Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

What to buy

I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins SRW and I'm pulling a 37 ft Columbus 5th wheel (approx 16k loaded). I have no trouble pulling it and love the way it tows. My problem is that the ride is really hard and after 300 or 400 miles my wife is ready to kill me and everybody around us. I've been told that the GM and Ford trucks have a better ride than my Ram so I'm considering a TV change. I am thinking if I change from Ram I will probably have to go with a 1 ton to get enough tow capacity. I want to stay with SRW which is the source of my question. No dealers around me have a 1 ton diesel SWR in inventory so I can't drive what I want.
Is there a significant improvement in the ride to warrant switching and is it significant enough to go through hoops to find one that I can drive?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
vinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Can`t help you much because I bought a 1 ton dually from the get go. When I sell the 30WR which I hope is soon I`ll still keep the dually for hauling atv trailer. Just a great TV
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #3

I have a '13 CTD 2500 as well. Play with the tire air pressure. Less vs more, front and rear.

I have a 2013 272BH TT and with the trailer on the truck, about 60PSI in all tires, it rides pretty well actually. Now 60PSI without the TT is another matter, ill lower the PSI to 45 in the rear and 50 in the front. Much improved, but remember its a 7200lb ish truck, not a sedan.
dodosmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinr View Post
I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins SRW and I'm pulling a 37 ft Columbus 5th wheel (approx 16k loaded). I have no trouble pulling it and love the way it tows. My problem is that the ride is really hard and after 300 or 400 miles my wife is ready to kill me and everybody around us. I've been told that the GM and Ford trucks have a better ride than my Ram so I'm considering a TV change. I am thinking if I change from Ram I will probably have to go with a 1 ton to get enough tow capacity. I want to stay with SRW which is the source of my question. No dealers around me have a 1 ton diesel SWR in inventory so I can't drive what I want.
Is there a significant improvement in the ride to warrant switching and is it significant enough to go through hoops to find one that I can drive?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Hi the big question I have is what type of seats you have in the truck? This is a overlooked need if you are planing on long drives. So do you have buck board seats or seats that have lumbar support and adjust to how you are built. This apply's to all the truck manufactures. The better seats are an option and not standard unless you buy a top of the line models.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

Air bags?

You might think about installing air bags on the rear suspension of your 2500. We had it done on our 2011 2500 Laramie diesel shortly after we bought the truck. It smoothed out the ride considerably when towing. We had it installed at a local shop and had them install a compressor in the truck so we could easily adjust the air in the bags when we were towing vs. when we were just driving the truck by itself. The setup cost us somewhere around $850, as I recall. I don't know what the tow capacity is of a 2013 Ram 2500 diesel, but a 16,000-pound trailer would have vastly exceeded the capacity of our 2500 to tow safely. Air bags, by the way, don't increase either payload or tow capacity.
2016 Ram 3500 diesel
Employment was great, but retirement is better
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote