Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
Your neighbor that says his ram 1500 can tow his new 15,000 lb fiver is out of his rabbit ass mind. It might tow it but will take a 12,000 foot runway to get it going. I hope nobody stops short in front of him or worse still. Pulls out in front of him to get ahead of the big bad trailer coming down the road.
No pics? He’s yanking our chain.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #82

Trailer length is just one of many factors, but all else being equal, a shorter trailer will sway worse than a longer one...........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Yes...sure...why not?

Good for you...

But it would have been much easier with a F250/2500!

It wasn’t even a little problem. The F150 handled it just fine. If it was one of the newer models with more gears, and an eco boost, it would of been more then enough truck.
As it is, this one was plenty.

The 5.4 with the 3.55 rear end and 6 spd tranny, ran up and over the 9700+ pass east of the Tetons on 287 at a steady 3750rpms in 4th. No trouble keeping to the speed limit.

The newer max tow F150’s should be able to do it even easier.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #84

Quote:
It was already a bit windy and when we were trying to get by the truckers who were drafting each other the push from their trucks hit the trailer just right and it went into a wicked sway
post says a bit windy, and passing trucks drafting each other... sounds like he may have been in too much of a hurry and speed was too high for the conditions... recipe for a disaster like what happened...

glad they were not killed or seriously hurt... but I think I put the blame on the driver...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #85

The key to a stable combination is first and foremost a properly designed and loaded trailer. The TW should allow use of the maximum FALR (WD) recommended by the TV manufacturer (25%,50%). The WDH should be at the bottom of the list only adding an extra measure of safety with its sway control. If the WDH/ w sway control is the only thing that keeps things under control your doing it wrong.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #86

Quote:
That's not what I said...

A truck that is too small will have more of those 'moments' than a truck more suitible for the load...

But then again, I'm not the one trying to justify towing with a truck that is too small for the intended load.
Good thing we have experts to determine when a truck is too small for the intended load.....I wish I knew everything about everything....
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #87

Interesting thread, read everything now that I have a chance to catch up with it, but up early as the wagons roll at 0930 this morn.

Couple of observations:

Folks always seem to over estimate the capability of their 1500 series no matter what they have behind it. The post with the guy and his Toyota and the 15,000 lb rig behind it. I think I know him also, he also claims to the 23 mpg towing and 27 empty.

Trucks and towable RV. Take this advice for what its worth: Do you buy shoes that are too small for your feet???

Spend you money on the truck, not the towable, in other words buy up in capability or buy less length/weight.

As an old Infantry soldier I made sure my boots fit and if I had to err I did so by going a half size up, never smaller. These old feet of mine that have walked the DMZ of Vietnam and Korea, all over Germany and other parts of Europe, Panama, Alaska and Hawaii not counting from Ft Benning Ga to Ft Lewis Wa and a lot in-between. My today well into my 70's are as good a shape as a man in his 30'sTru because I took care of them, bought the best boots I could, replaced them often. Do that with your truck...

Truck: I just placed an order for my 2019 F 350, its the only size truck I buy and I am often asked why so much truck for such a small 5th wheel? Because it expands my envelope's margin of safety, that why. You are the one that chooses you margin of safety, not your truck.

Cannot speak for Chevy/GMC or Ram, but the cost difference between a F 250 and a F 350 is so small as to not justify buying a F250 over a F 350. They F350 offers so much more in capability its will worth it. This is my 5th F 350, Diesel, Crewcab, Longbed.

My place is off I 10, its my main road to go to town and back and it the prime route to take the snowbirds to S Texas. I have seen some amazing things, Folks towing the the right rear wheel, no rubber on the tire nothing but sparks as we wave and honk frantically and their only response to reach over and lock the doors (as they are driving and put nose and eyeballs straight ahead...we finally gave up. Cannot tell you have many time I have done trying to alert someone and all we get is an 'ignore'...later on the way back home I have often seen the RV dead on I 10 waiting on a wrecker.

YOU have a responsibility the min you hook up to drive safely and WITHIN the capability of your towing vehicle. That responsibility extends to you, your family, your dog, passengers AND to me and all of us that are driving the roads with you.

Godspeed to all... If we meet, coffee is on me!
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #88
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
Good thing we have experts to determine when a truck is too small for the intended load.....I wish I knew everything about everything....
At least I'm not the one who is under-trucked...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #89

Quote:
JD, what is worse is being Under-trucked and clinging to their hope that the truck can actually pull, stop and be safe.

When you dance with a Gorilla you follow his lead, not the other way around.

When your 3500 lb truck is pulling your12,000+ lb RV, who is dancing with who???
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #90
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
JD, what is worse is being Under-trucked and clinging to their hope that the truck can actually pull, stop and be safe.

When you dance with a Gorilla you follow his lead, not the other way around.

When your 3500 lb truck is pulling your 12,000+ lb RV, who is dancing with who???
Shouldn't you be saying that to the one I was responding to?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #91

our neighbor gave up on the idea his 1500 Ram Outdoorsman would haul his front living 6 slide 15,000lb 5th wheel.
this was after he saw the back end literally compress like a sandwich made with 2 inch fresh bread being stuffed into a ziplock bag.

just because you think you can do it doesn't mean you should.

sort of like ...

well you know catch my drift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa78b038-4d6a-4a38-847a-d107bef3f635.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	190039  
Old 10-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #92

Quote:
Thank you wise one. Like I said, glad we have experts like you so we can all aspire to your greatness. Looks like you'll hit the 2000 post mark soon. So many people informed and saved!
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #93

I started with a 1/2 ton ecoboost f-150 towing a 28 foot 6.5K trailer. I had issues with sway, and have a good hitch and feel that more time with setup and I could have worked it out, at least better than what it was. Instead I just got a new ram 2500 6.4 to fix the problem, partially because I was planning on a bigger camper and partially because I wanted an 8 ft bed. Fix it it did, the extra length and weight even with the exact same setup (adjusted for new truck height, etc) was just a breathtakingly easy pull in terms of stability. I bought a new 38 foot camper at the beginning of this year and it pushes 10K pounds and it was even a better towing experience. Upgraded a month ago to a 3500 Diesel and have towed once with it so far.. Point being I have towed with a 1/2 ton eco-boost, a 3/4 ton gas, and a 1 ton diesel..If it works, it works, if not, then change it.

Folks complaining about putting 11K behind a 1/2 ton and worrying about stopping confuse me when there is little issue putting 15K or more behind a dually and not worrying about stopping. In any case, you drive for the moment, and assume that at any given time things can go sucky real soon, but odds are they wont. If you can pull a 35' camper with a 1/2 ton and are within your weights and you say you handle it fine.. Who am I to judge you? todays 1/2 tons if not at least equal are mighty close to a 1 ton from a few decades ago in terms of power, frame and axle strength, brake diameter, etc..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon44 View Post
I'm reading a lot of post with people towing from 26' to 36' travel trailers with half tons. Assuming weight is within limits of the truck, GCWR, payload, etc. what is a max comfort zone for a 1/2 ton. Are we talking 29' with a proper weight distributor and anti sway set up?

Thanks.
Making popcorn!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I started with a 1/2 ton ecoboost f-150 towing a 28 foot 6.5K trailer. I had issues with sway, and have a good hitch and feel that more time with setup and I could have worked it out, at least better than what it was. Instead I just got a new ram 2500 6.4 to fix the problem, partially because I was planning on a bigger camper and partially because I wanted an 8 ft bed. Fix it it did, the extra length and weight even with the exact same setup (adjusted for new truck height, etc) was just a breathtakingly easy pull in terms of stability. I bought a new 38 foot camper at the beginning of this year and it pushes 10K pounds and it was even a better towing experience. Upgraded a month ago to a 3500 Diesel and have towed once with it so far.. Point being I have towed with a 1/2 ton eco-boost, a 3/4 ton gas, and a 1 ton diesel..If it works, it works, if not, then change it.

Folks complaining about putting 11K behind a 1/2 ton and worrying about stopping confuse me when there is little issue putting 15K or more behind a dually and not worrying about stopping. In any case, you drive for the moment, and assume that at any given time things can go sucky real soon, but odds are they wont. If you can pull a 35' camper with a 1/2 ton and are within your weights and you say you handle it fine.. Who am I to judge you? todays 1/2 tons if not at least equal are mighty close to a 1 ton from a few decades ago in terms of power, frame and axle strength, brake diameter, etc..
Truck brakes stop the truck plus it's payload. Trailer brakes stop the trailer.
Saying you can't stop either is a mute argument.

Neither truck will do better if the trailer brakes quit working.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #96

Quote:
Thank you wise one. Like I said, glad we have experts like you so we can all aspire to your greatness. Looks like you'll hit the 2000 post mark soon. So many people informed and saved!
x2
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Truck brakes stop the truck plus it's payload. Trailer brakes stop the trailer.
Saying you can't stop either is a mute argument.

Neither truck will do better if the trailer brakes quit working.
you could be correct especially on the attachment location. bumper tows as we know are different than the 5th wheel for control.

My last Ecoboost XTR 4x4 was equipped with max tow and air bag suspension. In tow haul mode the trailer was pushing the transmission to 1st gear by an 11,000 lb. 5th wheel down some hills at the bottom.
this made navigation into corners at the bottom a bit more interesting.

The F250 handles better stops better and the trailer is not attempting to push me in to the ditch. it is all a matter of comfort - until the weight police stop you hauling a large trailer with any !/2 ton and the weights and measures (local term) SS haul you over and demand you get weighed.

I know personally of people who have had their truck and trailer impounded and had to return to get a 3/4 or a 1 ton to come get the trailer.

not fun flying home and driving back through 5 states to do that.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #98
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
x2

X3
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #99
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
.....I wish I knew everything about everything....
No you don't. Then you would have to hear the wines every time you tell someone the answer that they don't want to hear.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #100
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
No you don't. Then you would have to hear the wines every time you tell someone the answer that they don't want to hear.

Hey Dually, one of the best answers I've seen on here!

Been there, done it, so I try to keep my mouth shut, key word "try".

Have a great weekend, all!

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer