Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #1

Weight distribution hitch setup

Hi all, I have a Rockwood 2703WS I purchased last fall. The weight distribution hitch was set up by my dealer for my Dodge Durango, I just purchased a GMC Sierra and due to the distance I am from my dealer was wondering if it sounds crazy to ask them to set up my truck with either one of their campers there that is the same model or because they know the trailer specs, ball height etc. to measure and adjust my truck accordingly, I don't want to tow my trailer that many miles incorrectly and would feel more comfortable if they set it up. Any advise would be appreciated.
NOREASTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

The weight distribution hitch needs to be setup on the trailer with it loaded for a typical camping trip and the truck also load if you carrie stuff in the box. What WDH do you have. There are lots of people on this forum that with the instructions could walk you through it.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #3

I will be facing the same situation when my new vehicle arrives. There are great resources for doing it yourself for equalizer, but the bolts need to be torqued correctly. I don't have a torque wrench big enough for the hitch bolts, but a 3/4 inch drive torque wrench is $79 from harbor freight tools. I would like to find a trailer tongue weight scale as well, and set it up myself taking plenty of time to determine it is just right and check across the local CAT scales. Besides enjoying the work myself, I will still own the tools, know it is correct when I am done and save a 200 mile round trip to my trailer dealership.

Otherwise, I would have them do the set-up with my own trailer, as the options and the way I pack for a trip may be substantially different from the empty trailer on the lot.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

It's a fastway e2
Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

I would try it on the Sierra and see how far out you are, you maybe able to just adjust the L brackets on the trailer to get it set up properly. The instructions for the E2 (I have one ) are very straight forward on how to set it up.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #6

E2 is the little brother to the 4pt Equal-i-zer. I would think you can find the manual (if you don't have it) and do this yourself. I ordered mine online, and set it up, no problem. If you don't have the torque wrench, buy it at Harbor Freight. Great tool to have.

Driving your truck to a dealer without the trailer will get you nothing. As was said, you need to take measurements (ground to front and rear wheel well) to set the proper weight distribution. And you need to have the trailer to be sure the brackets are set the right height on the frame.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I would try it on the Sierra and see how far out you are, you maybe able to just adjust the L brackets on the trailer to get it set up properly. The instructions for the E2 (I have one ) are very straight forward on how to set it up.
I think I will try it this weekend, I have the manual and as mentioned it does look straight forward. The Camper dealer said to measure the truck from the ground to the top of the ball and as long as it's between18-21 inches the truck should be fine the way it is, I'm wondering if as mentioned I can just adjust the L Bars? That sounds too easy, The measurement is around 20 inches ground to top if ball as it stands now. Any last minute advise would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

one of the main measurements you want is the front fender. you want to measure the distance from the front fender to the ground unloaded. When you have the trailer on and the WD engaged that distance should be the same if the WD is setup properly.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

Ok thanks, in the manual it states when setting the pitch for the hitch to start with and install 5 washers for SUV vehicles and 6 for pickups, it was set up at the dealer for my SUV and I don't have the additional washers if needed for my pickup so is there a way I can check for correct pitch prior to going through the setup process with the trailer ?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

The hitch ball on the E2 (IIRC) requires 450 ft lbs of torque. I just took mine to the local Uhaul to have that torqued down. They did it for free, but I would have paid a few bucks if needed. The shank bolts are more like 250 ft lbs. Again, IIRC the 1/2 drive Harbor Freight torque wrench only does 150. You would need to move up to a 3/4" drive wrench to get 300 ft lbs.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight