Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 12:13 AM   #1

Weight Distribution w/sway bar Curt MV

After reading 2 hrs

Have a 2018 ram 2500 diesel 4x4, planing to buy a Wolf Pup 18RJB (5,000#)

Have a question

So the trailer is not heavy at all, 5,000# is not the end of the world BUT I believe 1,000% in the weight distribution sway bar.

I am new at RVs, not at towing trailers. Have a 7x12 single axel w/brakes, landscape trailer 7,000# and kendon trailer.
RV is taller and bigger overall

I saw this at etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17062.html

What do you guys think ?

Need help.
vdelgadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Team

I prefer the units with built in sway control instead of the additional sway bar, but that unit should work fine.

You'll just have to be aware that you can't back up the RV with the sway bar attached, so you'll have to stop and disconnect it every time you need to back up.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Dont care for the chains, I had one with the separate add on sway control on a 23 ft wolf pup, didn't like it, does have its cons, I suggest a husky center line that I use know and works great or a equalizer but its twice the money with same 4 pt function, good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdelgadillo View Post
After reading 2 hrs

Have a 2018 ram 2500 diesel 4x4, planing to buy a Wolf Pup 18RJB (5,000#)

Have a question

So the trailer is not heavy at all, 5,000# is not the end of the world BUT I believe 1,000% in the weight distribution sway bar.

I am new at RVs, not at towing trailers. Have a 7x12 single axel w/brakes, landscape trailer 7,000# and kendon trailer.
RV is taller and bigger overall

I saw this at etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17062.html

What do you guys think ?

Need help.
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #4

Thank you so much for your help.

Do you have a part/model number.?

Thank you Again..!!
vdelgadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I prefer the units with built in sway control instead of the additional sway bar, but that unit should work fine.

You'll just have to be aware that you can't back up the RV with the sway bar attached, so you'll have to stop and disconnect it every time you need to back up.
I have never removed my friction style sway control bar when backing.
Why would it need to be removed?
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdelgadillo View Post
Thank you so much for your help.

Do you have a part/model number.?

Thank you Again..!!

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wei...-pm-Husky.aspx

Pick the one that works for your weight.
2022 F450
bcintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
I have never removed my friction style sway control bar when backing.
Why would it need to be removed?
The biggest reason is because there's a warning on the unit not to back up with it on. The mfg. had a reason for putting that on there.

Beyond that, I've seen a couple that were bent while backing and a couple that tore the mounting screws out of the A-frame. I also saw one that sheared off the mounting ball. Keep in mind that you can turn a lot sharper in reverse than you normally do going forward.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #8

I'm similar in trailer weight and my TV is a 2500. I don't know that I even need the WDH for my trailer. However, I kept when I upgraded my 1500 to 2500.

I'm using the E2 Trunnion square bars. I'm not a fan of the chains as the bars hang too low for my liking. E2 is made by Equalizer, but, a 2 point sway versus 4 point with the Equalizer brand.

Based on my set up the E2 works great. I've has no issues with it and easy to use.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #9

WDH

Prefer the Equal-I-zer w/ the anti-sway built in. I have had several different bones over 35 years and this has been the best. W/ your combination, you will hardly know the trailer is back there. Having the sway built-in just makes it more enjoyable. Enjoy new trailer.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Prefer the Equal-I-zer w/ the anti-sway built in. I have had several different bones over 35 years and this has been the best. W/ your combination, you will hardly know the trailer is back there. Having the sway built-in just makes it more enjoyable. Enjoy new trailer.
Me too. I got a free hitch like the OP posted and got rid of it after just a couple uses. I still have the chain type for my boat trailer but don't use the sway control anymore.

I have bent my sway control doing a tight back up before. Probably just as easy to do as going forward but it seems I make tighter turns when i am trying to back into a spot.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Me too. I got a free hitch like the OP posted and got rid of it after just a couple uses. I still have the chain type for my boat trailer but don't use the sway control anymore.

I have bent my sway control doing a tight back up before. Probably just as easy to do as going forward but it seems I make tighter turns when i am trying to back into a spot.
Same here other than having to grease it and use the jackets to keep it quiet. Also need to keep torquing the bolts to keep sway working.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Same here other than having to grease it and use the jackets to keep it quiet. Also need to keep torquing the bolts to keep sway working.
Yep..bought the nylon perch covers as well after one use and hearing how much noise the bars make. I will sacrifice a little less sway control for less noise.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, weight