Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2023, 06:04 PM   #1
2017 Forester 3051s

What do I need to flat tow?

What do I need to flat tow. I have a 2017 Forest River Forester 3051s on an E450 chassis. I want to flat tow a 2019 Ford Fiesta. What recommendations for Base Plate, tow bar, battery disconnect and wiring. And do I need a braking system for it. I would appreciate your input.
trozfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:23 PM   #2

When I was setting up my Fiesta to tow, I got a lot of help from this publication: https://webcontent.goodsam.com/motor...inghyGuide.pdf
I suggest you start there, and read other threads on this forum that may answer some of your questions.

I installed the BlueOx baseplate as it was the better looking system when the tow bar is not in use. Not a big fan of BlueOx company as I wrote to them about a design flaw/safety concern and they didn’t even reply.

There are many brake systems, but I recall the BrakeBuddy would not fit right in the Fiesta. I went with RViBrake3 but there could be as good or perhaps even better brake choices. Yes, you need an auxiliary brake system.

I built all my own wiring. I used diodes to tap into the car’s lights. I did the whole flat tow install myself; no way would I let someone else hack up the car.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trozfast View Post
What do I need to flat tow. I have a 2017 Forest River Forester 3051s on an E450 chassis. I want to flat tow a 2019 Ford Fiesta. What recommendations for Base Plate, tow bar, battery disconnect and wiring. And do I need a braking system for it. I would appreciate your input.
Behind bars pretty much said it all

I will add you can go to the major flat towing company websites (full disclosure preferential to Blue Ox) add your vehicle and their website will show you all the essential and optional equipment you need PLUS you can download the baseplate and wiring installation instructions and decide if you want to do the installation

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:30 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

My first toad was a used Pontiac G6 V6 already fitted with the Blue Ox tow bar, Brake Buddy Vantage Select and associated wiring for lights. It was a terrific vehicle for towing and as a daily driver. When we got to 250,000 kms, my wife started to worry about dependability. Her, not me. She found a buyer who was a teenager needing their first car for a part time job, and we struck a deal.

After that, we towed a 2017 GMC Terrain. Very popular as a toad along with its twin the Chevy Equinox. Great options for towing too…..4 or 6 cylinder, FWD or AWD in any combination.

A buddy who owed me a favour, installed the baseplate and wiring. All the other parts transferred over easily. Never a problem.

Choose carefully, as everyone has their different brands.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:33 PM   #5
Always Learning

See if this article helps:

https://learntorv.com/flat-towing/
Old 02-09-2023, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
See if this article helps:

https://learntorv.com/flat-towing/
Excellent article.

The annual towing guides were my introduction. Heavily advertised but good information

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:10 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Excellent article.

The annual towing guides were my introduction. Heavily advertised but good information
Thanks for the kind words.

Tags
tow