Old 03-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #41

Toad brake system

Take a look at the Air Force 1 braking system. Very simple and easy system and no parts to remove or install in the road. Everything is installed permanent and system activated with pneumatics and all you have to do is put a quick disconnect switch on battery terminal and kill
Power after hooked up. Really easy and simple system just a bit pricy but worth every penny
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
If your towed vehicle has power brakes, how do these auxiliary brake systems activate the brakes? A person I know that has a large class A and pulls a Ford ranger behind doesn't use anything. He says the extra weight of the Toad is insignificant to the huge brakes on the motorhome. I have no idea about those issues.

First a brake system is required by many states.

Second your Toad should have a breakaway system should it seperate from the RV. Imagine a several thousand pound missle on wheels going into on coming traffic.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #43
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
I installed a SMI Stay and Play brake system. This is a permanent installation and as for your question on how it activates the brakes, it has a vacuum operated cylinder attached to the brake pedal. The unit has a vacuum pump which is attached to the vacuum line so it also provides vacuum to the vehicles brake booster as well. Advantage to this system is you just flip a switch and go.

We have factory installed Roadmaster invisibrake that failed after 6 months. The man that fixed it said he thought the Stay and Play was much better. He said Roadmaster copied their system, lost a patent lawsuit, changed theirs around a little and now itís not as reliable. The way he fixed it, itís more stable and has not failed. The story he told made a lot of sense and if it fails again, weíll get Stay and Play.

We met a lawyer that has a 30 foot motor home and tows a too heavy for his rig Jeep without brakes. He thinks itís just great. Sad if you ask me.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
We have factory installed Roadmaster invisibrake that failed after 6 months. The man that fixed it said he thought the Stay and Play was much better. He said Roadmaster copied their system, lost a patent lawsuit, changed theirs around a little and now itís not as reliable. The way he fixed it, itís more stable and has not failed. The story he told made a lot of sense and if it fails again, weíll get Stay and Play.

We met a lawyer that has a 30 foot motor home and tows a too heavy for his rig Jeep without brakes. He thinks itís just great. Sad if you ask me.
The lawyer is being very foolish. It may appear to be a minor crime with a small fine. However, causing severve injury or death while breaking that law can bring serious criminal charges and a loss of his legal license.

Accidents happen: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...me-202282.html
deciccocpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #45

I have a Forest River Sunseeker 3270, which is a 32 foot class C. Toad is a 2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door. The toad brake system I have is a Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO. This unit is permanently installed in the toad. Portability was not an issue for me. I do not have another vehicle that is suitable for use as a toad. And I wanted something that was quick and easy to connect after hooking up the towbar.

The Demco unit has a pneumatic actuator to apply the Jeep brakes. It also provides vacuum to the Jeep power brake system. All of this is powered by 12 VDC and the connector cable from the motorhome supplies power to the Jeep to maintain its battery.

I have no illusions that my Class C has sufficient braking power on its own with the toad connected, especially in an emergency stop or in mountain driving. That is why I wanted an effective braking system in the toad. Like they say about gravity, it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

The Demco system was highly recommended by my dealer, Stoltzfus RV in West Chester, PA.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #46
FranksontheRoad

Invisibrake

Easy to use, stows under rear seat of the full size pickup that we tow. Keeps us legal.
Wouldithelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #47

I had the NSA Ready Brute Elite installed (professionally) and after more than 15K miles, I've never had a problem. And, with the integrated braking system, I'm hooked up and ready to go in less time than other TOADees. 2006 Simba/2009 HHR.
J Autry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #48

I went with the invisibrake by Roadmaster. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #49
...far N Georgia!

many of us don't use one, and don't 'need' one, since we have large motorhomes and small vehicles - but if it makes you sleep better at night, use one.
100,000+ miles and no issues.

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #50

So what happens if the toad disconnects? My brother has a much larger MH than you and was responsible enough to put one on the Jeep he tows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
many of us don't use one, and don't 'need' one, since we have large motorhomes and small vehicles - but if it makes you sleep better at night, use one.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #51

Before purchasing a MH, towed trailers for many years and miles. One hit and run accident and was glad tt had brake away and fresh battery before it flipped after being disconnect from Tv. NC HP noted that tt had a working break away on accident. As to question above, toad vehicles above 2000 pounds must have brake systems in a lot of states.
Days camped in FR, 2011-12 = 77, Ď13-14 = 98, Ď15 = 52
Ď16 = 77, Ď17 = 81, Ď18 = 44, 19í = 83, 2020 = 41
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:18 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
If your large motorhome and small vehicle doesn’t ‘need’ a toad braking system, how does it behave in the event of a towed vehicle break away? Is it because the motorhome is large that that’s not a concern?
Old 03-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
As to question above, toad vehicles above 2000 pounds must have brake systems in a lot of states.
A trailer of any kind is a vehicle. Only reference to a motorhome towing braking requirement that I have seen is that motored vehicles in tandem must be able to stop within 50ft from 20mph. Never seen or read a requirement in any state laws for a motorhome's toad to have supplemental braking while being toad. Even the manufacturers of the systems reference documents all pertain to trailers. Not saying it is a bad idea just what I have/have not been able to verify as I have a motorhome that is pushed by a toad (4 down). This subject has been hashed over and over again on this forum and nobody has been influenced one way or the other from their method of towing behind a motorhome.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #54

The use of the term trailer doesn't let anyone off the hook in terms of supplemental braking laws:

Federal Regulations Title 49 (49CFR571.4)*of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (10-01-08 edition) defines a 'trailer' as follows: ďTrailer means a motor vehicle with or without motive power, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by another motor vehicle."

A motorhome towing a car is subject to any laws referencing the towing of a trailer and many states require automatic braking in the event of a break away anyhow.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad