Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2020, 12:55 AM   #1

Which of these two trucks would be a better tow vehicle for me?

Both trucks are 4x4 regular cab 2007 Silverado 2500's with 8 foot beds. . One is the classic version with cat eye headlights, 6.0 engine, 4 speed automatic and a 4.10 gear ratio. It has 95000 miles on it. The other one is the newer body style with 6 speed automatic and a 6.0 engine, and a 3.73 gear ratio and 83000 miles. I looked up both of these trucks up and the classic version seems to have a little more towing capacity by virtue of it's 4.10 gearing. This truck is a work truck and is very plain without even power windows. I couldn't find rust on either truck. I like the 6 speed auto on the newer body style and the 6.0 engine on that truck seems to have a better hp and torque rating that the classic model. The newer body style truck also has a few more bells and whistles such as power windows. The classic model is priced at 11K while the newer body model is priced at 15K. I'm not sure I can see 4K more value in the newer version, but I really would like to have a 6 speed tranny.
Here's what I'm towing: 2017 Forest River 274RK, 33" 4" long and weighting about 7.5K when loaded up and ready to camp. My hitch weight is about 800 lbs. I would also sometimes be putting either a Polaris RZR 900 (1100 lbs) or a street legal golf cart (800 lbs) in the bed. Only my wife and I would be in the truck, and there's not enough bells and whistles on either one to add significant weight.
What do you think? What's your experience with either or both of these models. All advice is much appreciated.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarianwhs
Librarianwhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:15 AM   #2

Don,

What's the "Cargo Carrying Capacity" of each truck?

This info will be on a sticker on the drivers side door jam along with suggested tires size and pressure. With planning to load the bed of the truck with that equipment, that "Payload number" should be a primary consideration.

If the CCC or Payload number minus the weight of your RZR (since it is the heaviest, your wife and you along with whatever you will be carrying in the truck or bed is still a positive number, your good to go with that payload situation. If one is barely positive and the other had a significant advantage, that's the one I would go with. If they both have a significant amount of payload left, go get the one with the bells and whistles and the 6 speed tranny if that's what you want, which it sounds like you do.

The 4.10 is going to give you more from a standing start torque/acceleration in getting your trailer moving from a stop. The 373 is going to do a fine job as well with that weight trailer, just not as quick off a stop but it should give you better mileage with the 3.73 along with the extra to gears helping you up hills/mountains.

Hope all this helps, good luck in your decision and happy camping.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianwhs View Post
Both trucks are 4x4 regular cab 2007 Silverado 2500's with 8 foot beds. . One is the classic version with cat eye headlights, 6.0 engine, 4 speed automatic and a 4.10 gear ratio. It has 95000 miles on it. The other one is the newer body style with 6 speed automatic and a 6.0 engine, and a 3.73 gear ratio and 83000 miles. I looked up both of these trucks up and the classic version seems to have a little more towing capacity by virtue of it's 4.10 gearing. This truck is a work truck and is very plain without even power windows. I couldn't find rust on either truck. I like the 6 speed auto on the newer body style and the 6.0 engine on that truck seems to have a better hp and torque rating that the classic model. The newer body style truck also has a few more bells and whistles such as power windows. The classic model is priced at 11K while the newer body model is priced at 15K. I'm not sure I can see 4K more value in the newer version, but I really would like to have a 6 speed tranny.
Here's what I'm towing: 2017 Forest River 274RK, 33" 4" long and weighting about 7.5K when loaded up and ready to camp. My hitch weight is about 800 lbs. I would also sometimes be putting either a Polaris RZR 900 (1100 lbs) or a street legal golf cart (800 lbs) in the bed. Only my wife and I would be in the truck, and there's not enough bells and whistles on either one to add significant weight.
What do you think? What's your experience with either or both of these models. All advice is much appreciated.

Neither truck may do what you want because you may be over payload with 1600 to 2000 lbs from pin weight and your “toys” Not including passengers and gear. The 6 speed has A 3343 payload, so you may be ok, but you need to know your weight vs payload for this decision.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:35 AM   #4

Thanks, guys, for the info and advice. I used the figures I got from the VIN decoder which should be pretty specific to that exact truck. I think my payload capacity is going to be at least 3600. I added front and rear axle weights together and then subtracted that from the gross vehicle weight and got 3800 and change. If I figure a couple hundred pounds for odds and ends, that should be about right. If my tongue weight is 800 and my RZR is 1100, that is about 1900. If I figure 400 for me and my wife and about 100 for the hitch, I should still be below 3K total. I'll check the sticker on the door, but remember, this is a lightly optioned regular cab model and is therefore considerably lighter than an extended cab or a crew cab model. If I didn't figure this correctly, I will appreciate being corrected.

Don Williams a.k.a. librarianwhs
Old 02-02-2020, 02:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Neither truck may do what you want because you may be over payload with 1600 to 2000 lbs from pin weight and your “toys” Not including passengers and gear. The 6 speed has A 3343 payload, so you may be ok, but you need to know your weight vs payload for this decision.
I'm not pulling a 5th wheel so I don't have a pin weight, just hitch weight of about 800 lbs. A fiver was out of the question for me because I couldn't haul my toys in the truck bed. Also, whatever truck I buy has to have an 8 foot bed because of the need for my toys. The only gear that goes into the truck bed are the ramps I use to load and unload my toys. Those are aluminum and weigh less than 50 pounds.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #6

the juice

Go with the newer truck...more reliable...more gears...more options....Spend some practice time pulling it, in the wind... parking..backing ....refueling at inaccessible pumps... F250 KingRanch Diesel ( with added rear leaf ) pulling Wolfpack 25 Pack 12
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #7

Incomplete answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
The 4.10 is going to give you more from a standing start torque/acceleration in getting your trailer moving from a stop. The 373 is going to do a fine job as well with that weight trailer, just not as quick off a stop but it should give you better mileage with the 3.73 along with the extra to gears helping you up hills/mountains.
This is really an incomplete answer. You can't really tell which truck has the lowest gear (greatest startup pull) without considering the different transmissions as well as the rear axle ratios. The truck with the 3.73 axle and six-speed tranny might have a really low ratio ("grandma") first-gear.

The overall ratio of first-gear engine rpm to axle rpm is the key. To get it, look up the first-gear ratios for each transmission and multiply by the respective rear axle ratios. The highest resultant number is the lowest gear ratio.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #8

Been there and done that. We had a 2008 GMC Sierra with a 4-speed overdrive and now 2012 Silverado with the 6-speed. The GMC was constantly gear hunting under load-totally annoying. Plus, it would over-rev when cresting a hill. Coaxing it by letting off the gas allowed the trans to shift up as it should have. The 6-speed was a god send, a difference of night and day. We were pulling a fully loaded 7,000 lb cargo trailer with both trucks.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
My hitch weight is about 800 lbs.
I think you are off on hitch weight. The loaded weight of that trailer is probably closer to 9000 lbs and hitch weight over 1100 lbs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
Was

I’d get the one with the 6 speed trans
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was View Post
I’d get the one with the 6 speed trans
Me too. Like Larry said, you have to look at the overall gear ratio too.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:

Are you certain the second one is a 6.0 gasser and not a 6.6 diesel?

That price looks more inline with a diesel truck, which would account for the higher price. And it would make a Much better tow vehicle IMHO.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #13

I think you'd be better off buying my 2009 Sierra 1500, 6.0L, 4 speed, 3.73 gears. $16,000. I need a diesel.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #14
Fla5er

Agree with Douglas Reid: sounds like the newer version may be a diesel, which would be a better truck for you. If it's not a diesel then it's over-priced.
In the event that it is a diesel, then be sure and add a diesel additive to the fuel to acommodate the lower sulphur content in the newer diesel fuels. I always put Stanadyne in my fuel: keeps the injectors clean, ups the cetane level, helps disperse water in the fuel, and so on... Not promoting Stanadyne, but diesel fuel additives are necessary these days.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #15

Quote:

Having owned a 03 6.0 with 4 speed i will say it's vary capable with a tow rating of 10300 and payload of around 3200 . will do the job just fine at 95,000 miles the engine is just getting broken in . the 6 speed is a nice option as is electric window , the 6.0 is a proven engine . i would also think the newer one is a diesel as most 6.0 gasser 2500 came with 4:10 rear ends and the diesels with the 3:73
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I think you are off on hitch weight. The loaded weight of that trailer is probably closer to 9000 lbs and hitch weight over 1100 lbs.
Agreed. This 800 lb hitch weight number is off.

The fictional dry weight is 6,700 lbs. Add 1,500 lbs for factory options, dealer options, gear, cookware, clothes, batteries, food, etc. Figure at least 8,200 lbs rolling down the road. At 13% tongue weight, it's 1,050 lbs on the hitch. Add the toy at 1,000 lbs. Add 350 lbs for a normal, fully clothed couple. Add another 150 lbs for hitch, stuff in the bed, any aftermarket options on the truck, etc.

Thus, the total payload demand will be around 2,550 lbs.

Get a truck that can handle that and enjoy the ride.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Agreed. This 800 lb hitch weight number is off.

The fictional dry weight is 6,700 lbs. Add 1,500 lbs for factory options, dealer options, gear, cookware, clothes, batteries, food, etc. Figure at least 8,200 lbs rolling down the road. At 13% tongue weight, it's 1,050 lbs on the hitch. Add the toy at 1,000 lbs. Add 350 lbs for a normal, fully clothed couple. Add another 150 lbs for hitch, stuff in the bed, any aftermarket options on the truck, etc.

Thus, the total payload demand will be around 2,550 lbs.

Get a truck that can handle that and enjoy the ride.
And with a 2500 gasser regular cab long bed he will be well under max payload . and 8200# for a 6.0 gas is a non issue also
Old 02-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #18

Wow, thanks so much guys for the wealth of advice and information. First, the truck with the 6 speed is definitely a gas powered truck. I think the guy is about 2k too high on it. Second, several of you have recommended a diesel truck. I've used my son in law's Ford 6.0 diesel and I can understand why so many people love their diesels. I love the power of it too, BUT I don't think I can afford the upkeep on a diesel. The oil changes are outrageous. They cost a lot more to buy. The cost of repairs is much much more on a diesel than on a gas truck. I just don't have the cash for a fairly low mileage diesel and I'm afraid that if I get into a situation where I have to do a big repair, I won't be able to handle it. Those who mentioned that my tongue weight might be a more than I estimated may be right, but even so, I think the payload rating on the truck I'm looking at will still be OK for that load. The other thing I'm looking at is the towing capacity of the truck. The classic version of the 2500 (slightly older cat eye body) only specs out at 10,200 lbs towing capacity. I've checked trailer life's towing guide for the newer version truck that came out in 07 (which this truck is) and it says 12700lbs with 3.73 axle. I'm OK with that rating. I would be well within that range even if I choose to upgrade to a slightly larger trailer. I really would like the 6 speed. If my old 99 Dodge 2500 8.0 had a six speed auto or even a 5 speed manual transmission I would probably keep it. The 8.0 has amazing power for a gas truck, but the 4 speed transmission which really allows me only 3 speeds when towing is not up to the job in my opinion.

Again, thanks so much for your advice and information.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:42 AM   #19

Just an update in my search for a tow vehicle. I went and looked again at the 2 2007 trucks I had originally posted about. Both of them had much more rust than I had originally thought. I don't want a rust bucket. I have decided I want to look at trucks newer than the 2 I've been looking at. This evening I drove a 2015 Siverado 3500 crew cab long bed 4x4. It has LT trim which is several nice options but not top of the line. The interior is cloth and the driver seat is 10 way power adjustable. This truck has the best service records of any truck I've looked at. It is one owner and he has been meticulous about changing all fluids including differentials, transfer case, engine, transmission and even power steering. The drawback is that the truck has 177K miles on it. The interior doesn't show it and it drives flawlessly. I really like this truck. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 2014 Ford F250 XL. It is regular cab 4x4 and has 87K miles on it. This truck will be very different from the Chevy. It is much more plain, but it has less than half the miles on it. I've seen some of the service records on it and they're not bad but nothing like the care given to the chevy. We'll see how it goes. Again I Thank all of you for the wonderful advice you have given me.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #20

So a well cared for chevy with 177,000 not bad or a ford with 87,000 . i say pretty equal lol . with the 6.0 gas plenty of miles left though with a crew cab LB really chewing into the power to weight ratio

Tags
tow vehicle, truck