Site Team

A set of Bracket Jackets in the L-bracket will also help reduce noise.
Equalizer WDH

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch