Old 05-07-2019, 05:04 AM   #1

What cars can be towed?

I have seen posts with a list of cars/SUV's that can be towed, both current year models and past year. Have tried searching for this but no luck. Does anyone now of this list or where can I find out what vehicles can be safely towed?
bdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #2

Here is the link to the annual list.

They check with manufacturers but you still need to verify what you get is permitted to be towed so you donít void warranty etc.

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Toad
2015 Harley CVO (retirement bike )
2015 Challenger ( Wife's Toy)
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunc View Post
I have seen posts with a list of cars/SUV's that can be towed, both current year models and past year. Have tried searching for this but no luck. Does anyone now of this list or where can I find out what vehicles can be safely towed?
Remco has a searchable database

Here
Old 05-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #4

Thanks. Motorhome.com was the one I was thinking about. Remco looks interesting also. Will check it out too.
bdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #5

Make sure you check the manufacturer as well to make sure recreational towing is approved.

Was looking at new mini coopers last year and everything is made for towing but not approved so would have voided the warranty.

Got a 2018 Hyundai Elantra sport six speed. Tows great and gets 35 mpg as well. Plus the standard is just fun for those of us that grew up driving the muscle cars with the Hurst pistol grip 4 speed.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #6

Dumb question...maybe...

How would the manufacturer know if the car was towed or not? Of, course, unless you stated it was towed, and that there was still a hitch on the front from being towed?
Does the odometer still rack up miles on towed vehicles? I would hope not, but then again, if the ignition switch needs to be on to activate lights / brakes, maybe so on a newer vehicle.

I"m asking because I'm curious, and never looked into this.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

If you can remove EVERYTHING associated with being towed, and that includes any front grill plastic you may have to chop....no one would know.

Almost all flat towed vehicles DO NOT record mileage while being towed because the key is not in the ON position.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Here is the link to the annual list.

They check with manufacturers but you still need to verify what you get is permitted to be towed so you donít void warranty etc.

Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine
Remember to check your ownerís manual that you CAN flat tow. Different engines, different transmissions, different model years.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #9

Yeah, on mine it does not rack miles but I track for tire rotation.

The safety cable hookup, disconnect braking cable, power cable hookup, and receivers for the actual brackets that hook to the tow bar are rather obvious sticking out.

Not saying you canít but since we bought a new car we didnít want to mess up the warranty.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #10

I pull my rear wheel drive car facing backwards with a "Master Tow" dolly . The front spins free and I can even backup with ease as DW can steer it while backing up.
A front wheel drive where the rear wheels spins free should pull facing forward with no side effects.
The warranty issues come when you spin all the rear-end and transmission gears at all times and lubrication may be a problem causing premature wear even when it is in neutral. On a 4WD the issue is even more prevalent.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #11

We have a 2017 Ford Fiesta SE, it can be flat towed, the setup is in the owners manual.
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Remember to check your ownerís manual that you CAN flat tow. Different engines, different transmissions, different model years.
^like he said. Also, I was able to check owners manual online, at the manufacturer website to verify that they were 4 down towable.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #13
jkoenig24

FMCA has, for their members, a guide covering vehicles that can be towed behind a motorhome ("toad") with all four wheels down. NOTE: A year or so ago, GM had numerous vehicles, across their many marques, that were towable "four down" (even with automatic transmissions). A few months lated, "oops we goofed" and certain models which had been listed as suitable for toad use were, in fact, NOT suitable. I would have been livid had I bought one of the affected models. If you're buying from a dealer, I'd insist that wording added to the sales contract, to the effect that you are purchasing said vehicle to be used as a "toad" and, if the manufacturer "changes the rules" after the sale, that the dealer will take said vehicle back (or at least exchange it for a vehicle that truly IS "toad" capable). I expect many dealers would object to such an addition. Best case then would be to walk away.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #14

I was in Cosby TN was throw back when I seen a 2014 Subaru I went over asked him what was up. He told me it was a standard shift it was his second his kid has the 2010 she never had a problem being a toad he told me it's just a ploy so they can't be sued. Makes you wonder now right by the way yes I do believe him it was behind a hi end coach. Make you wounder about AWD now?
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote