Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
510Rick, in your case, "for safety's sake" mean using the WDH for the sway control, not so much because of the weight. Pulling a flatbed trailer is quite a bit different than a TT where sway is concerned. As KingFisher said, you're pulling a (3 dimensional) billboard with a TT.

If you only have one sway control arm, install a second one. That will help, but if the wind is really strong, you still may need to park it until the wind dies down.
I totally agree . If I didnt have to get my stepson from his fathers house by a certain time I would have stopped for dinner and waited for the wind to subside a little.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #22

[QUOTE=510Rick;1506158]I think that was the case I was just hoping someone had a secret set up that really helped lol[/QUOTE

I moved from a white knuckle trailer ( Wind, Trucks) to a fifth wheel, keep forgetting it's there.
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #23

They are expensive but we have used a "Hensley Arrow" hitch for many years and on four different trailers. Never had an issue with wind. In fact we have passed another trailer laying on it's side in the Mojave Dessert due to high winds. I will admit that we rarely drive over 60 mph. The hooking-up and unhooking with a "Hensley Arrow" takes a bit of getting used to but have we nothing but praise for it's anti-sway performance (there just isn't any). Have also found it unbelievably fantastic if you are ever required to swerve suddenly, as we have had to do on a few occasions. Once, just outside Portland, OR, we were forced to make a full emergency stop! All wheels locked-up on both TV & TT and tires a smokin'! The TT stayed right behind, never swayed or attempted to jack-knife a bit! Also, Hensley is a fantastic company to deal with! Get a Hensley Arrow and trailer sway will be a thing of the past!

STATEMENT: I do not work for, or have any financial interest in Hensley Mfg.

kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #24
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdelan View Post
They are expensive but we have used a "Hensley Arrow" hitch for many years and on four different trailers. Never had an issue with wind. In fact we have passed another trailer laying on it's side in the Mojave Dessert due to high winds. I will admit that we rarely drive over 60 mph. The hooking-up and unhooking with a "Hensley Arrow" takes a bit of getting used to but have we nothing but praise for it's anti-sway performance (there just isn't any). Have also found it unbelievably fantastic if you are ever required to swerve suddenly, as we have had to do on a few occasions. Once, just outside Portland, OR, we were forced to make a full emergency stop! All wheels locked-up on both TV & TT and tires a smokin'! The TT stayed right behind, never swayed or attempted to jack-knife a bit! Also, Hensley is a fantastic company to deal with! Get a Hensley Arrow and trailer sway will be a thing of the past!

STATEMENT: I do not work for, or have any financial interest in Hensley Mfg.

I figured someone would come along and suggest an expensive Hensley or Propride eventually. While I accept that they probably are an improvement in managing sway over high end WDHs like the Equal-i-zer, Blue Ox SwayPro and Reese Dual Cam, personally, I don't know that I could ever justify the cost. I'd probably move up to a 5er before shelling out that kind of money.

All their promotional videos show how they deal with sway induced by emergency maneuvers, not high winds. In high wind situations like the OP is describing, and like in the video that I posted a link to, I doubt that even those ultra-expensive anti-sway systems would be able to prevent the TT from tipping over.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #25

I also had a Hensley Arrow when I pulled a travel trailer. That was the only hitch that I could use and keep control of my camper. Two years ago I traded the TT for a 5th wheel and sold the Hensley to one of my brothers. While I don't have the problems with the wind with the 5th wheel that I did with the TT, I still experienced some very high winds when we went to the grand canyon. I had to slow down to 45 and 50 mph on several occasions. I have even seen and heard of high winds turning over trailer (campers and truckers). As others have said on here, you must drive safely when in bad weather conditions, no matter what you are pulling. I have pulled into a rest stop or wherever I could when the weather got too bad and I will do it again. I would rather arrive late than not at all.

Have fun and be safe.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #26

We were on a 5,000 mile trip a while back and did great until we got to Kansas and ran for about 4 hours with a 25-30 MPH cross wind. White knuckles and worst pulling we ever had, and I have been in and out of mountain passes, areas where they have wind warnings posted, etc. Check your sway control to see if you can turn it up a little, but you may just want to sit it out somewhere like some have suggested. Coming into Deming NM last year from Phoenix and the weather channel was forecasting 45-60 MPH winds for the next day; we stayed put all day! The TT still swayed and rocked, but at least we were not in a ditch. I always add an extra day to a long trip for just this kind of event.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #27

Quote:
I doubt that even those ultra-expensive anti-sway systems would be able to prevent the TT from tipping over.
I don't know that Hensley is purdy heavy[emoji12]

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #28

You might also consider a goose neck hitch. Using the bumper to tow is IMO not near as good as having the load point over the rear axle. Having done bumper tow and fifth wheel, there is no comparison, especially on a windy day.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #29

I hope you weren't serious about going 80 MPH. If it's too windy for 65 then slow down to 55. What's your hurry? You are supposed to be enjoying yourself.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV View Post
I also had a Hensley Arrow when I pulled a travel trailer. That was the only hitch that I could use and keep control of my camper. Two years ago I traded the TT for a 5th wheel and sold the Hensley to one of my brothers. While I don't have the problems with the wind with the 5th wheel that I did with the TT, I still experienced some very high winds when we went to the grand canyon. I had to slow down to 45 and 50 mph on several occasions. I have even seen and heard of high winds turning over trailer (campers and truckers). As others have said on here, you must drive safely when in bad weather conditions, no matter what you are pulling. I have pulled into a rest stop or wherever I could when the weather got too bad and I will do it again. I would rather arrive late than not at all.

Have fun and be safe.
X2 on rest stops...
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #31

I went to a Hensley hitch because of high winds. My wife's family lives in Enid Ok. They put wind farms all around that town. I tried every with my setup. They Hensley sure fixed the problem. Over kill probably does it work yes. But a 5th wheel will do the same thing. You can find used Hensley all over the place. They are totally rebuildable.
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #32

I went back to the plain hitch, my dodge w/diesel needs weight on rear axle, without wdh front bumper rise on coupling<½ inch. With wdh back tires not carrying enough weight and spin easy, been couple thousand miles long hauls all conditions, prefer no wdh, jmo. Best
tlhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #33

Quote:
I figured someone would come along and suggest an expensive Hensley or Propride eventually. While I accept that they probably are an improvement in managing sway over high end WDHs like the Equal-i-zer, Blue Ox SwayPro and Reese Dual Cam, personally, I don't know that I could ever justify the cost. I'd probably move up to a 5er before shelling out that kind of money.

All their promotional videos show how they deal with sway induced by emergency maneuvers, not high winds. In high wind situations like the OP is describing, and like in the video that I posted a link to, I doubt that even those ultra-expensive anti-sway systems would be able to prevent the TT from tipping over.
I also tow with the Propride. Major difference from my other WDH! The Hensley/Propride hitches absolutely work as advertised. Worth every penny
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #34

being a retired over the road trucker, my philosophy is when it's real windy and there is an high profile vehicle warning posted... Put it in a truck stop and take a nap or in the case of an RV, stealth camp.

No point in having 'white knuckles ' or sweaty palms.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #35

TT or fifth wheel, if the winds (especially crosswind) approach 30mph sustained, we change our plans or pull over till they subside. Part of RVing is watching the weather
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #36

We watch the local weather when we travel.In the southwest they have codes and you best pay attention,Breezy.means proceed with caution at moderate speed..Windy means that you are risking death.Getting there is not worth dying for .
JR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:12 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

As others stated, you are towing a giant sail. Winds will not be fun. Slow down or park it. If semis are getting blown around then you will too no matter what hitch you have. As for the speed factor... check your tires they are likely rated only to 65 mph. Going 80 mph greatly increases your chance of catastrophic blow out. Slow down, stay safe.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #38

Thanks for all the great reply's and suggestions . I think I was just being a weenie .lol.

I do want a 5th wheel but we ride dirtbikes and I dont want a toyhauler so I'm not ready to sacrifice the bed space just yet . I am sensitive to the smell of gas and every toy hauler I have been in I can smell gas so for now thats out .

I am going to look into an additional sway bar to help when its windy .I will make some adjustments and maybe put a little more gear in the trailer for some extra weight .

Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
As others stated, you are towing a giant sail. Winds will not be fun. Slow down or park it. If semis are getting blown around then you will too no matter what hitch you have. As for the speed factor... check your tires they are likely rated only to 65 mph. Going 80 mph greatly increases your chance of catastrophic blow out. Slow down, stay safe.
hahaha I dont go that fast with the TT 65 mph is my happy place I dont trust the little 14 inch wheels on the TT ..If Im pushing it its going to be with the flat bed equipped with 8lug HD axles and LT rated truck tires loaded with my little toyota hunting truck . AND NO FAMILY ON BOARD

Old 05-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhoyle View Post
I went back to the plain hitch, my dodge w/diesel needs weight on rear axle, without wdh front bumper rise on coupling<½ inch. With wdh back tires not carrying enough weight and spin easy, been couple thousand miles long hauls all conditions, prefer no wdh, jmo. Best
I had a similar situation once. I still used a WDH, but with hardly any weight on the bars. This setup helped settle the rig more when you hit big dips in the road. When I had a fifth wheel and a 3500, I would load the bed of the truck with gear or put a few solid concrete blocks across the back of the bed. Even though I had 2300lb pin weight, I still wasn't down on the helpers. A couple hundred pounds more made the ride much better.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote