Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Weight Distribution Hitch for Rockwood Roo M23 Hybrid

I have a 2001 Rockwood Roo M23 Hybrid and have been locking for a weight distribution hitch. The first few times we took it camping were within about 30 miles of our house, so I felt comfortable towing it with my 2014 Silverado 1500 without a weight distribution hitch. Our next trip will be a few hundred miles each way, so I would really like to get a weight distribution hitch to make towing more comfortable. The label says it weighs 3257 (I think the real weight is several hundred pounds more) and I can't find any documentation about what the hitch weight is, but I'm guessing around 500 pounds +/-, based on data I've found on other Roo models.

With all our stuff in the camper and our bikes, etc in the truck bed, I'm thinking I should really get a hitch with a 800 or 1,000 # hitch rating. Does that sound right or can you get torsion bars that are "too stiff" or too tightly sprung for your setup?

Also, my trailer takes a 2" ball, but the 800 or 1000# weight distribution hitches seem to come with a 2 5/16" ball already installed. Is there any problem with removing the 2 5/16" ball that comes on the hitch and replacing it with my 2" ball or will that affect the weight rating of the hitch in any way?

Thanks in advance.
SRQRockwoodRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #2
Site Team

What does the white factory weight sticker say is the trailer's UVW?
Pretty sure it's more than 3257lbs.
That sounds like the brochure fictional dry weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #3

The factory sticker inside the cabinet says 3257, which I would bet is way under the actual weight. I would bet that is the "base" weight, without propane, awning, water heater, A/C, microwave, etc. I think a more realistic weight is probably around 3700# or so before adding our personal stuff. I would like to find a scale nearby where I can actually weigh it sometime.
SRQRockwoodRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

You can weight it at Home with a Bathroom scale! Run a Search on it at Top. Easy to set up and do! I would also add Sway Control to your Tow Package! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

After having a few WD hitches I bought an Equalizer (tm) 1000/10,000 with sway control to tow my TT. Bought in September and best hitch ever. Only used it twice as a 5er was purchased a few months later. So, now it sits in my garage,,,,,,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

You can't go wrong Buying an Equalizer weight distribution hitch. When I was in the RV delivery business I hauled everything from 24' to 34' travel trailers in all kind of cross, tail, quartering, and head winds and never felt a sway. I bought the 10,000 pound model and used it for all sized trailers.
It was e z to install. The cost was a bit higher than some and less than some. Check Tweety's and don't forget to make sure you get the right sized ball with it. They do use a short shanked ball.
Travel safe!
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop11 View Post
You can't go wrong Buying an Equalizer weight distribution hitch. When I was in the RV delivery business I hauled everything from 24' to 34' travel trailers in all kind of cross, tail, quartering, and head winds and never felt a sway. I bought the 10,000 pound model and used it for all sized trailers.
It was e z to install. The cost was a bit higher than some and less than some. Check Tweety's and don't forget to make sure you get the right sized ball with it. They do use a short shanked ball.
Travel safe!
Anyone near the NC/SC border want to make an offer on one, send a PM.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQRockwoodRoo View Post
I have a 2001 Rockwood Roo M23 Hybrid and have been locking for a weight distribution hitch. The first few times we took it camping were within about 30 miles of our house, so I felt comfortable towing it with my 2014 Silverado 1500 without a weight distribution hitch. Our next trip will be a few hundred miles each way, so I would really like to get a weight distribution hitch to make towing more comfortable. The label says it weighs 3257 (I think the real weight is several hundred pounds more) and I can't find any documentation about what the hitch weight is, but I'm guessing around 500 pounds +/-, based on data I've found on other Roo models.

With all our stuff in the camper and our bikes, etc in the truck bed, I'm thinking I should really get a hitch with a 800 or 1,000 # hitch rating. Does that sound right or can you get torsion bars that are "too stiff" or too tightly sprung for your setup?

Also, my trailer takes a 2" ball, but the 800 or 1000# weight distribution hitches seem to come with a 2 5/16" ball already installed. Is there any problem with removing the 2 5/16" ball that comes on the hitch and replacing it with my 2" ball or will that affect the weight rating of the hitch in any way?

Thanks in advance.
For your set up I would recommend looking into the Andersen WDH. Hitch is light and I believe would work good for you. Look them up and give them a call. Also Andersen does make one with a 2" ball. Can't hurt call them.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think you can use a 2" ball. The shank might be smaller and you might need to install a shim. Do not get tension bars that are grossly larger than your actual tongue weight. The setup gets way too stiff. If your tongue weight is 400 to 500 pounds, 600 lb bars are plenty.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
Ambassador

OK 1st don't get an Anderson. If you ever get anything bigger you will be on the hook buying a new WDH. Stick with the equalizer, you won't ever be sorry you bought it. 2nd, 3247 is your dry weight. That's the weight as it rolled off the assembly line, it doesn't mean it's your loaded weight. On that same sticker it should also tell you the cargo capacity. If you think you're close I would go to a truck stop with it fully loaded and get all axles weighed. just to make sure you aren't going over on your weighted axle weight. Since the cargo capacity on your Tow vehicle is pretty high and this is a small TT I think we can for go the discussion about payload. 400 lbs shouldn't stress that truck to much. 3rd, get a load plan that works and stick with it. Have fun!

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, hybrid, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo, weight