Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #1

what toad brake system do you use

I am getting ready to have my tow bar setup installed on the Jeep GC. Wanting to hear from others what they use for the brake system. Shop suggested a portable brake that you setup on the brake each time to tow. I am leaning towards a more permanent setup. I have no clue what I want so would appreciate any feedback concerning what you use. I will be using a RM base plate and a RM sterling 8k tow bar. 2017 Jeep GC limited.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles l View Post
I am getting ready to have my tow bar setup installed on the Jeep GC. Wanting to hear from others what they use for the brake system. Shop suggested a portable brake that you setup on the brake each time to tow. I am leaning towards a more permanent setup. I have no clue what I want so would appreciate any feedback concerning what you use. I will be using a RM base plate and a RM sterling 8k tow bar. 2017 Jeep GC limited.
I use NSA ReadyBrake on my Jeep. Fits between the TV receiver and your tow bar. Very easy and reliable self-adjusting mechanical surge brake system. No electronics.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #3

If your towed vehicle has power brakes, how do these auxiliary brake systems activate the brakes? A person I know that has a large class A and pulls a Ford ranger behind doesn't use anything. He says the extra weight of the Toad is insignificant to the huge brakes on the motorhome. I have no idea about those issues.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
If your towed vehicle has power brakes, how do these auxiliary brake systems activate the brakes? A person I know that has a large class A and pulls a Ford ranger behind doesn't use anything. He says the extra weight of the Toad is insignificant to the huge brakes on the motorhome. I have no idea about those issues.
Having power assisted brakes does not mean that auxiliary braking systems cannot still slow or stop the toad.

Your person with the class A and the Ranger may have arbitrarily decided that no auxiliary brake system is needed, but by law it’s required in most US states. In addition, with no toad brake, how does this person deal with a loose vehicle that separated from the motorhome? No concern for the damage or injuries it could cause? Again, typically covered by towing laws.

It’s a shame that there are people like that out there sharing the road with the rest of us.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
geezer with gadgets

We also tow a Jeep GC. All our equipment is RoadMaster. For braking we use the EvenBrake portable.

Here's a link:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...r/RM-9400.html

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
We also tow a Jeep GC. All our equipment is RoadMaster. For braking we use the EvenBrake portable.

Here's a link:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...r/RM-9400.html
Geezer with gadgets. Like the name. How do you like the even brake? The shop is suggesting I use this when I have the base plate installed. I am still researching the brake system I want. I see you are in SE VA. I am in Chesapeake. May be using Portsmouth trailer for the install.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 03-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #7

Blue Ox Patriot II

We use the blue ox patriot II on our Jeep Wrangler. No particular reason other than that the outfit that installed everything else recommended it and they have an excellent reputation. Seems to work just fine, only takes a couple of minutes to install or uninstall.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles l View Post
Geezer with gadgets. Like the name. How do you like the even brake? The shop is suggesting I use this when I have the base plate installed. I am still researching the brake system I want. I see you are in SE VA. I am in Chesapeake. May be using Portsmouth trailer for the install.
Portsmouth Trailer did our install 2 years ago. Easy to work with and explained everything. Took their time making sure that all our questions were answered. We even videoed the overview. Highly recommend them.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #9

Friend of mine with a Class "C" and Jeep Wrangler toad installed an InvisiBrake system. He's very happy with it.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are many that think like him.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:39 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies. I am feeling a little better about using the even brake. Seems easy enough to se up and store in the vehicle when not in use. People seem happy with the units performance. I may just go with it.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 03-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
I use NSA ReadyBrake on my Jeep. Fits between the TV receiver and your tow bar. Very easy and reliable self-adjusting mechanical surge brake system. No electronics.
X2. I've been using the Ready Brake for over 3 years on my '06 Liberty.... no problems. I like the idea of just hooking things up at the same time and area as my tow bar, and not having to remove/replace anything from the interior of the Jeep.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
I installed a SMI Stay and Play brake system. This is a permanent installation and as for your question on how it activates the brakes, it has a vacuum operated cylinder attached to the brake pedal. The unit has a vacuum pump which is attached to the vacuum line so it also provides vacuum to the vehicles brake booster as well. Advantage to this system is you just flip a switch and go.
2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5 towing a 2019 Equinox 4 down
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #14
Citrus County, Fl.

If you want a good permanent system I concur the SMI Stay and Play is easy to use. If you want to go with something easy on the budget you can do as I did. I purchased a used Brake Buddy Vantage from Craig's List for a couple of hunderd. It needed some work so I sent it to Hopkins Manufacturing and they did a total rebuild. Compressor, circuit board, new plug, etc. Maximum I think is $399 and you get a 3 year warranty. About half the cost of a new one with the same warranty.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
I installed a SMI Stay and Play brake system. This is a permanent installation and as for your question on how it activates the brakes, it has a vacuum operated cylinder attached to the brake pedal. The unit has a vacuum pump which is attached to the vacuum line so it also provides vacuum to the vehicles brake booster as well. Advantage to this system is you just flip a switch and go.
Interesting. The guy I was talking about was camped next to me in Gulf Shores for a couple weeks. Had a nice outfit. Seemed as if he was aware of all the issues with the aux braking but also convinced there was no problem. So until now I still didn't really know how they activated power brakes, which was my question for him.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:

Our Invisibrake draws air from the brake vacuum booster and uses it to depress the brake pedal via a pneumatic cylinder.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #17

Invisibrake
Old 03-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #18

We've used Roadmaster's Even Brake for about 8 years and like it. We debated going the permanent installation route, but we didn't know how long we'd have a particular toad, or if we might have more than one vehicle capable of being flat-towed. We figured the portable was a better fit for us.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
what toad brake system do you use

I use a Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain tow bar and the Invisi Brake brake system. Very happy with it.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Ready Brake Elite, this will be our 5th year with this set up. No problems to date.
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad