Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #1

What specific part(s) cause popping noise on Equalizer hitch?

I'm curious which parts are causing the popping sound when moving slowly with an Equalizer hitch. I get that we want tension at certain points and the noise more less confirms things are working, but if it's popping then it seems like it's building too much tension, then suddenly releasing it which would cause too little tension for a moment until it builds again. Clearly, I lack a full understanding of hitch mechanics.

The popping noise occurs mostly when moving slowly like pulling into a campground. But where from?
1) I've read that the spring arms make this popping noise as they 'slide' past the L brackets and rub on the support. This sounds like tension builds, the bars sort of bind or bend slightly until it has to pop loose and then actually slide a bit. The sway bracket jacket should address this to some degree. I just bought the jackets and will test them in a month or so after the snow clears. Have not used the jackets yet.
2) I've also read the head sockets make noise as they turn (with bars installed) and the pop could come from above or below the head sockets if not properly greased.

Squeaking noises don't concern me much. It's only the pop I'm curious (not concerned) about.

We bought the trailer last month. Zero problems towing home with the Eq. My Eq hitch belonged to my brother so I'm familiar with the popping noise that announced his arrival from a couple blocks away. After towing the trailer home, I purchased the sway bracket jackets and will grease the head socket friction points and the ball. Will not grease the space by the L brackets where the sway bracket jackets will be installed. I don't think he ever greased above\below the head sockets or the ball itself. He won't admit it so who knows.

Thanks !!

My setup:
2018 Grand Design 2800BH Dry-6174lbs, GVWR-7495lbs .
10k lbs Equalizer hitch
2017 Ford F350 6.2 Gas
murbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
Enjoying Life

According to my conversation with the manufacturer a while back, the popping is caused by not following the lube instructions for the bar sockets on the head. I have no popping or squeal after doing the lube instructions and adding the L bracket pads

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #3

On my E-2, I have the same popping because the bars don't sit perfectly flat on the L-brackets. So tension builds then releases at slow speeds. And I have a little more wear on the front edge of the L-bracket. No problems with popping at anything above 20mph.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #4

I clean and lube the hitch head sockets every 500 miles and have no noise. We always carry a box of disposable latex gloves with us since it is a messy job.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #5

FWIW

My dealer, yeah I know dealer, said I should not use the pads because they limit the ability of the hitch to control sway. Which does make sense.

I have tried it both ways and do not have a problem with sway either way.

I like the popping It says I am here. Better than using my old AHOOOGA HORN
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #6

If it's making noise, it means it's working.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #7

The pads are great for noise reduction.
Regarding the pads and sway control, controlling the sway is a matter of the downward force of the bars and the friction between the bars and the L brackets.
I don't know what the actual coefficient of friction is for the L pads, but I'm willing to bet there is at least as much or more friction between the bars and the pads as there is between two smooth steel surfaces rubbing together.
I invested a few dollars in the pads and love the noise reduction they provide. Towed for four noisy years without the pads, and now going on three quiet years with. I cannot tell any difference in the amount of sway control. (They aren't some third-party gimmick, they are sold by Equalizer. If they reduced sway control I doubt that Equalizer would be selling them.) I say buy 'em and use 'em. You'll be glad you did.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

I don't mind the popping sound in the campground as much a diesel starting up on a cold morning.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the link for the pads for the Equalizer WDH, I got them on mine and the noise has gone away without any sway problems at all.
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe
Armywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:02 AM   #10

Jackets

If you have not tried jackets, put them on. On mine it eliminated the "rock Crushing" sound on slow turns. If the RV dealer told you the jackets will impact sway prevention on a E-4, BS. It has 0 effect on sway control. Dealer lying again, or ignorant. I have towed in 30 MPH cross wind at 60MPH, no sway.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #11

Sorry Mike134, I took care of the popping noises when pulling out of the campground early, but one out of two is the best I'm gonna do...love our diesel.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #12

I have run a 10K and a 14K E4 on multiple campers for many thousands of miles with various trucks for going on 10 years now. I’ve run with no lube or jackets anywhere to jackets and lube on the head sockets and ball and every combination between. My experience has lead me to NOT use any lube anywhere. Noticeable loss in sway control when lube is used on the hitch head sockets. I’ve run many thousands of miles that way and can tell you that you won’t wear the hitch out for a LONG time due to not lubricating. As for the jackets, I run them on my longer, heavier TT that requires more weight transfer and notice very little if any reduction in sway control. On my smaller and lighter trailers, there is already less friction at the saddles, so I tend to NOT run the jackets on them and don’t get anywhere near the noise I did with no jackets on the heavier rigs. But, as others have stated, the noise is telling you that there is friction that is fighting movement- which is what you want. The only time the noise is an issue is when driving slowly into and out of campgrounds- particularly early or late when you’re likely to disturb others. In this case, I simply remove or wait to engage the WD bars while on campground roads.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:14 PM   #13

Lube does not seem to minimize the popping. I use the pads sold by Equalizer and on amazon, they really help with the popping and don't seem to affect the sway control.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #14

Just as a Note - these 'Bracket Jackets' are not to be on the Fastway E2 hitches. Unfortunately my hitch is the Fastway E2. When I purchased my Vibe and the dealer installed the WD Hitch, I saw the 'E2' on the hitch and assumed it was an Equalizer. I later found out through some research that while both Equalizer and Fastway E2 hitches are made by Progress Mfg. , they are not the same.

From the Equalizer hitch site:
"Sway Bracket Jackets should not be used with the Fastway® e2™ hitch, also by Progress Mfg. Inc."

-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #15

I have a set of pads sitting in the toolbox that I ordered a month ago. Looking forward to trying them out. The noise doesn’t bother me but the wife hates seeing everyone turning to see who is making all the noise when we pull in or out.
camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrimm View Post
Just as a Note - these 'Bracket Jackets' are not to be on the Fastway E2 hitches. Unfortunately my hitch is the Fastway E2. When I purchased my Vibe and the dealer installed the WD Hitch, I saw the 'E2' on the hitch and assumed it was an Equalizer. I later found out through some research that while both Equalizer and Fastway E2 hitches are made by Progress Mfg. , they are not the same.

From the Equalizer hitch site:
"Sway Bracket Jackets should not be used with the Fastway[emoji2400] e2[emoji769] hitch, also by Progress Mfg. Inc."

-Russ
The E4 4-point Equal-i-zer is American made.
The Fastway E2 is made overseas.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #17
Camping the Natural State

Not supposed to lube the hitch at all. Not the head or the bars or anything. I just read extensively about this.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:55 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Not supposed to lube the hitch at all. Not the head or the bars or anything. I just read extensively about this.
You'd be wrong:

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/blog/...al-i-zer-hitch

Unless the manufacturer is wrong.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Where did you read that? Excerpt from the manual below:

"The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and well lubricated with a good quality multi‑purpose or bearing grease. These are the surfaces where the arm sockets rub against the top and bottom plates of the head. See Figure 23. We recommend Equal-i-zer high performance lubricant.

They should be lubricated before each trip. Check for damage or abnormal wear at the beginning of each towing day and replace if necessary. Clean dirt and road grit from all friction surfaces regularly."

I no longer grease the ball but Ii took mine apart after the first season and cleaned up the aforementioned surfaces with a fine file and lubricated it generously with HD grease. I do have a tube of Equalizer grease as well.

The HD grease/EQ grease is resistant to washout or contamination when it rains. The whole thing works well and is reasonably quiet. We use the pads on the L brackets as well.

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You'd be wrong:

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/blog/...al-i-zer-hitch

Unless the manufacturer is wrong.
And for those who own Fastway E2 Round Bar WDH hitches, they also require lubrication on the bars where they engage in the head.
See Step #10-Regular Maintenance (page 20) in the attached manual for instructions.
-Russ
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FW_e2_Round-Bar-Owners-Manual.pdf (3.06 MB, 57 views)
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch, noise, parts