Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #21
DDC

If you go with the Hensley or ProPride you will not have any sway to control, I know everyone says they are expensive but they are the best.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
The andersen should be a perfect match for your set up no sway no bounce wd simple grease less set up . very stout unit . join in the 21century
I don't think it has ever been proven on this forum that the Anderson can get all of the lost weight back on the tow vehicle front axle, especially with trailers that have heavy tongue weights. Since the OP is pulling with a 3/4 ton truck, a bit heavy on the rear axle is probably not a bad thing, but I would still be concerned with the lost weight on the front axle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #23
fx2

I have a very similar setup, 2014 Ram 2500 and a Surveyor SC321BHTS and use the equal-i-zer. Very very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #24

Got a $100 off trade up from Blue Ox at Goshen two years ago. Got tired of the noise from the Eqalizer system With sway bar I had. No noise, no sway now. Blue Ox tech set mine up, but walked me through it as he installed it. Love the system. Have a 34 foot TT and 2500 Chey HD.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #25

I use the Reese sway control weight distribution hitch w/ a single additional anti sway bar. You do have to disconnect the anti sway bar when backing up. It's the best system I've had.

2013 Rockwood, 8315BSS
2010 Yukon XL 2500
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If you go with the Hensley or ProPride you will not have any sway to control, I know everyone says they are expensive but they are the best.
I use a Hensley Arrow and have done for years. Yes, it is expensive but it works! Many years back, shortly after purchasing the unit and before they built the new bridge, we were traveling from Flagstaff, AZ to Las Vegas very early in the morning. Prior to crossing over the Hoover Dam we were stopped by Homeland Security for inspection. First question I was asked was, "How the hell did you get here?". "What do you mean?" this crazy Canuk replied. "Well the road is closed" I was told. "Didn't see any signs" I said. "Why is it closed?" I asked. "Severe cross winds topping 80mph" I was told. Kicking my nice new orange Hensley Arrow, I said, "Well, that bugger was a good investment then!" A year later, west bound and crossing the Mojave Desert in wicked winds. Semi's were drifting all over the road and there was even one on it's side in the median. Even though we could feel the wind, we never swayed and always felt I had complete control. Recently installed it on our Flagstaff V-Lite and expect to get the same performance but we do require an exchange 4" off-set hitch bar and different Frame Brackets. It is the best Sway eliminator I have ever used!
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #27

I have a Lacrosse 308res and use a Reese dual cam. It took a little fussing with it to get it fine tuned but then you are set. Adjustments don't change. I'm happy!
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #28

Had a 29 ft surveyor trailer and used the equalizer 4 point sway and it worked awesome. Very little sway even in windy conditions. The style of truck u have can play a role also in trailer sway. I prefer to have a tow vehichle which has a higher weight rating

Kim & Randy Holmes
2016 F350 Turbo Diesel FX4
2014 Palomino Sabre 33 CKTS
(2012: 10); (2013: 17); (2014: 33); (2015: 43);
(2016: 37); (2017: 69); (2018: 90); (2019: 109); (2020: 110)
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #29

I currently have a LaCrosse 327RES and a F250 so the setup is very similar to your unit. I have a 14,000/1400 Equ-al-izer that I had on a different trailer with a heavier tongue weight. Overall I am happy with it but it did take a few different attempts to get it dialed in. I use their grease and lube mine every time and have the pads on the L brackets. There is very little noise but everything is heavy to lug around.

My concern with the Andersen ( I have never actually seen) is I have read that they don’t do well with the longer-heavier trailers.

If was starting out now I would look very hard at the Blue Ox that has been mentioned.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I currently have a LaCrosse 327RES and a F250 so the setup is very similar to your unit. I have a 14,000/1400 Equ-al-izer that I had on a different trailer with a heavier tongue weight. Overall I am happy with it but it did take a few different attempts to get it dialed in. I use their grease and lube mine every time and have the pads on the L brackets. There is very little noise but everything is heavy to lug around.

My concern with the Andersen ( I have never actually seen) is I have read that they don’t do well with the longer-heavier trailers.

If was starting out now I would look very hard at the Blue Ox that has been mentioned.
Has anyone else heard this about the Andersen Hitch? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new hitch setup but now 2nd guessing. Right now it down to the Reese Dual Cam and the Andersen. Any thoughts on those with a 37 foot 10,000 lbs trailer?
DodgeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeCamper View Post
Has anyone else heard this about the Andersen Hitch? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new hitch setup but now 2nd guessing. Right now it down to the Reese Dual Cam and the Andersen. Any thoughts on those with a 37 foot 10,000 lbs trailer?
I looked at the Andersen hitch when I was in the marked for a hitch.
At that time it was mostly folks with smaller and lighter units using them.
Im big, long and heavy so I decided against it.
IMO these are a safer bet or more proven choice.
Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro, Hensley or Pro Pride.
Imo the ProPride is the best, but dont think you need to break the bank with the truck you have.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #32

I have an Anderson @ 31' ft with 7500 loaded- about 950 tongue. Have had it set up great for a FEW trips but been having issues with the setup last few months. I think my problem was/is the brackets were slipping on the frame even when I torqued everything down to 150 lbs. my buddy just welded the brackets to the frame so I could start over with setup. I took it out last night after making a ball height adjustment and seems pretty good now with a short freeway drive and some abrupt lane changes. I won't be max loaded on tonight's trip but will advise on success or failure when we get back.

And yes, I cannot get enough weight back to front axle. But I also have squishy off road suspension so if you have 3/4 ton, prob not an issue.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I have an Anderson @ 31' ft with 7500 loaded- about 950 tongue. Have had it set up great for a FEW trips but been having issues with the setup last few months. I think my problem was/is the brackets were slipping on the frame even when I torqued everything down to 150 lbs. my buddy just welded the brackets to the frame so I could start over with setup. I took it out last night after making a ball height adjustment and seems pretty good now with a short freeway drive and some abrupt lane changes. I won't be max loaded on tonight's trip but will advise on success or failure when we get back.

And yes, I cannot get enough weight back to front axle. But I also have squishy off road suspension so if you have 3/4 ton, prob not an issue.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"
Thats important to any wdh set-up. Getting the weight shoved back to the front axles.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #34

98% of all the reviews on the andersen from smaller tt to larger 36' tt give rave reviews on the andersen . I have seen the weights and spread sheets of those that have 34' and 36' tt where they got beyond stock weight transfer to the front axles . 0 sway 0 bounce and love the unit . many who chose to not use it were skeptical of a new design .
haven't used it yet say it won't work based on one or two reviews . I'm basing my decision of hundreds of reviews .

speaking with Jason at Andersen of the few people who felt it did not work well there sets up where bad to begin with . to small a TV for the TT . standard wd hitches will give you the false illusion that your set up is ok by compensating for a small TV . IMO So for those to say it may work but the old fashion kind do work never used the andersen . as both work . as far as sway this is 0 sway not anti sway again IMO
before i bought i not only spent hrs and hrs searching and reading I had several engineers look at the unit and give there opinions . one aircraft engineer some structural engineer and a aerospace engineer they all said it not only works but is a
great design , that sold me on the unit . with a lifetime warranty on the springs and break materiel . the choice is yours .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #35

WD hitch

Equalizer with no doubt... I had a reese and it was all over the road switched to Equilizer and I could drive down highway with two fingers. worth every penny.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #36

I'm new to all this with no prior WDH experiance. My research has the Anderson as my first choice for my F150 and new Grey Wolf 26dbh (31, 750# tw) but I'm concerned what happens to the hitch when either the TV or TT are on higher ground. Those road situations where the nose of the TV and back of the TT are up in the air and the safety chains are dragging. I see this being an issue when I bring the TT home and back it uphill into my driveway. Has anyone with the Anderson experienced this? Do you need to remove the triangle plate or loosen the WD tension?

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
I use the Reese sway control weight distribution hitch w/ a single additional anti sway bar. You do have to disconnect the anti sway bar when backing up. It's the best system I've had.

2013 Rockwood, 8315BSS
2010 Yukon XL 2500
Reese has a (Dual Cam system and a SC system) neither require or will accept a Additional sway bar! Sounds like you have a (W/D system with a add on single Friction Sway Bar). Totally different systems! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Reese has a (Dual Cam system and a SC system) neither require or will accept a Additional sway bar! Sounds like you have a (W/D system with a add on single Friction Sway Bar). Totally different systems! Youroo!!
youroo, my Reese Dual Cam setup has the extended platform where 1 friction sway ball could be added. I am not sure that is what tomrob1161 is referring to or not.....will be interesting to hear his details in a follow-up post.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
tomrob, would you elaborate on your setup ?? Are you using a Reese Dual Cam setup with an additional friction sway control bar ??

Old 03-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
youroo, my Reese Dual Cam setup has the extended platform where 1 friction sway ball could be added. I am not sure that is what tomrob1161 is referring to or not.....will be interesting to hear his details in a follow-up post.
Yes like the (Reese Pro Series head Code# 58333) it is a Round Bar type with (2)ball mounts they make the same for Trunnion type also! In 1 or 2 ball mount (Wing Platforms)! That way you can use just a W/D with these heads or Friction Bar. BUT if you use either Reese S/C built in system it is NOT needed to use the (Friction Bar)! Really it would be the (Wrong Head) ,it would work but (Platform Wing) not used! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway