Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #1

Why are WDH's so noisy?

Camp hosting this summer and I have questions for travelers with WDH's on their tow behind. Full disclosure - I have never had a tow behind nor have used a WDH. Noticed that a majority of the units I have helped park or guide into their sites make severe groaning and squeaking noises when making turns or stopping quickly when approaching a site. Why is this and is this an inherited trait of WDH's. Some of this noise is really alarming IMO.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

A little grease where the bars attach to the hitch solves that problem.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #3

WDH hitches prevent sway by using friction between the bars and pads (not sure about chain types)

Many say to grease the bars... ironically doing so reduces the anti-sway capability of the WDH. Your supposed to grease the pivot points in the head of the hitch, but not the bars. The picture below shows the instructions for my hitch, notice the manufacturer does not say to grease the bars.

TLDR: Bar type WDH, like the Equalizer, use friction between the bars and the pad/bracket and can be noisy as the bars are not supposed to be greased.Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ_Infographic_HitchLube_2019.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	259320
Old 07-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
WDH hitches prevent sway by using friction between the bars and pads (not sure about chain types)

Many say to grease the bars... ironically doing so reduces the anti-sway capability of the WDH. Your supposed to grease the pivot points in the head of the hitch, but not the bars. The picture below shows the instructions for my hitch, notice the manufacturer does not say to grease the bars.

TLDR: Bar type WDH, like the Equalizer, use friction between the bars and the pad/bracket and can be noisy as the bars are not supposed to be greased.Attachment 259320
Exactly. You just said it better than me. I also have an Equalizer.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #5

Andersen hitches are quiet. No moaning and groaning on turns or backing up.
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #6

The Blue Ox hitches do not make any sounds and you don't have to disconnect them when backing up.
Steve Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:

TLDR: Bar type WDH, like the Equalizer, use friction between the bars and the pad/bracket and can be noisy as the bars are not supposed to be greased.Attachment 259320

Actually, a WDH is for distributing the weight; which can sometimes help with sway. There are some with sway control built in, but not all of them. A basic WDH can have one or two ears on it for attaching friction sway bars.

In regards to the noise, my previous WDH sounded like an out of tune banjo until I put a little grease on the bars.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #8

Older weight distribution hitch design has metal rubbing on metal under torsion pressure where the bars are installed in the hitch that is hard to keep lubricated. The noise may be disconcerting but it causes no harm. Newer designs such as Blue Ox and others have this area enclosed in a tube that can be greased to eliminate the noise.

I find the groaning to be helpful because people give you a wide berth while you are backing up (more so than even a backup alarm on you vehicle).
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #9

Yes.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #10

E2 hitch noise abatement

We use a hitch and ball lube on the hitch ball and the trailer coupling that hooks over it. We bought the optional plastic covers for the points where the hitch torsion bars slide over the friction points on the trailer. The other place we lubricate is the bearing surfaces near the hitch, that allow the torsion bars to swing/rotate. Friction on those latter points is not desirable, but does create most of the noise.

Our tow vehicle has built-in sway control that uses selective wheel braking if it detects trailer sway. I assume that the e2 provides some measure of sway control as well.

I don't know what type of WDH does not allow reversing, but the Fastway e2 does not interfere with reversing or backing up. Is that the case with the WDHs that use chains?
Old 07-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
Camp hosting this summer and I have questions for travelers with WDH's on their tow behind. Full disclosure - I have never had a tow behind nor have used a WDH. Noticed that a majority of the units I have helped park or guide into their sites make severe groaning and squeaking noises when making turns or stopping quickly when approaching a site. Why is this and is this an inherited trait of WDH's. Some of this noise is really alarming IMO.

Dave
Simply put, when loaded, a WDH is a "mechanical lever" constantly at work.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:40 PM   #12

These don't hurt the sway control and stop the noise
Sway Bracket Jackets for Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Systems ... $19.73 From etrailer
2013 Honda F6B
530 Watts Solar roof Mt, 2000 watt Sine Wave Inverter Goodyear Endurance
89 days camped 2019, 81 days in 2020, 74 days 2021, 103 days 2022
Bob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:

The eqilizer brand has instructions on lubing the bars. When I had a bumper pull, I lubed the L brackets. The noise level was reduced and I experienced zero increase in sway.
However, greasing the ball was more effective in reducing the noise.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #14

Hitch Clamp

I added a Hitch Clamp and it eliminates all the movement and noise.. works great.. (works on all hitches)... see:
https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Tigh...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #15

I lube my spring bar heads where they insert into the WDH head. No moaning, groaning or creaking. The only thing that moans is the anti-sway friction bar. However, I discovered that it was dirt and dust in the assembly that caused the problem. Add a little rain and when we turned, it sounded like a giant door on a haunted house loudly creaking open. All that was missing was the ominous "Heh, heh, heh" in a baritone voice and a woman shrieking in terror!
I disassembled the anti-sway bar and cleaned it up with a soft bristle brush and some water. Once dry, I reassembled it and the "haunted house" sounds went away, and the anti-sway bar worked just fine!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #16

Because there are large forces at work there. That's how they do what they are supposed to do.

I usually drop my bars real quick before backing in and leave them off when leaving until I get to straight area near exit.

Problem solved.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
Actually, a WDH is for distributing the weight; which can sometimes help with sway. There are some with sway control built in, but not all of them. A basic WDH can have one or two ears on it for attaching friction sway bars.

In regards to the noise, my previous WDH sounded like an out of tune banjo until I put a little grease on the bars.
Correct, not all WDH have sway control.

The Equalizer WDH I have is advertises as having "4 point sway control". I know the trailer stays planted behind my truck... however my truck is dually, so I can't say how much work the Equalizer is doing versus my truck just keeping it planted in place.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #18

Properly adjusting the hitch minimizes noise. FYI, equalizer says to NOT lube the L brackets, only lube the bar pivot points on the hitch head.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:44 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Properly adjusting the hitch minimizes noise. FYI, equalizer says to NOT lube the L brackets, only lube the bar pivot points on the hitch head.
Yep!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #20
MCTroy

We tow with an old WDH. Maybe a Reese or Anderson as we really don't remember. It will groan occasionally but not that much. We found if the truck and trailer are level the hitch is quite. No need to over tighten anything but raising the WDH higher. We have the old chains and know just how many to count up. We added a sway bar just for added security while in high winds or bad weather. That is the only piece that has to be loosened when backing.
Our WDH doesn't make as much noise as a diesel pusher pulling in or a 5er getting dropped in the bed of a truck. Ouch!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote