Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #1

What Am I Missing?

Having heard many good things about the Reese Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Dual Cam Sway Control, I purchased the system for my new Rockwood 2304. However, to my surprise the installation instructions call for me to drill two holes in each side of the frame in order to mount the sway control frame bracket. Being a novice at these things, I decided to call Dexter Chassis Group who makes the frames for the Rockwood and many Forest River products. The engineer I talked to told me that Dexter does not recommend any product that requires holes be driven in the frame and further that their warranty clearly states that the drilling of holes voids their warranty. What am I missing? The Reese Dual Cam Sway Control system is highly regarded and widely used. Do people just ignore the warranty problem or is there another way to install it? Thanks in advance for your comments.
T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #2

this is a good question... im anxious to hear a response, our dealership is installing ours for us, but im not exactly sure which one they are using.
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
camping

Have you tried contacting Reese on their position?

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

What am I missing?

I talked to an engineer from Cequent Performance Products (the maker of Reese weight distribution products) this morning. He told me that they had never heard of an issue with a frame manufacturer's warranty. Secondly, he told me that there are only two ways to install a duel cam sway control bracket and that is to drill the holes and bolt or weld.

If everything I have been told is accurate and I believe that it is, it appears that Dexter Chassis Group could potentially void their warranty if a problem came up but since none has, the issue seems to be moot. If someone wanted to be super cautious, they could weld the brackets rather than bolt them.
T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote