Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #61

I use an Equalizer hitch primarily because that's the brand the dealer carries. So they were able to install it quickly when I picked up the trailer. I'm not close to the TV weight limits so it's more of a factor for sway control. So far I have not felt any sway from passing trucks.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:45 AM   #62

Fastway E2 on a '17 Ford Explorer and '17 Apex Nano 193BHS.

Only because it came with the camper, but after I set it up for our configuration it works well.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #63

I use an Andersen WD hitch because I was talked into it by the dealer! It is not a great hitch. I tow a 29 ft trailer at about 7500 lbs. The hitch was so noisy, squalling like a scalded cat, when turning, that we pulled into Andersen's while travelling through Idaho Falls. To their credit, they jumped right in and replaced the sleeve in the hitch. They added some graphite to the inside of the sleeve and the hitch was quieted down.... for a while. The squalling returned after some time in rainy conditions and I finally ended up disassembling the hitch and polishing the shaft of the ball and greasing the inside of the sleeve. I added a drilled out hockey puck over the polymer bushing they use and ride quality and damping was improved. I welded extensions to the front of the clamps, in an attempt to maintain alignment. This worked for a while but the extensions (1 1/4 inch, heavy walled, square tubing) finally bent. There is a lot of pressure on these and I will probably replace the tubing with some bar stock.
Ultimately, I think the design is viable but needs some further developement. If used in conjunction with a different tongue hitch, the idea isn't all bad. Mine has traveled about twenty thousand miles. I have been thinking about replacing it with a Blue Ox before the next trip but I'll probably stick with it for now. I tow with a Ram 3500 which is also loaded pretty well for long trips and sway is not a big issue. GD
greydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
x2!
X3
cmoecmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #65

Equalizer.

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 towing a 21FBRS. Has worked great. Very stable towing.
5.3 V8, 3:73 Rear, Tow Package

JKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydog View Post
I use an Andersen WD hitch because I was talked into it by the dealer! It is not a great hitch. I tow a 29 ft trailer at about 7500 lbs. The hitch was so noisy, squalling like a scalded cat, when turning, that we pulled into Andersen's while travelling through Idaho Falls. To their credit, they jumped right in and replaced the sleeve in the hitch. They added some graphite to the inside of the sleeve and the hitch was quieted down.... for a while. The squalling returned after some time in rainy conditions and I finally ended up disassembling the hitch and polishing the shaft of the ball and greasing the inside of the sleeve. I added a drilled out hockey puck over the polymer bushing they use and ride quality and damping was improved. I welded extensions to the front of the clamps, in an attempt to maintain alignment. This worked for a while but the extensions (1 1/4 inch, heavy walled, square tubing) finally bent. There is a lot of pressure on these and I will probably replace the tubing with some bar stock.
Ultimately, I think the design is viable but needs some further developement. If used in conjunction with a different tongue hitch, the idea isn't all bad. Mine has traveled about twenty thousand miles. I have been thinking about replacing it with a Blue Ox before the next trip but I'll probably stick with it for now. I tow with a Ram 3500 which is also loaded pretty well for long trips and sway is not a big issue. GD

you gotta be setting this up wrong with all the troubles you're having . having owned the andersen for 7 yrs they have gone through a few different breaking materials . they used to get noisy when wet but they solved that 3 yrs ago with a new designed ball mount and cap that covers the braking material . have not had any noises since the replacement ball assy which they sent for free as they did all there up-grades [and only when wet ] . ie new bushings shorter then org , new chain set with them no charge . Now if you've bent the brackets you are rally doing something wrong . I tow a 9300lbs TH with my chevy 2500 over 42,xxx miles never any bending of brackets in fact 0 problems . the earlier noise issues was only when wet and that was solved . greasing the ball and brake sleeve on these goes against the design of the system . Sway is non existent and was never an issue from day one of use . Some people just don't know what they are doing and end up doing things that make matters worse . Andersen is great to work with and have been by their sop on a couple occasions each time with great service and care for customer .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyGBOT View Post
LOL, Larry2c! Yes, breaker and socket is better than stock BO "wrench" even with padding on the handle. My only challenge with the BO was getting the desired link captured on the rotating tensioner. I picked up one off every time and had to redo. Maybe I need better glasses.
FWIW - I painted the 9th link green so I could find it without counting. Unfortunately, it wears off pretty fast so I have to touch it up every 9 months or so...
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:38 PM   #68

I’m using the RecurveR3. It’s okay, but I’m thinking about moving to the Equalizer.
chrisj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #69

I just acquired a Fastway E2 10,000/1,000 lb hitch. I installed the clamp on brackets to my trailers frame and set the hitch up. It seems to be a huge improvement from my 25 year old Quality S chain bar hitch. I did get the pads to place on the bar brackets to limit the noise from friction point on end of bars.
It reduces sway and is easy to hook up when raising the trailer tongue with the electric jack. I may be pushing the tongue weight rating a little though. 1,050 lbs on my tongue and the hitch is 1,000 lb tongue rated I think. Anyway it’s a big improvement from chain bar style…..
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
FWIW - I painted the 9th link green so I could find it without counting. Unfortunately, it wears off pretty fast so I have to touch it up every 9 months or so...
On my Propride, I ran the WD jacks all the way up and spray painted the inner jack tube with red primer. Then I lowered the jack to my base operating position and top coated with black. Adjusting the jack with my battery drill gets me to the sweet spot in seconds. Paint hasn't worn off in 3 years. I'll probably do it again next spring just to get a nice shiny coat of black on again. I use the drill for both the WD jacks and my stab jacks. Both use the same size socket.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
I just acquired a Fastway E2 10,000/1,000 lb hitch. I installed the clamp on brackets to my trailers frame and set the hitch up. It seems to be a huge improvement from my 25 year old Quality S chain bar hitch. I did get the pads to place on the bar brackets to limit the noise from friction point on end of bars.
It reduces sway and is easy to hook up when raising the trailer tongue with the electric jack. I may be pushing the tongue weight rating a little though. 1,050 lbs on my tongue and the hitch is 1,000 lb tongue rated I think. Anyway it’s a big improvement from chain bar style…..
Where did you get the pads. Reading the equalizer sway bracket jackets..."they are not to be used on e2 hitch." Do they make one for the e2? There was a discussion about this in another thread.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...sy-232455.html

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manua...racket-jackets

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #72

Hensley. As with P3 nothing to install or store. Hook up, crank the bars where I want them, all the way up for our TT, with the drill. As for towing, one handed driving NO sway. If not for pulling hills I would forget the TT is back there drives so smooth.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #73

Agree on the E2. dealer installed on our 31fkrk puma. A bit undersize for this trailer but no noise, no sway, no tv nose bounce and simple to install. Love it over the two we have had in the past with smaller trailers. Dealer did not set it up correct. Had to adjust and torque bolts to proper per the Fastway manual I downloaded to zoom in on lol
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch