Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #1

Which is easier?

Assuming the tow vehicle is within the specs of towing both with no problem, which would pull easier. A travel trailer or a 5th wheel of the same weight?
TravisGSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
J. Parham

In general most people say the 5th wheel tows much better. We just purchased our 5th wheel last October and I have yet made a lengthy trip with it. Towing around town and to and from the storage lot it actually seems to tow much easier than the travel trailer did. Backing is a bit easier, but has taken some getting used to. The one thing on my 5th wheel I don't like is I get what they call chucking. On the few rough roads I have towed on I get shaken a bit. I hope that once I go on a highway trip I find that this is not a problem at the 60mph range.

First planned trip in about 3 weeks!!
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #3

It would depend on what you mean by "easier". A fifth wheel will handle and control better and have better stability than a comparable travel trailer. However, fifth wheels will generally be taller in height than a comparable travel trailer and therefore will present a greater frontal surface area, resulting in more power needed to move them through the air on the flats. Fifth wheels will also have a higher pin weight and require more of the tow vehicle's suspension.

From the feeling from the driver's seat, there is no question the fifth wheel will tow much more comfortably than a travel trailer as long as it is within the tow vehicle's capabilities.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjparham View Post
In general most people say the 5th wheel tows much better. We just purchased our 5th wheel last October and I have yet made a lengthy trip with it. Towing around town and to and from the storage lot it actually seems to tow much easier than the travel trailer did. Backing is a bit easier, but has taken some getting used to. The one thing on my 5th wheel I don't like is I get what they call chucking. On the few rough roads I have towed on I get shaken a bit. I hope that once I go on a highway trip I find that this is not a problem at the 60mph range.

First planned trip in about 3 weeks!!
Please let me know how you did with the chucking/ I am very interested as I just got a F250 and will soon buy a 5er and would like to know if I should get an air 5th hitch? thanks
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #5

I just traded a 3500lb hybrid for a 7200lb fifth wheel and I can say with conviction that a fiver was much better to pull. No 'fish tailing', didn't get the pulling into the lane of passing semi's, just an all in all better towing experience. And believe it or not, I have improved gas mileage towing the fiver.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #6

Any trailer can experience "chucking", fifth or bumper hitch. I don't know if anyone knows exactly why it happens, and only happens sometimes. My bumper hitch trailer experienced it a lot, my new fifth, never. I don't know why.
The fifth's used to pull easier, as they are more of a 'unit', but with the new aerodynamic bumper hitch campers, that may not be the case any longer.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #7

Ditto... 5th wheel pulls much better and after you get used to it will back up with a lot more control. Drawback IMHO is you lose the ability to load up your truck bed, (to an extent) I have 3 kayaks so I need a rack in the truck to haul those.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #8

Fifth wheel pulls better, however when I bought my V lite, they had a fiver with the same floorplan that only had the superslide in the main living area, not in the bedroom, (made the bedroom all bed; no room to walk) and it was 2 feet shorter, and it cost 3,000+ more money AND setting up the truck was triple the cost! Heavier, as well. Went with the V lite trailer, and I have been happy with it. To each his own, I suppose. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have to define EASIER: For one, weight will not have a lot to do with it, as the tow vehicle doesn't know if it has an 8000 pound camper, or a farm tractor on an open trailer. Now aerodynamics and length are another story. Also, it is very hard to find a camper and a 5th wheel of the same weight. Assuming you do, we can throw out weight. Now we have hitching, a 5th wheel is easier, because you can see the pin. Also no leveling bars and sway control to have to hook up. The total length of a 5th wheel set up is shorter than the same length camper, due to hitch placement on the tow vehicle. Generally the frontal area of 5th wheel, is less, but most of it is above the cab. That brings in aerodynamics. A 5th wheel has a much higher pin weight than a camper does tongue weight, so you loose some weight carrying of the tow vehicle. 5th wheel hitches are heavy and bulky, and hard to remove and install in the bed of a truck, (speaking of the removable type), and take more room to store. They both have good and bad points. What is easiest? There is no correct answer to that, as some aspects of one are easier than the other. But then come to think of it, if it was easy, a caveman could do it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote