Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #1

Wind Deflector - Do they work?

Thinking about trying one of these, has anyone had any experience with it and does it increase mpg. See attachment.

Website is https://www.icondirect.com/categorie...rs/AeroShield/
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Thinking about trying one of these, has anyone had any experience with it and does it increase mpg. See attachment.

Website is https://www.icondirect.com/categorie...rs/AeroShield/
Various devices similar to this have been around for decades. They rose in popularity initially but i can't recall seeing any lately.

Most of what i read over the years said that the users didn't see any measureable gains and at best just moved the bug splats higher on the trailer.

If you look at the aerodynamic designs od tractor/trailer rigs you'll notice the tractor fairings go back as close as possible to the trailer (and still allow for turns) as well as being as high and wide as the trailer.

From the looks of this device it may only increase turbulence between tow vehicle and trailer. That will most likely just make things worse.

IMHO it would take a major increase in fuel mileage to justify the $400-$500 cost.

I realize there's a coin shortage so take my $0.02 in the form of an IOU.[emoji41]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #3

I would agree with TitanMike, I recently saw one but was going the opposite direction, so I couldn't ask the driver about it, But for the $ and the risk of doing stuff to the top of the tv, Also the reviews weren't that great on how its attached.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #4

Will never pay for it self in fuel savings . I had one and it did good keeping love bugs off of trailer . Would I take one if they gave it to me , no !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #5

Yea, just curious cause I noticed my mpg increases a little when I put my canoe on top. With the open bed truck and the flat front of the TT. The air is hitting a flat wall. I suspect fifth wheels are a little more efficient in that regard. The wind deflector may work better on it. Oh well, so it's not worth it. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
Site Team

Trucking companies use them in certain instances because they increase fuel mileage between 1% and 2%. For the normal personal vehicle there isn't enough savings to ever pay for it, but for trucking companies 1% to 2% can amount to several hundred thousand dollars savings a year.

You'll also see on those trailers that they have skirts between the tractor wheels and the trailer wheels and some even have foldable air foils mounted to the rear doors.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Yea, just curious cause I noticed my mpg increases a little when I put my canoe on top. With the open bed truck and the flat front of the TT. The air is hitting a flat wall. I suspect fifth wheels are a little more efficient in that regard. The wind deflector may work better on it. Oh well, so it's not worth it. Thanks.

A bit of turbulence can result in an improvement in MPG. I recall an episode of Myth Busters that looked at the value of removing a trucks tailgate or leaving the bed open while driving. Removing helped because of the weight reduction. Leaving it down actually caused a decrease in MPG because of the way air flowed over the truck. With the tailgate up, a vortex setup in the truck bed that directed a lot of airflow past the truck bed. Also I recall reading that they put a "knobby" coating on submarines to cause a bit of turbulence along the hull. The turbulence improves water flowing across the hull. So your canoes may just have been causing enough turbulence to help.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
A bit of turbulence can result in an improvement in MPG. I recall an episode of Myth Busters that looked at the value of removing a trucks tailgate or leaving the bed open while driving. Removing helped because of the weight reduction. Leaving it down actually caused a decrease in MPG because of the way air flowed over the truck. With the tailgate up, a vortex setup in the truck bed that directed a lot of airflow past the truck bed. Also I recall reading that they put a "knobby" coating on submarines to cause a bit of turbulence along the hull. The turbulence improves water flowing across the hull. So your canoes may just have been causing enough turbulence to help.

Many years ago was discussing this with an Avionics engineer, old school WW2 vet, extremely knowledgeable. He told me that unless you decrease frontal area, you won't see noticeable improvement. Oh I failed to mention, he was on the SR71 Blackbird design team at Lockheed Burbank!
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #9

I tried one out several years ago just because it was nearly given to me by the previous owner. On an F350 Ford dually it did absolutely nothing for fuel mileage, but it did keep most of the bugs off the middle of the front cap ... Ha! If you look at the pickup and semi installs ... the semi installs do cover most all the front of a trailer ... pickup installs don't come close.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #10

I got one of the wings back in 2000, painted it to match my truck, made a custom mount to keep it off my roof and went on a 1200 mile trip. If it boosted my mpg’s I never saw it. Just my experience.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
If you ever come to Delaware I will give it to you.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Yes, good info. I would have thought just the opposite on the tailgate being down. Thanks
Old 07-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
If you ever come to Delaware I will give it to you.
Ha, thanks, you are very generous. Maybe Craig's list, ha.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
Many years ago was discussing this with an Avionics engineer, old school WW2 vet, extremely knowledgeable. He told me that unless you decrease frontal area, you won't see noticeable improvement. Oh I failed to mention, he was on the SR71 Blackbird design team at Lockheed Burbank!
Well, he ought to know. thanks
Old 07-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #15

You could look up "Air Tabs" and plaster them around the Rear of your towed vehicle! Youroo!!
Old 07-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You could look up "Air Tabs" and plaster them around the Rear of your towed vehicle! Youroo!!
They'll definitely improve fuel mileage. Not because they move air better but due to less weight in the tow vehicle. A lighter wallet

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #17

I've been using the one pictured in the first post for over 10 years. When I first started using it, the TV was an under-powered Dodge B250 extended van. The deflector allowed us to use a/c while towing and maintain 65 mph. Our newer TV is an E350 Ford with the V10.
The wind deflector is mounted at the very rear of the van and adjusted so that the bugs just show up at the very upper corners of the trailer. Does it save me gas, yes just marginally. But it does save me a lot of ladder time trying to get the bugs off the front of the trailer and I can tow most of the time in OD.
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
They'll definitely improve fuel mileage. Not because they move air better but due to less weight in the tow vehicle. A lighter wallet

Yup, $220 for a package of tabs to save $5 for a year of towing. And they make waxing the trailer a bunch harder!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I did, do they work?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood91 View Post
I've been using the one pictured in the first post for over 10 years. When I first started using it, the TV was an under-powered Dodge B250 extended van. The deflector allowed us to use a/c while towing and maintain 65 mph. Our newer TV is an E350 Ford with the V10.
The wind deflector is mounted at the very rear of the van and adjusted so that the bugs just show up at the very upper corners of the trailer. Does it save me gas, yes just marginally. But it does save me a lot of ladder time trying to get the bugs off the front of the trailer and I can tow most of the time in OD.
Thanks, there's a lot of positive reviews on the Icon website but these guys/ gals on this thread don't seem to like them. It seems if the bugs are deflected which is the consensus, then that means it is doing some air diversion also.

You mentioned, it enabled you to run in OD. I recently did some testing with my RAM diesel and the difference between 5th and 6th gear is 1/2 mpg at 65 mph. Over time, that will save some money. Of course the best way to save mpg is to slow down. On the air deflector, I've heard anything from 0 to 3 mpg increase, ha.