Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2021, 08:39 PM   #1

Weight distribution hitch and trailer coupler height questions.

Hello everyone,

I posted this in the no boundaries for them only to realize it's really a towing and hitch question re-posting it here.

I just placed a deposit for a no boundaries 19.8 and I'm expecting delivery in about three weeks. This is my first run at travel trailers and the RV industry as a whole, my wife, kids and I recently rented a unit and I couldn't be more excited about getting into it.

I'll be towing the 3800 pound trailer with a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser.

I want to go with the equalizer 4-point sway control for 600 tongue weight and 6000 gross weight. My questions are,

the E4 is a system for 26ft plus trailer and the 19.8 is 23ft, not a big deal but i thought i'd ask if anyone has used the E4 and how they like it?

also, can someone tell me what the height of the coupler is off the ground with the trailer being level?

I'd like to order this weight distribution hitch but need to make sure of the height.
Thanks in advance.

Edwin
offgrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgrid1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I posted this in the no boundaries for them only to realize it's really a towing and hitch question re-posting it here.

I just placed a deposit for a no boundaries 19.8 and I'm expecting delivery in about three weeks. This is my first run at travel trailers and the RV industry as a whole, my wife, kids and I recently rented a unit and I couldn't be more excited about getting into it.

I'll be towing the 3800 pound trailer with a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser.

I want to go with the equalizer 4-point sway control for 600 tongue weight and 6000 gross weight. My questions are,

the E4 is a system for 26ft plus trailer and the 19.8 is 23ft, not a big deal but i thought i'd ask if anyone has used the E4 and how they like it?

also, can someone tell me what the height of the coupler is off the ground with the trailer being level?

I'd like to order this weight distribution hitch but need to make sure of the height.
Thanks in advance.

Edwin
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I have an Equalizer 4-point weight distribution and anti sway hitch. I love it. When buying yours make sure you buy the weight for your rv totally maxed out with cargo. For instance, if the RV has a dry weight of 6000 pounds and cargo carrying capacity of 1500 pounds, then you need the hitch rated for 7500lb or more.

Edit: just reread your post. Looks like you have the gross rv weight already figured out.

Sorry I don't know the tongue height of your new trailer. Keep in mind that will change too when measured with the trailer empty and then loaded to go on a trip. I had our first TT level when hitched. Then loaded it to hit the road... then saw that the heavier tongue weight made it travel nose down. Had to adjust the ball one hole higher to get back to level.

Believe it or not, my local RV dealer sold the hitch and draw bar for less than eTrailer.com. Hard to believe, but true.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #3

Thanks for your response. I did check the gross trailer weight and The hitch is 1k over the 5k trailer weight. Good to hear you’ve had good luck with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I have an Equalizer 4-point weight distribution and anti sway hitch. I love it. When buying yours make sure you buy the weight for your rv totally maxed out with cargo. For instance, if the RV has a dry weight of 6000 pounds and cargo carrying capacity of 1500 pounds, then you need the hitch rated for 7500lb or more.

Edit: just reread your post. Looks like you have the gross rv weight already figured out.

Sorry I don't know the tongue height of your new trailer. Keep in mind that will change too when measured with the trailer empty and then loaded to go on a trip. I had our first TT level when hitched. Then loaded it to hit the road... then saw that the heavier tongue weight made it travel nose down. Had to adjust the ball one hole higher to get back to level.

Believe it or not, my local RV dealer sold the hitch and draw bar for less than eTrailer.com. Hard to believe, but true.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I did check the gross trailer weight and The hitch is 1k over the 5k trailer weight. Good to hear you’ve had good luck with it!
You're welcome. I was thinking. If you haven't bought it already, maybe this is worth double checking. The spring bar arm rest you bolt on the trailer tongue goes something like 27-32 inches back from the center of the ball coupler. (you can find the installation manual online at etrailer) Since you mentioned your trailer is a little shorter in length than what you said the hitch was for, maybe you could look and measure the tongue on a similar trailer at the RV dealership. I think most all the trailer tongues are the same size. But maybe it's worth looking at.

The equalizer is a little noisy and creaky sounding at low speed but it's rock solid while towing. And it's nice being able to backup the trailer without removing it like some other hitches.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:42 PM   #5

I I looked into it already. I actually ended up renting the almost identical Trailer to see if we liked it as a family and it had a weight distribution hitch with 2-2 1/2 foot long bars so I know it fits...

Quote:
You're welcome. I was thinking. If you haven't bought it already, maybe this is worth double checking. The spring bar arm rest you bolt on the trailer tongue goes something like 27-32 inches back from the center of the ball coupler. (you can find the installation manual online at etrailer) Since you mentioned your trailer is a little shorter in length than what you said the hitch was for, maybe you could look and measure the tongue on a similar trailer at the RV dealership. I think most all the trailer tongues are the same size. But maybe it's worth looking at.

The equalizer is a little noisy and creaky sounding at low speed but it's rock solid while towing. And it's nice being able to backup the trailer without removing it like some other hitches.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:32 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

Get a pair of Equal-i-zer Bracket Jackets to quiet the noise down.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #7

I’ve been very happy with my Equalizer hitch. Its the only one I’ve ever used so I don’t have anything to compare it to but it’s been really good for me. Good luck with your new trailer, this is a great place to get help and info!
camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
I I looked into it already. I actually ended up renting the almost identical Trailer to see if we liked it as a family and it had a weight distribution hitch with 2-2 1/2 foot long bars so I know it fits...
That was a smart move. Congrats on your new rv. I think you'll have a great camping with it.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Get a pair of Equal-i-zer Bracket Jackets to quiet the noise down.
I looked into those, I will definitely get them. Thanks
Old 03-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
That was a smart move. Congrats on your new rv. I think you'll have a great camping with it.
Thanks, we are so excited to have a mobile cabin which we can take to scenic locations and enjoy some quality family time!!!
Old 03-31-2021, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
I’ve been very happy with my Equalizer hitch. Its the only one I’ve ever used so I don’t have anything to compare it to but it’s been really good for me. Good luck with your new trailer, this is a great place to get help and info!
These forums are priceless. Both for accessories and opinions on products as well as when you start dealing with issues with the trailers...I could see myself on this form quite a bit accessorizing or solving issues.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:
I looked into those, I will definitely get them. Thanks
Just a note regarding the jacket/pads. They will quite it down but it does come at the expense of reducing the Friction that provides the Anti-Sway. The noise is only at low speed maneuvers, but the loss of Friction is all the time, meaning at highway speeds. I'm not saying it will reduce the Friction too much. Only you can decide from experience towing your own trailer with and without them. Just be aware of it, experiment, and then decide for yourself.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:21 PM   #13

Thanks, I may just try it without the jackets and see how it goes.

Quote:
Just a note regarding the jacket/pads. They will quite it down but it does come at the expense of reducing the Friction that provides the Anti-Sway. The noise is only at low speed maneuvers, but the loss of Friction is all the time, meaning at highway speeds. I'm not saying it will reduce the Friction too much. Only you can decide from experience towing your own trailer with and without them. Just be aware of it, experiment, and then decide for yourself.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #14

I’m surprised no one mentioned from your original post but weight distributing hitches are sized only by weight not trailer length.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #15

If questioning what size arms to purchase consider going one size heavier. My arms are left over from a much heavier trailer and the TT tows great.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
If questioning what size arms to purchase consider going one size heavier. My arms are left over from a much heavier trailer and the TT tows great.
I spoke to the manufacture of the e4 Which I am planning to purchase. Apparently you can get much heavier package for a lighter trailer it’s just the adjustments become course and the one time adjustment becomes more time consuming. I’m planning to go with a 10,000 pound unit for my 3800 pound trailer with a 380 pound tongue weight, I’m doing so in case I ever decide to upgrade on trailers which I plan to in the future, I won’t have to get a new weight distribution hitch.

Tags
coupler, hitch, questions, trailer, weight, weight distribution hitch