Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

When unhooking trailer from ball.....

the coupler sort up snaps off the ball and I get a bit of movement of my TT while the jacks sits on my wood blocks. I thought it was going to fall off the blocks. It is chocked.
Any ideas what causes this?
I hope I am clear.
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #2

This is normal and is caused by where the ball is positioned in the hitch receptacle. There is a slight pocket forward of where the ball rests in the hitch. To prevent the "popping off" of the hitch, you can move the tow vehicle backwards just a tick to center the ball in the hitch before unhitching. Hope this makes sense.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukegsdaddy View Post
the coupler sort up snaps off the ball and I get a bit of movement of my TT while the jacks sits on my wood blocks. I thought it was going to fall off the blocks. It is chocked.
I hope I am clear.
when that happens, your ball has solid contact with the front inside wall of the coupler, as you crank the trailer up off the ball that bottom lip of the coupler is forced up against the curve of the ball and when it reaches the halfway point it lets loose and that is the snap,...... if you put the vehicle in neutral and let it "relax", that should remove the forward force and somewhat allow the ball to center itself in the coupler cup and the snap will go away or be much less,....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
This is normal and is caused by where the ball is positioned in the hitch receptacle. There is a slight pocket forward of where the ball rests in the hitch. To prevent the "popping off" of the hitch, you can move the tow vehicle backwards just a tick to center the ball in the hitch before unhitching. Hope this makes sense.
What Teamfour said... as well as... trailer ball sockets on some units fit VERY snugly. There has been quite the discussion with the ROO folks here recently about the socket being slightly undersize.

Also, make sure you use some kind of lube on the ball & socket.
I use a dry PTFE dry lube on my ball hitch trailers.

The coupler slides right off where before, sometimes the jack would lift the trailer & tow vehicle and I'd have to jump on the bumper to get it to release.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #5

I tend to pull my truck forward (after chockin tires and starting to lift tongue) to ensure the ball is all the way forward in the coupler. This ensures it isn't caught on the latch/release. The little bump is no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

Parking brake

Quote:
I hope I am clear.
As long as you are on level ground, try not setting the parking brake on the tow vehicle but, MAKE SURE IT IS IN PARK. The TV will have a little play, usually and inch or two, and then the hitch ball will not be totally tight against either the front of the coupler or the latch. May not be the correct way to unhook, but it seems to work for me.

Hope this helps.
rcla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

we use our x-chocks before unhooking. when we had the tow trailer, and even now when we unhook our fifth wheel. the trailer won't move. we almost lost a trailer when we unhooked once and it was chocked with the plastic chocks that you place behind. and front of the wheels. the trailer rolled right over them and down a hill. My husband grabbed the tongue and pulled the tongue to direct the trailer to the hill side instead of over the hill. and yes it was being parked in a hill with just a little bit of an incline we took all the precautions, but the equipment (the plastic wheel chocks that I see lots of others using, didn't hold up
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Chocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
we use our x-chocks before unhooking. when we had the tow trailer, and even now when we unhook our fifth wheel. the trailer won't move. we almost lost a trailer when we unhooked once and it was chocked with the plastic chocks that you place behind. and front of the wheels. the trailer rolled right over them and down a hill. My husband grabbed the tongue and pulled the tongue to direct the trailer to the hill side instead of over the hill. and yes it was being parked in a hill with just a little bit of an incline we took all the precautions, but the equipment (the plastic wheel chocks that I see lots of others using, didn't hold up
Those plastic chocks do good to hold a golf cart. Get the big rubber nes from harbor freight.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

E brake

I pull the tt emergency brake out, the one on the trailer frame' when un hooking. This keeps the tt on the blocks. A little extra security to the wheel chock. Just remember to push the brake pin back in after you un hitch.
waynebas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynebas33 View Post
I pull the tt emergency brake out, the one on the trailer frame' when un hooking. This keeps the tt on the blocks. A little extra security to the wheel chock. Just remember to push the brake pin back in after you un hitch.
you can do that but not sure it's recommended . to each his own when it comes to their own tt's .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you can do that but not sure it's recommended . to each his own when it comes to their own tt's .
X2 I agree please do not do this.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #12

IMO the x-chock is the most secure system for a dual axle trailer and does not need the help of any other chocks,.... the motion of the two wheels is the exact opposite of each other, with any movement one wheel is wanting to go "up" and the other wheel is wanting to go "down",... with two x-chocks snugged in correctly between the tires on each side, the trailer can not move,.... sure, no harm done when adding other chocks, but never have and don't see the need,....

ok, I guess if our site was on a VERY SEVERE slope, maybe I would, but probably not, if it was that SEVERE I'd more likely move to another site or another cg,.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0142.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	119241  

Old 09-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
I hope I am clear.
I would not set jacks until I had blocked wheels,,,
and removed TT from TV !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I would not set jacks until I had blocked wheels,,, and removed TT from TV !!!
X2

Old 09-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

BAL X Chocks are the very first thing installed and tightened when parked and the VERY LAST thing removed before pulling out of campground. I leave them installed even when hooking up and doing a pin pull test. Take them out and then do a trailer brake test and leave.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #16

I recently experienced the same problem while trying to unhitch the TT from my TV. A tech at my RV dealer also suggested leaving the TV in neutral to "relax" the pressure on the ball and coupler. I have not tried this yet and to be honest, it makes me a little nervous thinking about doing it. I understand chocking the wheels on the TT but I camp alone most of the time and am not comfortable with the thought of my TV being in neutral while I'm raising the tongue of the TT off the ball. Not sure what I'm going to do next time I have trouble unhitching, especially if I am alone and my site is uneven, which the tech indicated can make unhitching more challenging.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I recently experienced the same problem while trying to unhitch the TT from my TV. A tech at my RV dealer also suggested leaving the TV in neutral to "relax" the pressure on the ball and coupler. I have not tried this yet and to be honest, it makes me a little nervous thinking about doing it. I understand chocking the wheels on the TT but I camp alone most of the time and am not comfortable with the thought of my TV being in neutral while I'm raising the tongue of the TT off the ball. Not sure what I'm going to do next time I have trouble unhitching, especially if I am alone and my site is uneven, which the tech indicated can make unhitching more challenging.
the idea is not to leave it in neutral,..... if the vehicle has forward force on the coupler, then putting it in neutral for a moment will allow the vehicle to "relax", which should lessen that forward force, .... then you put it back in park, put the brake on and you should have eliminated or at least, greatly reduced that snap when jacking the coupler off the ball,.... , but as has been stated before in this thread, always have your wheels chocked(with regular wedge chocks, blocks, or I would recommend x-chocks if you have dual axles), before jacking your coupler off the ball,.....

Old 09-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #18

Parking mine in my drive, I have found that if I apply the park brake to lock the TV in place before putting the trans in Park has greatly reduced the pop off of the trailer from the ball and the slight bounce to one side.
In my case the TV is facing down an incline.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #19

When parking on an incline we should always set parking brake before shifting to Park,
You will have a lot less tranny trouble !!! That is one of the first things I taught my Girls when they were learning to drive !!! Set brake,,, shift to neutral until brake takes ahold,,, then shift to park !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
DO NOT leave your vehile in neutral when unhitching!

As mentioned, once parked where you are going to unhitch, chock wheels of camper, then get back in tow vehicle, shift to neutral and take foot off brake to relieve pressure on the tow ball, then set parking brake and put vehicle back in park.

NEVER leave your vehicle unattended while shifted into neutral.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer