Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 01:26 AM   #1

Which WDH to buy

I am buying a new Forest River Vibe 26RK special ordered from the factory which is 33 ft long and will be picking it up from the dealer in a few days. I have a 2018 2500 HD Duramax Diesel so I know I have plenty of truck. My question is what is the favored WDH brand. I have been considering the Curt Trutrack 17500 which is rated 8-10K and my TT loaded will be around 7500lb. I also hear good things about the Equalizer brand. I would like to hear what people think about what is the better brands to buy. I won't be getting the type that uses chains for tension I will prefer a better WDH that has sway control incorporated into the design. Thanks.
TC of NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Love my 4 point Equal-i-zer and it's been trouble free for over 15 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #3

Blue Ox SwayPro is a awesome WDH..
Old 10-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #4

You will get lots of opinions to this question. I probably have 15,000 miles of towing now with my Andersen WDH and it has been an excellent choice. Absolutely zero sway even in high Kansas winds, no grease to mess with, and it is very light and quick for easy hookup and disconnects. Your expected hitch weight appears to be 790 lbs which is well within the Andersen capability.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Love my 4 point Equal-i-zer and it's been trouble free for over 15 years.
X2
Our Equal-i-zer is awesome! No issues, easy to hookup. We have over 22K on it with no problems.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC of NC View Post
I am buying a new Forest River Vibe 26RK special ordered from the factory which is 33 ft long and will be picking it up from the dealer in a few days. I have a 2018 2500 HD Duramax Diesel so I know I have plenty of truck. My question is what is the favored WDH brand. I have been considering the Curt Trutrack 17500 which is rated 8-10K and my TT loaded will be around 7500lb. I also hear good things about the Equalizer brand. I would like to hear what people think about what is the better brands to buy. I won't be getting the type that uses chains for tension I will prefer a better WDH that has sway control incorporated into the design. Thanks.
Check your owners manual. I'm pretty confident it is the same for 2017-2108 but you should check anyway...

Chevy short bed 3/4 tons in 2017 don't require a WDH until 1500lbs on the tongue. Long beds go all the way to the limit of the receiver (2000lbs). Your truck was tested to show that 1500lbs does not affect handling in a meaningful way.

Sway control is a band-aid for a trailer that is not set up properly or one that is poorly designed (too much weight behind the rear trailer axle and or too little tongue weight). Sway doesn't just happen it is induced and then an oscillation occurs because of axle placement on the trailer and where the weight is in reference to those axles. When a properly loaded trailer encounters the force that can trigger an oscillation it does little more than a push in one direction because the weight is not in a position to cause pendulum affect. Its simple really but requires understanding.

I don't use a WDH or sway control and pull a heavier trailer than you. If I were you I would load that trailer so that all the weight is forward of the trailer axle and test it out. No chance I would waste the money or deal with the hassle of a WDH if I didn't need too.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #7

Another vote for the Equalizer. I’ve never owned one, but I do sometimes recommend someone look at the Andersen IF they don’t need a lot of weight distribution and they would have an issue with the weight of an Equalizer. I’m also biased toward buying American made- especially on things like hitches where strength is important and there’s not really any benefit to buying the foreign made product other than a small cost savings.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #8

another one for the 4-point Equalizer. Works great
Old 10-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC of NC View Post

I see now that you do not want the chain style WDH. Sorry for missing that. As an FYI, the Anderson sway control is built into the design. If for no other reason than curiosity, you might find the way the Andersen accomplishes the sway control to be interesting.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #10

Love my 4-point equalizer. If it got stolen I'd buy another one.
Charlie
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdriver View Post
You will get lots of opinions to this question. I probably have 15,000 miles of towing now with my Andersen WDH and it has been an excellent choice. Absolutely zero sway even in high Kansas winds, no grease to mess with, and it is very light and quick for easy hookup and disconnects. Your expected hitch weight appears to be 790 lbs which is well within the Andersen capability.
I concur ; Andersen WDH , incredibly light , easy to use virtually noise free .

2016 Ram 1500 4X4 ( 3.92 / 5.7 Hemi )

Andersen Hitch
johnnyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdriver View Post
I see now that you do not want the chain style WDH. Sorry for missing that. As an FYI, the Anderson sway control is built into the design. If for no other reason than curiosity, you might find the way the Andersen accomplishes the sway control to be interesting.
I thought he was referring to " chain style " as in placing & adjusting chains to the bars. The Andersen "chains" work in a similar fashion to the bars. Check out the Andersen pages : https://andersenhitches.com

2016 Ram 1500 4X4 ( 3.92 / 5.7 Hemi )

Andersen Hitch
johnnyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #13

I think the anderson would be great for his setup. Very light at about 65 pounds and seems to work well for people who use it.
ardakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
wjo

Anderson easiest ever used works well
wjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #15

Got an Andersen when we got a new Grey Wolf 23MK trailer. Love it, even pulling the trailer with a 1500 Ram pickup, no sway, plenty of weight distribution.
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #16

Anderson for sure, When I use it. Other wise I use the B & W tow and stow..
guyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #17

TC of NC,

I think there is a lot of flim-flam in the entire RV business... just to separate consumers from their hard-earned money. Hitches are certainly no exception.

At the risk of calling somebody's 'baby' ugly, all proper weight distribution hitches work the same to distribute weight, no matter what you spend.

This is true because most are designed on the same principle. They all require you to adjust spring-bars (or spring 'rubber') to spring-load the truck rear upwards to counteract trailer weight on the ball. They are really weight re-adjustment hitches rather than sway preventers. Some binding (more-or-less) may inadvertently reduce sway somewhat. In your case, your heavy duty truck is probably suitable to largely control sway all by itself, if you don't need to lighten your rear axle weight otherwise.

If you do need rear weight reduction and it were up to me, I would buy an 'EAZ LIFT 48058 1,000 lbs Elite' ($287) which I've bought twice in the past. For the money, it has a 1000 lb hitch weight recommendation with a total 10k trailer rate and works exactly as stated. It uses a separate replaceable 'brake-shoe' to damp sway with friction (if it is a problem), unlike some rather over-priced units which use dry assembly friction that not only squeaks, but wears main metal-to-metal parts (like the bars themselves). However the simple EAZ Lift uses chains for swing-flexibility which might be what you are trying to avoid. Is there any specific reason you do not like chains?

For something alternate, and if I were willing to spend more money, I would seriously consider the Andersen hitch ($550), just like some posters recommended, because of no bar grease mess and remarkable ease of camp storage. The ball will still be messy. The long, heavy and greasy spring bars of all other types are a nuisance to store once you arrive at the campsite. The Andersen looks way more compact than any other.

Some Andersen sway damping is taken care of by the tension rubber because rubber has a natural internal friction and some additional friction is per ball-pin/bushing twisting. It does appear, however, that tension must always be tediously adjusted(?) by a fair amount of 'nut-turning' each time it is installed (needs a deep socket and lithium drill, I suppose). There are other unique complaints on Amazon.

Previously, I mentioned most are designed the same way, springs and using friction for damping. Some exceptions to friction are the Hensley, the Pro-Pride 3P and the PullRite TT hitches. The first two, a design by Jim Hensley, use a brilliant, simple, but hard to fathom, geometry projection linkage to force the TT to stay in line with the rear truck axle. The PullRite uses direct geometry. All of these are designed to eliminate sway altogether.

With these premium hitches, any side-wind at most actually moves the whole rig sideways like a rigid motorhome rather than bending it at the hitch-point. While the first two Hensley designs use a trapezoid linkage to project a 'new virtual ball-point', the PullRite actually remounts the actual TT hitch pivot point very near the center of the rear truck axle. They are not cheap.

They all work on a principle that prevents the long rear truck overhang leverage from allowing the TT to sway the rear of the truck. They do this by giving the truck more geometric leverage, primarily by putting the 'ball-point' between the tires rather than out on the end of the frame. Most remarkably, these hitches achieve anti-sway essentially equal or superior to a 5th wheel with the 5vr pin also centered right on the rear axle centerline. None of these last three 'geometry hitches' rely on friction to eliminate sway; they rely only on correctly projected, or directly correct geometry.

TRIVIA
I first used a Hensley/Pro-Pride custom hybrid assembly with our first TT (29'+). I used it because I got a reasonable deal on it and I had an exceptionally small truck, a Mazda (like a Ford Ranger), and because I only moved it a few miles at slow speeds the first year, as planned. Then some friends wanted to go 100+ miles the next year. This little truck only weighed in at about 4k pounds wet and sway was a real concern at higher speeds. I first thought I could just travel back roads at slower speeds, but it was sometimes impossible to avoid the interstate which at least required a V8 engine for hills (no V6 Eco-Boost back then). Very shortly, I used a 3/4 ton Ford Excursion with a V10, about 7k pounds.

After the truck upgrade, the Hensley became a nuisance to connect sometimes (no ball, you have to precisely slide a square bar into a square hole) so I went back to the EAZ Lift which was much simpler to connect... just drop the ball on. I sold the first EAZ Lift with the first TT so bought a new one for the second TT. Because of the greater weight of the Excursion truck, I didn't use sway brake attachment, but still, it rode better with the WD bars. The second EAZ Lift eventually went with the second TT. I still have the Hensley/ProPride hybrid.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #18
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls5150 View Post
Blue Ox SwayPro is a awesome WDH..
X2

Any should work with the 3/4 ton, I would suggest any of them that have integrated sway control.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #19

We love our Equalizer 4 point WDH! Best decision we made.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #20

Another vote for the Anderson. Any who is adjusting the tension nuts each time did not read thier manual. The only time I make adjustments is if I significantly change the load in my trailer or bed.

I also agree with the posters wondering if you even need a WDH with your truck. As for sway, unless your TT axles are really far forward leaving a large portion of your trailer behind them you should be able to load so you do not experience sway.

Try your trailer out before buying a WDH. If its comfortable for you, no need for one. If not, then you can buy one.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote