Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Jumped into my recliner in my 2000 Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS towed with a 2019 Ram Hemi 3.92. Grabbing a beer and waiting..............

So far, I am disappointed.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=27...XP0EnjAM0qqCLw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Man-uses-mobility-scooter-to-tow-large-boat-down-road.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	238066  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
I don't understand why you think air bags are so hard to install on a coil spring suspension. I installed then on my 2012 Ram 1500. Took about 1.5 hr including running the air lines.

By the way towed a 6000# with 700# tongue TT all over the country without air bags and didn't have the sagging issue. I did have a WDH not sure why someone wouldn't.

I installed the air bags after we bought a larger tt.
I referenced the Trailer Life tech commentary in the latest issue. They said that it's hard to impossible to install airbags on a 2020 RAM 1500. Perhaps they are wrong.

As for a WDH, when I bought my new rig at the dealer (weights mentioned previously), I had my wallet out to buy a WDH. The sales rep recommended that, since I have airbags, that I tow it home first (about 45 miles largely on interstates and arterials). He was sure I wouldn't need one, and he was right. The tongue weight does not unload the front axle enough to be noticeable (steering/braking), and the roughly 500# I carry in the bed (water, tools, outdoor furniture, propane tanks for my fire pit, and so on), is largely in front of the rear axle, and it helps offset the tongue weight out behind the rear axle.

However, on a FIVER (the OP's original question), where there's no such thing as a WDH, the weight of the rig's pin weight, hitch, and any cargo cannot be countered by anything other than more spring...again assuming the rig falls within the weight parameters the truck can handle.

If there are airbag kits for the 2020 RAM 1500, and if the OP intends to pull a fiver, I'd recommend the bags.

Meanwhile, comments about a WDH are apples in a discussion about oranges.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #23

I pulled a 7400 pound conventional Jayco TT with my 2015 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and economy rear, and had zero problems, either with power (plenty) or with stability. I had the full air bag suspension and it kept everything level. Newer models are rated higher and I can see why, truck did just fine.
daugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #24

Pulled my 2018 Coachmen Apex 300BHS with my 2017 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7.
1354# of payload, as you see it in the photo we were around 200# over on this trip, and I tried everything to lighten us up. Removed the tailgate, removed the running boards, shifted weight in the trailer, etc.

All it did was make for a very unstable ride, and I white knuckled it for 2 1/2 hours. Truck was plenty capable power wise, but I just ran out of payload.

I will say before I knew I was over and had the front compartment loaded up it towed totally fine, but it wasn't legal. We actually blew a mandatory stop on this trip because I had scaled it 5 minutes before hitting it, and knew where we stood. I don't condone or recommend that, I was stuck between cancelling the trip, or playing dumb, lucky neither had to happen.

My recommendation from everything we have gone through is advise this individual to buy something the vehicle is capable of towing or find somewhere to park the trailer and enjoy it. That's the route we've gone for now.

Best of luck!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture_20180901_220037178~2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	238332  
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #25

F150 and 5th wheel

We have a F150 with a pullman slider hitch, because we have a short bed, and pull a flagstaff super light 5th wheel, it's 32ft long, we put air bags on the back of the truck made a big difference to towing, the truck pulls well with no struggle at all.
Happy travelling
Granville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #26

I pull a Cherokee 264DBH with my 2019 Ram 1500 with the 3.92 axle. This is my first summer with the truck, but its so much better then my previous 2005 Ram 1500. Ran out to the Black Hills from Minnesota without any issues or white knuckles like my previous truck.
drewbie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Jumped into my recliner in my 2000 Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS towed with a 2019 Ram Hemi 3.92. Grabbing a beer and waiting..............

Have another beer & thank your lucky stars. Not only you in jeopardy but putting others there too!
koko 3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #28

Without posting all the numbers, I just spent 10,000 miles on the road with my 2017 ram 1500. When I left I knew I was ok because I cat scaled the setup. When you travel as long as I did and your DW is with you stuff gets bought that she has to have. Bottom line my rig towed as good as the day I left maybe even better. Near the end I fiddled with the pressure in my air bags. Anyway point is day before I got home I reweighed the rig. Was 430 over on max weight truck should handle. 200 pounds on what it should tow. Camper was light by 760 pounds. This happens all the time. I was not unsafe. I'll leave it there. What was unsafe lol, dumping black tank I looked behind me was a huge 5iver being towed by a ram 1500 that was highly outfitted. So way less payload than what I have. I asked him what his camper weight was, 15,000 he said. Do you know your pin weight, No his answer. I have ram air adjustable ride. It works good, regularly tow 3-400 miles. Often with my boat behind my camper. Flabbergasted I just walked away. THAT IS UNSAFE LOL!
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:13 PM   #29

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500. It has the coil spring 4 link rear suspension. 5.7 Hemi 9 speed Trans and factory integrated trailer brakes and engine brake in tow/haul mode. I added AirLift air bags inside the coil springs in about 45 minutes in my driveway. At 50 psi they add 900 pounds to the load capacity of the truck. I tow a 2008 wildcat 5th wheel fully loaded with gear and fresh water tank full with no issues. 70 miles an hour on flat ground and 50 to 55 on steep grades are not a problem. I have been towing my race car 5th wheel that grosses out at 8100 pounds with car and equipment for years with Dodge Ram 1500s since 1997 with no problems at all.
70dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70dartman View Post
I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500. It has the coil spring 4 link rear suspension. 5.7 Hemi 9 speed Trans and factory integrated trailer brakes and engine brake in tow/haul mode. I added AirLift air bags inside the coil springs in about 45 minutes in my driveway. At 50 psi they add 900 pounds to the load capacity of the truck. I tow a 2008 wildcat 5th wheel fully loaded with gear and fresh water tank full with no issues. 70 miles an hour on flat ground and 50 to 55 on steep grades are not a problem. I have been towing my race car 5th wheel that grosses out at 8100 pounds with car and equipment for years with Dodge Ram 1500s since 1997 with no problems at all.

Good for you! The air bags add 900 lbs to the load capacity, BUT adding those air bags did nothing to increase the strength of your frame, your diff. & your brakes. After your accident.....try explaining those “air bags” to your insurance adjuster, the hiway patrol, or the lawyer of the persons laying claim to sue your ass off. Live on the edge while young...it won’t last long.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #31

2019 RAM 1500 3.92 towing MiniLite 2512S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	238340  
Dreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
I just read an short piece in Trailer Life on this very subject.
New RAM 1500s have coil spring rear suspensions. As with many years' worth of RAMS before them, they are softly sprung for a cushy ride.
But unlike older RAMs with leaf spring suspensions, adding a ride-leveling system, such as air bags, can be difficult to impossible on coil-spring RAMs.

If you want to level out your truck to counter that max load imparted by the pin weight of even a small fiver, hitch, and cargo, you'll need air bags, Sumo Springs or similar enhancements as a critical enhancement. Otherwise, your gorgeous new truck will be dragging its ass and pointing headlights at the sky. And going through whoop-de-doos will be an exercise in dangerous wallow.

So, setting aside the discussion on the truck's cargo capacity and towing capacity, as a RAM owner, I assure you that you'll be VERY disappointed in how the truck handles near-max weight in the bed if you can't add "more spring." This does NOT increase load or towing capacity, but it DOES level the ride and prevent wallow.

How disappointed? I was towing a 2000# PopUp with mine...7700# tow capacity...and with about 200# on the hitch, the truck wallowed like a pig and the headlights blinded other drivers. It was ludicrous. I upgraded my PUP to a 4000# high-wall with almost 400# on the tongue, so I had the dealer install Firestone airbags. The transformation was miraculous! Now I'm towing 6000# with 600# on the hitch, NO WDH, and my air bags are set at 50 PSI and rear tires at sidewall max of 45 PSI. Everything is rock solid.

Before you look at RVs, investigate how you can bolster the rear suspension on that new truck. Do whatever it takes to install ADJUSTABLE load-leveling suspension enhancement like air bags. Only then consider an RV that will tax the towing and load capacity of the 2020 RAM.

How to set the pressure in the air bags: Find a good measurement point at the rear of the truck. With the truck EMPTY and no pressure in the airbags, measure from the pavement to that point. Now, add your load...hitch, fiver, miscellaneous cargo, and passengers. Add pressure to the bags until you get the same measurement. Don't be surprised to see that the fiver crushes your rear suspension by about 6" or so. It's shocking. But RAMs tend to be that softly sprung.

P.S. This is good advice for all trucks, but RAMs, in particular, are much more prone to this phenomenon than Chevys and Fords.
I’d suggest replacing the coil springs with TufTruck variable rate coil springs. No air leaks to deal with or pressure adjustments. 2017 Ram 1500 std cab long bed here, I hauled two motorcycles about 1100 lbs, plus my Shamrock 233s to Montana from Ohio last year and truck performed great. Yes I was over on payload and 300 lbs over the rear axle rating at 4200 lbs but have had no problems with truck since. These coils held a level ride with about 2100 lbs payload on them.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko 3052 View Post
Good for you! The air bags add 900 lbs to the load capacity, BUT adding those air bags did nothing to increase the strength of your frame, your diff. & your brakes. After your accident.....try explaining those “air bags” to your insurance adjuster, the hiway patrol, or the lawyer of the persons laying claim to sue your ass off. Live on the edge while young...it won’t last long.

Insurance will pay just like when a DWI wrecks. What would the Patrol officer pull him over for no PC. Further more can you list a law broken. Regular people not towing get sued everyday.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Insurance will pay just like when a DWI wrecks. What would the Patrol officer pull him over for no PC. Further more can you list a law broken. Regular people not towing get sued everyday.

Maybe in your neck of the woods the ins. will pay, but here they check manufacturers specs & loads towed/hauled when there's an accident. I would rather pay another 20G’s to upgrade to a “good” towing truck than give it to some damn lawyer or gov’t fines. I drive under a lot less stress & sleep better at night also.👍
Old 09-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #35

Timber Grove air bags

If you are thinking air bags, Timber Grove are high quality and made here in the U.S.
Easy to install and very robust.
Use them to supplement a quality WDH.
Towing a 6800 (loaded) Rockwood 2612WS
Good Truck tires (truck E-rated toyos)
Good Trailer tires (Goodyear endurance e-rated)
2015 RAM E.D. 3.92 rear end
max tow package
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tt.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	238345  
1shadowsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
What would the Patrol officer pull him over for no PC. Further more can you list a law broken. Regular people not towing get sued everyday.
Where I live we have vehicle inspection units that are just looking for dudes overloaded. They have the same authority as a police officer, and can force you to leave your load right where you are stopped if you are unlucky enough to encounter one.
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:14 PM   #37

The problem with Ram 1500 is not only it’s limited 7,100 lb GVWR but also the rear axle GAWR is only 4,100 lbs
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko 3052 View Post
Have another beer & thank your lucky stars. Not only you in jeopardy but putting others there too!
Sorry, my Tow Vehicle and my trailer are all within limits as per RAM and Forrest River.

So before you make snide remarks. Make sure you understand what you think you know.

Have fun
Old 09-03-2020, 11:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Not disappointed anymore. It started.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
The problem with Ram 1500 is not only it’s limited 7,100 lb GVWR but also the rear axle GAWR is only 4,100 lbs
Ford and GM half tons are about the same rear axle weight rating.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, ram