Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #41

Crazy mama update: my anxiety over being so close to the pilot’s towing limits got the better of me.

Traded it in today for a 2017 Tahoe, 5.3L V8, with 3.42 rear axle & integrated brake controller. Max towing 8000#

Woot woot!

Now to figure out how to re-level my hitch haha.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibelRanch View Post
Crazy mama update: my anxiety over being so close to the pilot’s towing limits got the better of me.

Traded it in today for a 2017 Tahoe, 5.3L V8, with 3.42 rear axle & integrated brake controller. Max towing 8000#

Woot woot!

Great! Now you can tow that trailer easily. Please come back with a review, after you've had a few tows under your belt.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #43

Quote:

Woot woot!

Wow good choice. The Tahoe’s are great vehicles. The pilot is as well but you’ll be happier towing now.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #44

Quote:

Woot woot!

Congrats! Great Choice!!
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #45

I hope you are happy with the Tahoe. I will say, if you listen to people on this forum, you will come away convinced that you need a diesel dually to tow a trailer with a 50 lb kayak. I'm sure you were fine with the Pilot but certainly can tow more with the Tahoe. Happy camping.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #46

Watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
I hope you are happy with the Tahoe. I will say, if you listen to people on this forum, you will come away convinced that you need a diesel dually to tow a trailer with a 50 lb kayak. I'm sure you were fine with the Pilot but certainly can tow more with the Tahoe. Happy camping.
Hold my beer! Watch this!
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #47

Quote:
lol, can second that.

good choice on the tahoe, they are nice trucks; we went with a v10 F250 super duty for the farm and haven't looked back since (and we had everything from toyota to chevy and then back to fords so tried most of them)

that being said i will absolutely echo what Tacky and a few others have said, look at the data and i don't mean the marketed BS from the manufacturer.

not ever having a honda before i can't speak to them specifically but on fords and subarus those limits are 100% artificially lowered by around half if not more.

on my crosstrek for instance is "rated" for 1500 lbs in the USA, meanwhile in europe the same vehicle is rated for ~3500lbs.

as far as the power train, it mechanically can consistently handle (safely) right around 4000lbs and not have any real issues other than my top end acceleration taking a dive down the toilet but i'm towing thats to be expected, no issue getting up to highway speeds or even 80-90 when i need to so not overloaded by any means on that front and thats with a loaded rockwood 232esp with a 650cc utility atv on the front rack and the fresh water tank at 3/4.
the only caveat is i did have to pop on overload coil springs on the rear struts but the oem springs were very soft to begin with and i don't think broke a 130lbs/in spring rate; sitting on the rear would drop it a little more than an inch and i'm about 6'4" and ~330lbs.

so check what your vehicles mechanical limits are and use that to adjust what to do or expect of the so called "ratings"

for comparison:

the f250 is "rated" for 17klbs with a fifth wheel or gooseneck, its actual mechanical limits we have yet to even find but it does not bat an eye at pulling a 30-40ft stock trailer loaded with horses on the way to shows and coming in at just south of 20klbs up and down everywhere from maine, to NH, SC, NC, VA, PA and everywhere in between.
never had any issue and its a 2006 with almost 150k miles on it now (work only truck, that v10 is a gas guzzler 9-15mpg regardless if your towing 20klbs or running to home depot for lumber)
only thing we replaced so far that isnt a regular maint. item is the rubber bushing around the middle of the drive shaft and that was in the last 6 months and it was the factory bushing.
Mechcondrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #48

Quote:
X2!!! the most truthful words on the forum
Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #49

Quote:

Woot woot!

You know, if the Tahoe gives you more confidence while towing, that in itself is of great value. A nerve racking tow takes almost all the fun out of RV’ing. You’ll still feel the Wolf Pup back there, mainly due to the sail area. I’d suggest a hitch that both distributes load and prevents sway. I know with my single axle E15TB, I can adjust the tension on the spring bars of my Equal-I-Zer to the point that there is little or no pitching. And, the rig has the feel of single unit – not separate competing components. When 18 wheelers pass you or you encounter high winds, it will still push and pull your rig. That is normal. The important thing here is that you will have the confidence that you’re still in control.
viasolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 PM   #50
Retired Old Fart

Here is a link to the manual for the model Hitch you said you have. It has directions on the setup:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...f?v=1597176167

There are a lot of YouTube video's on how to set one up and most are basically the same. Here is a link to many of them from a Youtube search:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ribution+hitch
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #51
Retired Army MSG!

I wouldn't pull a utility trailer with a Honda. I am sick of all the stupid towing questions. You folks have a lot to learn.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:01 AM   #52

Back to the original question: my warning sign of improper towing was when the concrete mixer I was towing passed me. [emoji35]
Former owner of 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:35 AM   #53

Quote:
Thanks. We live in southern NH and just plan on a bunch of local weekend trips this year. Mostly flat (cape cod) but a few hills (Acadia). It sounds like if I load up my trailer to Max, I’d be close to 90% of my tow limit, which I understand isn’t ideal!

The scales are really going to be the deciding factor I guess. I really don’t want to have to buy a new car. But I guess I will if this doesn’t work.
I am in MA, and my family (an experienced truck driver and a "newbie" teen driver) has taken the hands on state certified "In Control Crash Prevention Course". It was amazing. I used to teach tractor trailer driving in the military, and I learned a lot. They are planning on offering a trailer driving course, and I hope it's soon - I want to learn the latest on things like controlling sway/dealing with wind, and all the rest that goes with pulling a trailer. Like you, I have a "lightweight trailer" (Salem FSX bunk) and am pulling with an SUV (Telluride) that I bought after having a Pilot for 10 years.
If you are interested in this trailer course that will provide hands on experience (with their trailers - they are still deciding whether to let owners use their own), you could take this survey to show your interest and get on their mailing list to be notified when they start offering the course. Maybe we will both be in the first class together! (They give discounts to family members who sign up together). They are located in Weymouth but have given the course in locations such as Westfield, MA and Portsmouth, NH airports.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2SNC5...ource=hs_email
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:22 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Here is a link to the manual for the model Hitch you said you have. It has directions on the setup:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...f?v=1597176167

There are a lot of YouTube video's on how to set one up and most are basically the same. Here is a link to many of them from a Youtube search:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ribution+hitch
Thank you!!! This is very helpful!!!
Old 04-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
I wouldn't pull a utility trailer with a Honda. I am sick of all the stupid towing questions. You folks have a lot to learn.
Here is a perfect example why I view asking questions on a forum the same as asking questions at my local bar. In this case the guy that's been drinking all night offered his opinion.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Here is a perfect example why I view asking questions on a forum the same as asking questions at my local bar. In this case the guy that's been drinking all night offered his opinion.
Real positive post. I’m glad you like to help.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #57

Quote:
Thank you!!! This is very helpful!!!
I found this string to be the most helpful and credible of any I have seen. I have saved all the good information and will put it into a 3-ring binder that I have, so it will be at my finger tips as a guide/reminder and checklist. Thank you to all those who provided so much great information! I appreciate those who follow the rules, esp. safety rules who are willing to share their knowledge.
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #58

First and foremost:
Any time you're pushing the limits of a TV, keep your speed down. Your tire and bearing temperatures are related to the square of your speed, so the difference between 55MPH and 70MPH is almost double.

Secondly, Truckers sometimes use a baton (aka a billy club) to thump their tires. In absence of a TPMS, the sound tells you a lot about tire inflation.

Third, Keep most of your weight in your trailer over the axles if you can. Not only is that the strongest part of the chassis, but it reduces trailer sway.

And lastly, when backing up, put your hands on the bottom of your steering wheel. By doing this, you don't have to think backwards.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:23 AM   #59

The old idiom, "seat of the pants feel" will tell you a lot about whether you are towing correctly or not.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #60
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
The old idiom, "seat of the pants feel" will tell you a lot about whether you are towing correctly or not.
It will to someone with some experience.

The OP admitted they have NO experience.
They may feel something in the seat of their pants and never give it a second thought... and vice versa... they might think with every little rumble, the wheels are going to fall off.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing