Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2023, 08:35 AM   #1

What is the best fifth wheel hitch?

We have a 2019 RAM 3500 with the puck system and we're looking at
the B&W Companion and the Curt A25. We're towing a Riverstone 39RKFB so about 19K loaded.

Would anyone have a suggestion on a heavy duty hitch?

Thanks!
LoriMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:04 AM   #2

I have used both a Curt A 24 and a B&W Companion with my 19K RiverStone and both are good hitches.

The Curt was easy to hitch and had a solid latching system but it could be a real bear to unhitch if not level and straight in line with the trailer.

My B&W Companion is a breeze to hitch/unhitch regardless of the orientation of the truck or trailer and I feel that it is a better built hitch.

Both hitches are easy to maintain and install/remove. The B&W has the option to break it down into two pieces so it is a bit lighter to lift.

The B&W did cost a bit more but I do subscribe to the “you get what you pay for” adage.
2018 Ram DRW, long box, Aisin, 4:10
B & W Companion
Albertaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:52 AM   #3

This question is like what's better, coke or pepsi; jiff or skippy.
Personal opinion will play a BIG role in the answers.

After well more than six months of shopping/comparing I chose this hitch
because of its low weight, construction (steel vs aluminum), compactness, and the fact that it is easily removable by one person.
Reviewers said it was sturdy, easy to use regardless of truck orientation, and worked fine in a short bed truck (which I have). After using it, I find all of those opinions correct.

https://www.campingworld.com/superli...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
(shop around - for any hitch. It is available for less on other sites)

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep, you'll get all kinds of opinions.
I use a B&W & Companion. (puck mount)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:46 AM   #5

It also depends on what size is the TV bed. I have a Dodge Mega Cab with a short bed, so I use an auto slider hitch, to pull my Cedar Creek which is great for my needs.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:41 PM   #6
KSH

2500 ram mega cab, I have geny gooseneck. It is fantastic not having to lift anything in or out of the bed.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:49 PM   #7

Q25 Curt

We went through the same process when we were getting ready to pick up our new 442MC last fall. We ended up with the Q25 from Curt and happy with it so far. The deciding factor was luck and me being a cheap ass. I happened to find a brand new hitch(minus the feet) for $300 and found gently used feet for my Ford puck system for $250. Basically brand new hitch for 1/2 price.

I like the red/green/yellow indicator, which I don’t believe B&W have??

I agree it can be frustrating to Release the pin, but have learnt that has more to do with the air bag on the pin box than it has with the hitch. I was trying to remove the weight off the hitch before releasing the hitch, but because if the air bag scissor mechanism the pin does not stay perpendicular to the hitch mechanism and that makes it difficult to release. I now release the hitch before totally lifting the pin box off the hitch .
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
This question is like what's better, coke or pepsi; jiff or skippy.
Personal opinion will play a BIG role in the answers.

After well more than six months of shopping/comparing I chose this hitch
because of its low weight, construction (steel vs aluminum), compactness, and the fact that it is easily removable by one person.
Reviewers said it was sturdy, easy to use regardless of truck orientation, and worked fine in a short bed truck (which I have). After using it, I find all of those opinions correct.

https://www.campingworld.com/superli...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
(shop around - for any hitch. It is available for less on other sites)

I use the Andersen Ultimate which is the inverse of the Proride hitch but with great results. The feature I love is it weighs 40 lbs. I can remove it by myself versus the Reese hitch installed before.

I have an F350 short bed truck and with my Cedar Creek 33IK I can turn 90 degrees. That’s not to say others will but I can.

See link below…

https://andersenhitches.com/product/...te-connection/

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:14 PM   #9
KSH

I used one these before the gen Y gooseneck, I'd sell it for cheap if you're around TN.
https://pullrite.com/products/superlite/1P
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:12 PM   #10

I opted for the Curt A25 and haven't been disappointed. I like the Red, Yellow, Green indicator to indicate what position the lock is in. It has a central pin that you pull easily so you can take it out of the bed in two pieces with the heaviest piece being maybe 50 lbs. I haven't had any problem with it thus far.

Good luck and be safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:57 PM   #11
Always Learning

Of those 2 options the B&W is my choice. Solid, well-built, easy to hitch, easy to unhitch, and American made with great customer service.

But the best fifth wheel hitch is the Trailersaver. It's a full air ride hitch and performs amazingly.

My least favorite was my Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection. I only kept mine for 4 months. Harsh ride with it, we felt every bump and movement of the trailer in the cab. And while I properly torqued it according to the instructions, it never stopped twisting in the truck bed.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Of those 2 options the B&W is my choice. Solid, well-built, easy to hitch, easy to unhitch, and American made with great customer service.

But the best fifth wheel hitch is the Trailersaver. It's a full air ride hitch and performs amazingly.

My least favorite was my Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection. I only kept mine for 4 months. Harsh ride with it, we felt every bump and movement of the trailer in the cab. And while I properly torqued it according to the instructions, it never stopped twisting in the truck bed.
I don’t know about the twisting problem but as I remember you installed a much heavier hitch. (Do I remember a fork lift install?) The Andersen only weighs 40lbs. What you installed was much heavier that I’m sure helped with your dully and stiff springs ride a little less bumpy? I may be completely wrong but for your truck I think heavier hitch helps smooth out the ride.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:01 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I don’t know about the twisting problem but as I remember you installed a much heavier hitch. (Do I remember a fork lift install?) The Andersen only weighs 40lbs. What you installed was much heavier that I’m sure helped with your dully and stiff springs ride a little less bumpy? I may be completely wrong but for your truck I think heavier hitch helps smooth out the ride.
Yep, it turned out to be a 300 lb. hitch that was placed in the truck with a forklift.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think the weight of the hitch matters. It had a 9,000 lbs. rear GAWR, I don't think 250 pounds makes that much of a difference. AND I didn't experience the same ride issues with the B&W (progression was B&W, Andersen, Trailersaver- all in the same truck, with the same trailer).

After participating in an Andersen Ultimate Facebook group, it seems I wasn't alone in this issue. As far as I could piece together, it occurred when the fifth wheel had light pin weight. I was as low as 15% on the pin most of the time. I swapped notes with a few other owners who reported the same issue, and it always seemed like it was a heavier fifth wheel with a lighter pin weight percentage.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yep, it turned out to be a 300 lb. hitch that was placed in the truck with a forklift.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think the weight of the hitch matters. It had a 9,000 lbs. rear GAWR, I don't think 250 pounds makes that much of a difference. AND I didn't experience the same ride issues with the B&W (progression was B&W, Andersen, Trailersaver- all in the same truck, with the same trailer).

After participating in an Andersen Ultimate Facebook group, it seems I wasn't alone in this issue. As far as I could piece together, it occurred when the fifth wheel had light pin weight. I was as low as 15% on the pin most of the time. I swapped notes with a few other owners who reported the same issue, and it always seemed like it was a heavier fifth wheel with a lighter pin weight percentage.
There is always more to the story..lol.. I don’t have a big heavy 5th wheel and drive a swr truck so probably makes a big difference. I switched from a Reese Hitch to the Andersen and to be honest I can’t tell a difference in the ride. I do use an AirRide Trailair pin box on my RV that has made a difference.

I guess I am lucky as I’ve pulled this same RV with an F250 and now an F350 with good results. I’ve never complained about ride…except when I’m hitting those big potholes on the Interstate..lol

Old 03-27-2023, 06:05 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
There is always more to the story..lol.. I don’t have a big heavy 5th wheel and drive a swr truck so probably makes a big difference. I switched from a Reese Hitch to the Andersen and to be honest I can’t tell a difference in the ride. I do use an AirRide Trailair pin box on my RV that has made a difference.

I guess I am lucky as I’ve pulled this same RV with an F250 and now an F350 with good results. I’ve never complained about ride…except when I’m hitting those big potholes on the Interstate..lol
Oh yeah, it's not super common but also not uncommon. But the ride was enough to kill the hitch for us. Seeing the wife in tears on back to back drive days was enough for me.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMeyer View Post
We have a 2019 RAM 3500 with the puck system and we're looking at
the B&W Companion and the Curt A25. We're towing a Riverstone 39RKFB so about 19K loaded.

Would anyone have a suggestion on a heavy duty hitch?

Thanks!
I have used 5the wheel hitches fir 15 years. The BW Companion hitch is by far the best hitch I have used.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
I use the Andersen Ultimate which is the inverse of the Proride hitch but with great results. The feature I love is it weighs 40 lbs. I can remove it by myself versus the Reese hitch installed before.

I have an F350 short bed truck and with my Cedar Creek 33IK I can turn 90 degrees. That’s not to say others will but I can.

See link below…

https://andersenhitches.com/product/...te-connection/
X2 for the Anderson hitch. It's lightweight and very easy to hook up your 5th wheel.
mmarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:23 PM   #18

We use the Curt Q25. Our unit is 42’ and 18,000lbs. I’ve had the hitch since 2019 with the puck system in a 2019 Ram 3500. I’ve had no issues.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:37 PM   #19
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well when I bought my new 5er I went with the Anderson hitch and I loved it and cheaper and easy to install and if You want to remove it only weighs 35# It does tow a little different but once you get use to it its great. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:51 PM   #20

I have the Q24. I don't like the way the release arm angles up. I cannot put a tonneau cover on because of this. Also, as stated earlier it can be a pain in the ass to unhitch. Many times I have to put the truck in reverse and my wife will release the hitch. This is recommended in a Youtube video from Curt. I would watch some Youtube videos on different brands.
sogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, wheel