Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Multi-Slacker

What do I Need to Know about 2018 Ford Diesel?

I know nothing about diesels. Yet I am drawn to the benefits of uphill power and downhill braking. We are contemplating the purchase of an F350 SRW with Powerstroke diesel. I generally know enough about vehicles to avoid buying blinker fluid or muffler bearings. Before I read about DEF on this forum I would have thought it to be another variation on blinker fluid.

Links to useful sites would be appreciated. Any and all commentary related to Ford Powerstrokes is also solicited. At this point, not interested in Cummins or Duramax.

Thanks in advance and a Happy, Prosperous and Safe New Year to all of you.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #2

You may find good information here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/

I've picked up a lot of good info about my F-150 both here and on the F150 forum.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #3

One thing for sure is the 2018 will cost more than the 2017.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:20 AM   #4

What ever you do, stay away from Moss Ford... Raceway in Moreno Valley has always done my buddy right. He buys all his company trucks from them.

Good luck with your choice.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:32 AM   #5
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
What ever you do, stay away from Moss Ford... Raceway in Moreno Valley has always done my buddy right. He buys all his company trucks from them.

Good luck with your choice.
Interestingly, we started our process at Raceway knowing nothing other than we needed a bigger truck. Met up with a fleet sales guy, sheer luck it was, who then promptly educated us enough to do some of our own research. When we are ready to buy, we will start the bidding process there.

Need some surgery 1st and want to see how the initial recovery goes. No need to start making payments before we have to.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #6

What do I Need to Know about 2018 Ford Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Interestingly, we started our process at Raceway knowing nothing other than we needed a bigger truck. Met up with a fleet sales guy, sheer luck it was, who then promptly educated us enough to do some of our own research. When we are ready to buy, we will start the bidding process there.

Need some surgery 1st and want to see how the initial recovery goes. No need to start making payments before we have to.

I’m a GM guy with my work vehicles and I have a Ram 2500 Cummins to pull my 5er. But, if I was to ever get a ford I would definitely deal with Raceway!

Good luck on your surgery and a speedy recovery!
Old 12-29-2017, 01:38 AM   #7
Multi-Slacker

Thanks Chris!
Did you not say you were moving northwards in the spring?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Chris!
Did you not say you were moving northwards in the spring?

Yes sir I am. June 8th. Headed to Spokane Wa.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:16 AM   #9
Multi-Slacker

Well then, if we do not meet before then, the best of luck to you and yours.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #10

I appreciate that!
Old 12-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #11

I have the same truck you are considering and have had 14 months of pure perfection. Traded a 2000 F350 diesel that was also a great truck. You will not be disappointed. The reasons you mentioned in your post to buy are just two of the many that will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. I would not trade my truck for anything else, even though the other two options are both good also.

Buy the F350, you will love it.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #12

Having been in the truck repair business for over 50 years I have never seen a good Ford Diesel since the ones that were built in the Dagenham plant. The International ones and the current Ford ones are a nightmare. I belong to the International Troubleshooter Network and I read it daily, the number one vehicle that has engine trouble is a Ford Diesel. I know there are loyalists and lots of denial out there but they don’t have the experience.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Having been in the truck repair business for over 50 years I have never seen a good Ford Diesel since the ones that were built in the Dagenham plant. The International ones and the current Ford ones are a nightmare. I belong to the International Troubleshooter Network and I read it daily, the number one vehicle that has engine trouble is a Ford Diesel. I know there are loyalists and lots of denial out there but they don’t have the experience.

Out of curiosity, which diesel 1 ton would you buy to tow a 5er?
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #14

Aircommuter is biased- (and probably drives a dodge) LOL--Ford did have some trouble with the old diesels- but the 6.7 powerstroke is the best on the road. a little expensive but worth it- I was in construction most of my life and now work for the city--my experience level is up there as well.
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Please tell us more about this International Troubleshooter Network.

Having worked in the industry in various positions, I've been in and out of more Ford dealerships than most over the last 50 years. I've never heard mention of this network.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #16

Quote:
I know nothing about diesels. Yet I am drawn to the benefits of uphill power and downhill braking. We are contemplating the purchase of an F350 SRW with Powerstroke diesel. I generally know enough about vehicles to avoid buying blinker fluid or muffler bearings. Before I read about DEF on this forum I would have thought it to be another variation on blinker fluid.

Links to useful sites would be appreciated. Any and all commentary related to Ford Powerstrokes is also solicited. At this point, not interested in Cummins or Duramax.

Thanks in advance and a Happy, Prosperous and Safe New Year to all of you.
I've put several hundred thousand miles on Ford products, '49 coupe, 25 years of 250 & 350 460 CID & 7.3 P S service trucks, '55 292 Crown Vic, '57 312 Fairlane, '64 390 Galaxie 500 XL, all good vehicles. Also had several of other brands. But there are still, the old "Ford-Chevy-Mopar" rivalries. Buy what you like, drive it in good health.

Take your time, read the owner's manuals. You'll be surprised at the information it contains. Happy Trails! Happy New Year!
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #17

New Ford truck

We've had our 2016 F-250 diesel for about 1 1/2 years now and love it. The Lariat model has about everything you need.
Guessing the 2018 F-350 is basically the same (the 2016 F-350 is) so can tell you don't worry about the DEF. it's a separate 5 gal. tank that you fill about every 5000 miles with the DEF being purchased at Wal-mart for about $11.
Our 250 pulls a 38' 5er with no problem averaging between 12-13 mpg.

Only negative thing I have to say is that when the "exhaust cleaning" light comes on, your fuel mileage drops like a rock. Around town I average about 17-18 but after a "cleaning" it is about 13. Starting to look into aftermarket exhaust systems as Ford says that's how it is.
Mikolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #18

I have a F250 6.7 diesel, 2016 king ranch... absolutely love it. I’m 60 years old and this is the very FIRST Ford product I have ever owned. Love it
golfaholic06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #19

If you on planning to buy the 2018 F350 to tow a 5th wheel there could be some issues to over come. I just bought a 2017 F350 Lariat Supercab 4x4 with the 6.7L powerstroke and I do like it very much, but it does present some challenges when towing a 5th wheel RV. The bed floor and bedsides are higher than the 2016 and even though they have higher towing capacity than the 2016's they made the rear primary suspension softer to give it a softer ride.
These changes make it difficult to tow a 5th wheel level and the softer suspension causes the rear to squat enough that now I need to install an Air bag system to raise the rear end and correct my headlights from pointing two high.
You should read my post titled "Level Towing a 5th Wheel" I thought when I bought this F350 Superduty that I would have to do these kind of things to correct towing issues like I had done for years when I owned 1/2-ton trucks!
Cujo7240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #20

I would buy the Ram, they are more sought after than any other truck, selling prices for used Cummins powered truck have always exceeded Blue Book. Buying and using vehicles is a limited View , when you take them apart and see the difference then you know. The simplicity and brute strength of the Cummins is not matched in the light truck market , the new Fords have way too many moving parts and are destined for problems, forget about 15 months of ownership, would you be happy with that time period for the price you paid.
As Ford the irrelevant info supplied about the gas engine Fords some were good engines some were not, for example, 272,292,312 v8s and 223, 144,170 in-line 6s had very poor oiling systems and Ford c-4, c-6 and several other Ford automatics were the worst or the bunch. Like I said you can be a loyalist as long as you don’t have to work on it.
IATN is troubleshooter website, mechanics around the world post problems that are plaguing them and ask for help from others.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ford