Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Always Learning

Talking Weight Watchers - I'm getting obsessive

I'm suddenly fascinated by truck weighing, weights and seeing how things add up. I was "lucky" that I got to take 1,500 pounds of yard waste to the dump today. The fun part is that I got to go across the dump's scales.

On my way in, loaded - I weighed 10,020 pounds.

On my way out, without the load in the bed - I weighed 8,500 pounds right on the nose.

First, that's a lot of yard waste. No wonder my back hurts. Baby boy better appreciate the back breaking work we're doing getting ready for his 1st birthday!

Second, now I get to geek out on numbers are bit. This 8,500 pounds consisted of:
  • Me in the driver's seat + no passengers (but I did have car and booster seats in the back seat)
  • The B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck hitch (my the Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch was not installed)
  • A full tank of fuel
  • RetraxPro truck bed cover and other minor truck upgrades (lock actuator, TailGate Assist)
  • Random crap in the truck (umbrellas, couple of books, random baby stuff, etc.)

What's now fun about this is playing the "let's compare this against what's advertised":
  • Advertised dry weight of the truck, 7,872 pounds (from Ram Body Builder Guide)
  • Taking my weight out of play, that means I have 363 pounds of "add-ons and stuff" that are always there (truck weight - advertised dry weight)
  • Yellow/white sticker advertised payload, 4,297 pounds
    • Interestingly and showing how factory options matter: my yellow/white sticker is less than the Ram Body Builder Guide advertised payload capacity of 4,430 pounds (we opted for just about everything - heavy duty alternator, bed liner are the two that come to mind right out of the gate)
  • Available payload capacity with just me and some stuff, 3,800 pounds (GVWR of 12,300 - truck weight of 8,500)
  • Proving that the yellow/white sticker includes a 150 driver -- 3,800 pounds of available payload + 115 pounds of my weight that is over 150 pounds + 363 pounds of "stuff" equals 4,278 which is awfully close to the printed payload of 4,297 pounds

I think what all of this reaffirms is - you never really know what stuff weighs until you get out to a scale and get weighed. Quarry, dump, bulk landscape company, or CAT scales are all possible places to get weighed.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #2

What if you took your 5-er there and weighed it? And then unhitched to weigh separately. Cheap way to get weighed. Hmm, maybe I could sneek into our dump station, but then there is a frightfully tight turn to get in....

Yes, I am suddenly fascinated by this weight thing too. It's almost like a new hobby. Can't let any trailer pass by in the cg ground without eyeing it front to back from a weight perspective.. DW thinks I am an idiot.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
DW thinks I am an idiot.
My wife thinks I am, too - unfortunately, she's usually right!

No chance I'm taking my fiver back through there. The approach isn't bad - just no good loops to get turned back around to get out. Plus, the woman in the window is usually ill-tempered...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...DW thinks I am an idiot.
Maybe a little OCD, but never an idiot.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #5

Ya know all the extra weight is the random baby stuff..................

Know that we have a grandson we know it.......................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

You weight nuts need a job like mine. We have a scale that I drive over every day.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Ya know all the extra weight is the random baby stuff..................

Know that we have a grandson we know it.......................
No kidding! The older one is worse because she gets to pack her own bag. I swear her bag is straight out of Mary Poppins or Harry Potter with the amount of crap that materializes out of those bags! (And you know it doesn't all go in at the end of the day!)
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman1994 View Post
You weight nuts need a job like mine. We have a scale that I drive over every day.
You see, I'm a computer geek AND work from home - heck, I don't even drive every day.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You see, I'm a computer geek AND work from home - heck, I don't even drive every day.

Heck I drive about 2 miles to work so I can drive for a living.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
What if you took your 5-er there and weighed it? And then unhitched to weigh separately. Cheap way to get weighed. Hmm, maybe I could sneek into our dump station, but then there is a frightfully tight turn to get in....

Yes, I am suddenly fascinated by this weight thing too. It's almost like a new hobby. Can't let any trailer pass by in the cg ground without eyeing it front to back from a weight perspective.. DW thinks I am an idiot.
I hear ya! Should have saw the look on my wife's face when we pulled up onto the scales at the local flying J with the trailer in tow! Not really her cup of tea!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
I hear ya! Should have saw the look on my wife's face when we pulled up onto the scales at the local flying J with the trailer in tow! Not really her cup of tea!
Sadly, I can one-up that.. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her we were going to weigh. Then she was mad when I sent her in to pay and get a scale ticket, but didn't tell her it cost money (she left her wallet in the truck!).

She about flipped a lid when I told her I was parking the camper and unhitching to weigh just the truck. She was real pleased to charge the $2 because she thought it was going to be $10 again.

Tags
cat, scales, scaling