Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
I am sorry, I am confused about how you determined the hitch weight.

If I were to go back to the scales with just my tow vehicle and weigh it once, front axle weighs 4000lbs and rear axle weighs 4000lbs. Now I weigh it again only this time I put a cargo basket that is attached to my hitch receiver and put 500lbs of rock in it. Now, wouldn't I simply subtract 1st pass from the 2nd pass to determine how much weight went to each axle?
Isn't this why we weigh with the spring bars and then without the spring boards????
Bilchin - in your example with the cargo basket and 500 lbs of rocks you would probably find less weight on the front axles and more than 500 lbs added to the rear. But in this example you know what the rear axle weight is with nothing in the basket (that's the truck alone weight). Neither of your first two passes across the scale give you that info. You have to weigh the truck alone.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #22
Canadian Member

Yes, you would take the difference between the 2 passes. But you'll note that both passes are without the bars in place i.e. no weight distribution effect. When you put the WDH bars in place it takes some of the tongue weight off the truck and transfers it to the trailer. It also redistributes some tongue weight to the front axle of the TV.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Yes, you would take the difference between the 2 passes. But you'll note that both passes are without the bars in place i.e. no weight distribution effect. When you put the WDH bars in place it takes some of the tongue weight off the truck and transfers it to the trailer. It also redistributes some tongue weight to the front axle of the TV.
Ok, think I got it.......I was confusing the tongue weight with the spring bars on as that being the weight in the rear axle of the TV, instead, the tongue weight with the spring bars on is distributed over both vehicles and when we weigh both with the spring bars it shows where the tongue weight is distributed? Right????
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #24
Canadian Member

I think you've got it now. Doing the 3 passes as you did, you can calculate everything you want to know. Ependydad's website does the same thing as my spreadsheet.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I think you've got it now. Doing the 3 passes as you did, you can calculate everything you want to know. Ependydad's website does the same thing as my spreadsheet.
Thanks, everyone on here YOU ROCK!!!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #26

Spoke to soon.
Once you get the tongue weight, the only way to change it is adding or removing weight off of the trailer. Meaning, adjusting the WDH will only transfer the weight not lighten the tongue weight. Correct?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My site should help you with the math:
Towing Planner - towing capability calculators

Thanks................very nice...........but I'm still right at the top cause of my payload!!!!!

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #28

Bilcin,

You are correct. Tongue weight does not change without physically rearranging cargo in the trailer or removing items forward of the trailer axles, especially near the tongue. You still have that tongue weight on the hitch regardless of how it's distributed. Think of it this way, the hitch is the central collection point for all the tongue weight so it then re-distributes it across the fulcrum. The tongue weight is still on the hitch. You also have to calculate your spring bars and hitch into the equation as well as anything in the bed of the truck behind the drive axle as hitch weight. The sum of this equation is compared to the gross tongue hitch rating, which is 1100 lbs in this case.

This is why many half ton haulers such as myself have to be limited on carrying cargo in the bed of the truck, because of the maximum tongue weight rating. My oem hitch max is 500 lbs without wd or 1050 lbs with wd. My tongue weighs 940 lbs and my hitch components weigh 95. The sum of that equals 1035 lbs. Now add another 15 lbs of gear in the bed behind the drive axle and my hitch weight comes to 1050 lbs. It's at the max even though it gets distributed. I cannot change this number by reconfiguring the hitch or spring bar tension.

Hope this explanation helps explain the concept of hitch weight and tongue weight. The very best measurement of calculating tongue weight is to use a scale directly on the tongue at the towing height of the coupler, either level or slightly pitch down. Of course on level ground. You can do this in expensively with a bathroom scale measuring 300 lbs with some boards. This has been explained several times in other posts and you can get very reliable readings on various cargo loading in your trailer. Good luck. Another great resource is equalizer website by progress mfg. Free download on how to properly configure a hitch and concepts of terms.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:16 AM   #29

I would think items in the bed would be independant of tongue weight and acceptable as long as gvwr was not exceeded.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #30

as I understand the term "tongue weight" it refers to the maximum amount of weight that can be distributed on the hitch and must include cargo behind the drive axle. Even if you do not exceed the GVWR to GAWR or GCWR you can overload the tongue weight rating of a hitch by exceeding this value; All of the reputable companies that I have read about say this has to be factored in. When considering the load on your hitch.....I wish it were different myself.

Consider this excerpt from etrailer:

"A weight-distribution hitch will have two weight ratings - the gross trailer weight and the tongue weight. In choosing a system, therefore, you must determine the following:

Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) refers to the weight of the fully loaded trailer in its actual towing condition.
GTW is measured by placing the fully loaded trailer on a vehicle scale.
Rating of weight-distribution system must match or exceed your GTW.
Tongue Weight (TW) refers to the tongue weight of your trailer and the weight of the cargo that sits behind the rear axle of your vehicle.
Trailer TW is measured using a tongue weight scale
Typically, about 10 to 15 percent of GTW
Weight of cargo behind the rear axle can be measured using a commercial scale
Weigh vehicle without cargo
Weigh vehicle with cargo loaded
Subtract initial weight from weight of loaded vehicle

Tongue Weight (for weight distribution) = trailer tongue weight + vehicle cargo load behind rear axle

The TW rating is the most important factor in determining which size weight-distribution system you should use. If the bars of the system you choose are rated too high for your setup, they will create a rigid ride, which can result in a bouncing trailer. If, on the other hand, the bars are not rated high enough, the system will be unable to properly distribute the weight, rendering it virtually useless." (Etrailer.com)
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolin View Post
Tongue Weight (TW) refers to the tongue weight of your trailer and the weight of the cargo that sits behind the rear axle of your vehicle.
Trailer TW is measured using a tongue weight scale
Typically, about 10 to 15 percent of GTW
Etrailer has this wrong. Trailer tongue weight, and trailer weight limits printed on the hitch are the capacity for the receiver hitch itself. Anything in the bed of the truck/ suv goes against payload.

Putting a ton of weight behind the truck axle will surely amplify squat and make the setup on the WDH bars different, but it doesn't take away from hitch capacity.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I would think items in the bed would be independant of tongue weight and acceptable as long as gvwr was not exceeded.
I was having some trouble following all the posts

Tongue weight must only be determined with the spring bars removed as it is not changed at all with them in place; only what axles support it. The frame and receiver of the truck and trailer "see" the unsprung tongue weight.

Determine actual camper weight

Sum disconnected truck axles and subtract from connected total rig weight
MUST be less than GVWR of camper

Determine actual tongue weight

Sum unsprung loaded truck axles and subtract sum of disconnected truck axles

Must be less than receiver, hitch, and truck's maximum tongue weight ratings

Weights to compare:

(with spring bars on)
Sum of loaded truck axles less than Pillar Sticker GVWR
Sum of trailer axles less than axle rating x number of axles
Rear truck axle less than GAWR
Front truck axle less than GAWR

Lots more can be determined using your 3 weighings at the scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD Hitch and GVWR.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	74225  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf weigh your RV.pdf (957.3 KB, 36 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
Etrailer has this wrong. Trailer tongue weight, and trailer weight limits printed on the hitch are the capacity for the receiver hitch itself. Anything in the bed of the truck/ suv goes against payload.

Putting a ton of weight behind the truck axle will surely amplify squat and make the setup on the WDH bars different, but it doesn't take away from hitch capacity.
Truck payload is everything in or on the truck (except for a full tank of gas and a 150 pound driver).

While actual tongue load is used to determine hitch load; the distributed tongue load is used when calculating payload. This is because a fraction of the actual tongue load gets shifted to the front and camper axles when the tension is applied to the WD hitch.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Tongue Weight (for weight distribution) = trailer tongue weight + vehicle cargo load behind rear axle
As always the devil is in the details.

What they are saying is "correct" but not germain to the discussion at hand.

When determining the actual amount of load to be distributed by a WD hitch; it is true that everything "aft" of the rear axle will squat the truck. It has nothing to do with tongue load which is weight added to the truck through the receiver.

Weight added aft of the rear axle is just added to payload carried forward of it.

Where the load carried aft (in the bed) could be a factor is if the maximum deflection of the torsion bars needed to level the load overloads the front truck axle or the camper's axles. In this case moving heavy items up against the tailgate (like gas cans!) forward of the rear axle centerline can require less distribution and relieve some of the load on the distributed axles.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
as I understand the term "tongue weight" it refers to the maximum amount of weight that can be distributed on the hitch and must include cargo behind the drive axle...
Tongue wt is the weight on the tongue and has nothing to do with what is in the truck bed either in front of the axle or behind the axle. You measure the tongue wt with the trailer unhooked from the tow vehicle.

What the wdh bars have to contend with DOES include what is behind the axle of the truck as well as all the wdh hitch head components.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #36

Your weights are darn near perfect from a WDH standpoint. I wouldn't change a thing, certainly NOT increasing pressure on your srpingbars. Your front axle weighs 60 lbs more than unloaded. Can't get much closer than that. The goal is to restore the front axle weight without going over. You are over by 60 lbs but I would call that OK.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

I always measured wheel well height before and after hitching and adjusted the bars to get the same measurements hitched as before hitching.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #38
Site Team - Lou

Great way to measure tongue weight without hooking up:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7373285454_7ed086df61_z.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	74231   Click image for larger version

Name:	tonguescale.gif
Views:	125
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	74232  
Old 04-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I always measured wheel well height before and after hitching and adjusted the bars to get the same measurements hitched as before hitching.
OC x2. Measuring is to get the set up right; weighing is where you find out you bought the wrong trailer for your truck, or vice versa.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #40

with todays tongue weights, id be concerned about what could be something north of a 300 lbs one dimensional point load on a bathroom scale. how about a 2x2 in place of a pipe, so nothing moves, and a board to distribute load on the scale. this technique was developed before slides when average weights were closer to 400-500 lbs. unless, of course, the bathroom scale has evolved as well to accomodate the increase in weight...NVM
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scales