Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #61

What NMWildcat said … we've run gassers for years with the fuel nozzle on the end of the hose of the in bed tank. When needed, just stick it in the OEM fuel tank filler and pump away. Kansas State Trooper has stood right next to my old gasser truck and never blinked an eye.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #62

In the ten years that I have been using my 100 gallon fuel tank not once have I been asked by law enforcement what I have in the tank. I have a 12 volt pump with a nozzle in plain sight. As forgetful as I am I couldn’t use a electric fuel pump to fill up my main tank riding on the road. I have to stop every so often as my bladder seems to fill up rather quickly these days so the 12 volt pump works great for me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #63

I added a 60 gal. auxiliary diesel tank to the bed of my truck, it is gravity fed to the filler hose of truck and controlled by a simple manual on/off valve. When factory mounted tank gets down to 1/4 tank or less, I open the valve on auxiliary tank and continue driving until factory tank is full again. If it overfills, no worry, nothing spills out and it does not harm the truck. It is rare that I fill up at a overpriced truck stop, usually fill up at the end of the day after dropping 5th wheel at campsite.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #64

Gas at diesel pumps

Probably not the right place for this but one of my major frustrations and stress points is fueling up. I have a 28DBH Grey Wolf and a crew cub F150. Overall lrlength around 52’ bumper to bumper. Finding gas stations I can get In and out of can be difficult. I thought truck stops were the answer but even there the gas pumps can be a pain. Every place seems to have some type of fast food outlet with parking tight against the pumps.

Is there a reason you don’t see gas at diesel islands?. That would be much more RV friendly and in my experience it’s rare when the diesel islands are full of trucks.
ehlenrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlenrg View Post
Probably not the right place for this but one of my major frustrations and stress points is fueling up. I have a 28DBH Grey Wolf and a crew cub F150. Overall lrlength around 52’ bumper to bumper. Finding gas stations I can get In and out of can be difficult. I thought truck stops were the answer but even there the gas pumps can be a pain. Every place seems to have some type of fast food outlet with parking tight against the pumps.

Is there a reason you don’t see gas at diesel islands?. That would be much more RV friendly and in my experience it’s rare when the diesel islands are full of trucks.
This is the perfect place for your comment. That’s why I asked..... I’m in the same boat as you are. I don’t have a diesel so I find the same. I’ve had to pass up gas stations because for one reason or another I can’t fit. If the pumps are at least parallel to the store I have a chance. Most pumps are looking straight at the store. Makes getting out an issue if the parking in front is tight.
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #66

We all have our comfort zones. Here in the Plains States I double tow right at 68' total ... yeah I know 3' over legal. Pick your fuel stops as in pull thrus right off the main hiway or try to use the outer fuel islands if they are perpendicular to the roadway. You may have to wait for another fast food customer or two to clear out in front of you to make your turn after fueling up, but it usually doesn't take long. Make sure you are full before hooking up ... that way you may not need to fuel up before getting to the campground. Top off again before hitching back up when leaving the campground.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:35 AM   #67

I tow a 38' 5th wheel and I try to always fuel when the camper is disconnected. I do have diesel but that still makes it hard to get into the smaller fuel stations. I always fuel up the day before we are to leave to go to our next CG and I try to plan our camping stops so that I still have fuel left when we reach our next CG. But if we are on a long trip I do carry two extra 5 galleons of diesel just incase. I also plan my stops and then I check to see what fuel is located close to the CG. This is just the way I travel I know it is not the same for everyone but it works for us.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #68

Last year in Sept a hurricane hit Houston and all of a sudden it was difficult to locate open gas stations around my area of Texas. I was going camping and I knew I could get where I was going on a tank of gas, but I could not get back. I filled three 5 gallon cans and carried them with me. Once I got to my campsite, I dumped them in the tank. One evening my son wanted to run to town to the Dairy Queen, so we drove into town. While we were at the DQ I looked over and a tanker truck pulled into a station and was filling the tanks. I drove over there and I was about third in line. I topped off and was good to go. But, I did not want to leave home not knowing if I could buy gas or not.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #69

All good reasons to have a extra fuel tank. Google Transfer Flow extra fuel tanks. They have a 12 volt pump with extra long leads to hook to the battery on your truck. When done filling up truck just disconnect the 12 volt line and you are ready to go. I have alligator clips on my leads for negative and positive that way I just temporarily clamp to the battery. Works like a charm for me. Normally I can find fuel cheaper off the interstate. When I camp for the night I use GasBuddy to find the cheapest fuel. I like not going into truckstops
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas