Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #1

Where to find used 3/4 or 1 ton truck

I am looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to use as a TV. Just want a basic truck (think work truck, XL type trim). Gas or diesel. Prefer <100k miles and 2014 or newer.

I have been doing the search thing on auto trader and Ebay and found many of them, but they all look like they have been work trucks and none are close by. So I started looking at local places and found a few that fit the ticket (one I posted about), but slim picking. And the ones I find locally are not listed on auto trader, which is weird.

Anyway, any other suggestions on where to find a basic 3/4 ton truck so I can pull a trailer?
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #2

Try https://www.edmunds.com/ Enter your zip code and radius

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Have you tried Carmax? Lots of trucks there and if they're not in the local area, they can be shipped in. They may be a bit more there, but you can also sometimes find a gem.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #4

They are out there, but many people are in your boat, looking for used to pull their new trailer around...

I looked, mostly online, radius of 100 miles for about 3 months... found the perfect truck, 2 years old and 30K miles but was one day late as someone else put a deposit on it 12 hours earlier... fortunately his credit fell through and I got a call... check in with used dealers and give them your name and number and what you are looking for.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:56 PM   #5

A lot of (big 3) dealerships will ship the car to you.

I was in the same exact predicament just 3 weeks ago. I widened out the search to 500 miles and found the truck I wanted at a large ford dealership. Called them up and worked a deal and then had them ship it to me for $400.00
Got a 2017 F250 XLT with 49000 on it for 29K + 400 shipping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f250.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	224144  
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
A lot of (big 3) dealerships will ship the car to you.

I was in the same exact predicament just 3 weeks ago. I widened out the search to 500 miles and found the truck I wanted at a large ford dealership. Called them up and worked a deal and then had them ship it to me for $400.00
Got a 2017 F250 XLT with 49000 on it for 29K + 400 shipping
I like your truck!
Old 02-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I like you truck!
Thanks Supercab with the 6.2. Was pretty hard to find a newer supercab but its the only model I wanted
Found it through autotrader 440 miles away. Talked to a salesmen who took a lot of extra pictures for me and even a video. Since I was paying cash I would only deal with a real dealership. Not a buy here pay here place

Getting the B&W hitch put in thursday and camping friday at a county park to de-winterize.
Best of luck with your search, please let us know what you end up with.
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

autotrader.com
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #9

Trucks

Try Carguru. They rate the deal based on options and mileage, after you put in what you are looking for. Just a rough guide. If going diesel, go 1 ton to give you a minimum of 3500 payload. On the Ford diesel go w/ a 6.7. Not sure what year they started. And yes. the 6.0 is a great engine, IF Properly bulletproofed. Big emphasis on Properly. Also by the 6.7 a lot less emission headaches and problems, IMO. There was a improvement on the Duramax 16' or 17' that addressed some fuel system and rod end durability issues. Stay away from anything that has a tuner, unless you have real deep pockets. Any of the big three make good Diesel engines. How they are serviced would be the biggest concern for me.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Try Carguru. They rate the deal based on options and mileage, after you put in what you are looking for. Just a rough guide. If going diesel, go 1 ton to give you a minimum of 3500 payload. On the Ford diesel go w/ a 6.7. Not sure what year they started. And yes. the 6.0 is a great engine, IF Properly bulletproofed. Big emphasis on Properly. Also by the 6.7 a lot less emission headaches and problems, IMO. There was a improvement on the Duramax 16' or 17' that addressed some fuel system and rod end durability issues. Stay away from anything that has a tuner, unless you have real deep pockets. Any of the big three make good Diesel engines. How they are serviced would be the biggest concern for me.
Thanks! I see a lot of white trucks with long beds for sale. I also see a lot of white trucks with long beds pulling around landscaping and work trailers. With the lower trim levels I am looking at, I am concerned that they all lived a hard life as a work truck. Should that be concerning? The few that I have looked at so far are all in great shape inside and out.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #11

Truck?

Last March I bought a 2018 Ford F-350, 6.7 Powerstroke, full crew cab, long bed from HERTZ. They had great trucks to look at. They'll find what you want. Don't know there is a HERTZ lot close to you.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #12

Everyone in Texas has to have a big truck and change them as often as their underwear
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #13

Landscaping

Quote:
Thanks! I see a lot of white trucks with long beds for sale. I also see a lot of white trucks with long beds pulling around landscaping and work trailers. With the lower trim levels I am looking at, I am concerned that they all lived a hard life as a work truck. Should that be concerning? The few that I have looked at so far are all in great shape inside and out.
A landscaping trailer is not heavy. It's almost nothing. I would not avoid a truck that's driven short distances around town with a landscaping trailer.

(For that matter, my daily driver is a former state Highway Patrol Tahoe. Got it with 90,000, now have 160,000 miles. Less than $100 in maintenance parts since then.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #14

I found ours at a local Chevrolet dealership, truck had 8860 miles on it. Got a new truck at a used truck price. It is a Chevrolet 2500HD, Crew Cab, 8ft. bed, 4x4, Duramax diesel, work truck. It is the same truck as the high priced ones, just without all the bells and whistles.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #15

If you can wait until you move there are usually several coming off lease out of Canada for a pretty good price.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #16

Was on the same search last winter. I found the problem around here to be that the SD/HD trucks are in high demand and hold their value. Every time I found one that fit the bill, it was gone almost immediately. But, the initial contact with the dealers did result in the more motivated salesmen contacting me with other trucks they thought I might be interested in. The time invested doing internet searches and emails/phone calls was far less than driving to every lot, not to mention fuel. Be patient and cast a wide net.
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #17

Find somebody who is a wholesale truck dealer/purchaser/seller. I just happened to know a couple of guys in the wholesale truck business when I sold a fleet of all different types of trucks several years ago, but theres a lot of them out there. They are generally individuals or a couple of people in business together who buy fleets of trucks and take them down to the Carolinas (from my area) to sell them to used dealers there. They are more than willing to make a deal before they have to haul them out of state.

Bruce
Old 02-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #18

In 2018 I was looking for a 3/4 ton pickup since we were going to a larger trailer than I felt comfortable towing with my 2012 Tahoe. I was looking at new, considering both gasoline and diesel, although leaning strongly to gasoline. I ended up finding a 2017 2500HD CC Denali at a local GMC dealer with about 5K miles on it. He said that it came from a local guy (even offered me the contact info) who had traded it on a 1/2 ton due to it being easier for him to get in and out of. I ended up paying less for the virtually new Denali than what I would have for a new 2018 WT-level truck.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Find somebody who is a wholesale truck dealer/purchaser/seller. I just happened to know a couple of guys in the wholesale truck business when I sold a fleet of all different types of trucks several years ago, but theres a lot of them out there. They are generally individuals or a couple of people in business together who buy fleets of trucks and take them down to the Carolinas (from my area) to sell them to used dealers there. They are more than willing to make a deal before they have to haul them out of state.

Bruce
My brother was a dealer himself and then was the regional director for a company that ran online dealer auctions. He had so many connections that he could get deals on vehicles before they hit the lots.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #20

Quote:
I am looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to use as a TV. Just want a basic truck (think work truck, XL type trim). Gas or diesel. Prefer <100k miles and 2014 or newer.

I have been doing the search thing on auto trader and Ebay and found many of them, but they all look like they have been work trucks and none are close by. So I started looking at local places and found a few that fit the ticket (one I posted about), but slim picking. And the ones I find locally are not listed on auto trader, which is weird.

Anyway, any other suggestions on where to find a basic 3/4 ton truck so I can pull a trailer?

Have you gone to a local, big dealership that sells new & used vehicles? (cars, trucks, vans, etc).

It was funny, awhile ago I went to a dealership, explained what I needed & wanted in a truck. To my surprise, he stated one was just brought in the day before. It was in the shop being prepped to be sold. He took me out to show it. It was exactly what I was looking for (mileage, options,etc). We talked, got the deal I wanted, gave deposit, and got truck.

It was called being in the right place at the right time.
At time, it wasn't for towing. Different truck now for towing TT.

Good Luck!
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck